Author Topic: CGC Practice Test Disaster!  (Read 12050 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
CGC Practice Test Disaster!
« on: February 14, 2009, 01:21:30 pm »
Ursa took her CGC practice test today and the words total disaster are the only ones that come to mind.  Seriously - if you'd see it you would have thought that she'd never been in training before.  :(

She wouldn't sit, she pulled at the leash, just acted like a jerk in general.  By the end of the practice test it was questionable whether or not I should even take her to the real test next week.  :-[ 

She KNOWS how to do everything required for the test.  For crying out loud - she's known how to sit on command forever - she knew that before she started her first puppy class.  You could tell by her demeanor that she knew what to do but she just didn't want to.

I'm so disappointed, frustrated, upset (and a little angry) - why did she have to pick today to act like a Pyr?

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: CGC Practice Test Disaster!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:47:42 pm »
Yep, that's how they roll!  ::) :P I have been embarrassed waaaay too many times  :o They say that pyrs make people humble...I am on my way...far away  ::)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:28:58 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 03:47:23 pm »
Apollo did the same thing, but at his actual TDI test.  He decided that he didn't feel like walking in the directions that I wanted to go.  He wanted to see all the other nice doggies!  Then he refused to lay down and just sat there looking at me like he had never heard the command "down" before.  I was so frustrated.  But the tester let me try again and he finally listened.  At the end of the test she said she was passing him mostly for his exceptionally sweet personality and calm demeanor and she wanted me to continue working with him on the loose leash walk and down command.  I know I was really lucky to get such an understanding tester.

I hope Ursa's test goes better than the practice one.  I'm sending lots of good luck wishes your way! :D  Just try to stay calm and show off the best of her pyr personality! 

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 04:46:34 pm »
To add insult to injury guess who sat in record time once we got home????    >:(

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: CGC Practice Test Disaster! ** update - the disaster continues.....**
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:18:26 pm »
on the advice of our trainer we've been taking Her Furry Majesty out to work on her weak areas before the CGC.  to say that things have not gone well would be an understatement .

two weeks ago i would have sworn she would pass this test with flying colors.  now i'd have to say that she COULD pass the test but she CHOOSES not to.

to say that i feel like an idiot (for thinking that i could get her through her CGC) and a failure (because it's become painfully obvious that i have NOT successfully trained this dog) would also be an understatement .  i honestly don't know what to try next.  i've emailed our trainer a little while ago but the problem isn't that Ursa doesn't know what to do.  the problem is that she refuses to do it so i'm not sure what help our trainer can offer. 

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:09:28 pm »
Ruthanna, no help to offer, but I do hope that you can find some way to encourage Ursa, and I'm sure you will! Just wanted to throw you a "I'm thinking of you" :)
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:23:45 pm »
Thanks, Chantel!  I guess I just need a shoulder (or two or three) right now.  I can't believe that 6 months of training fell apart in less than 2 weeks.   :-[

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:29:56 pm »
Do you think maybe it is just a phase, though? One of those times where they are going to test you? I know with our Aussie she was great, learned things fast, was always willing to do what I asked, then she seemingly "forgot" what everthing meant (although would do things in certain circumstances, if the reward was deemed good enough) and now all of a sudden she's amazing again. She just turned 1 on Feb. 11th.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:40:06 pm »
I suspect it's a mix of attitude and poor training on my part.  I thought we'd worked through the "no treat no work" thing but it looks like I was wrong. 

In the grand scheme of things I know this isn't that important (at least that's what everyone tells me) but it's not just about the letters behind her name.  It's about having a dog that's well behaved enough to take anywhere and be welcomed.  Right now I have a dog that's a total brat. 

Our trainer answered my email and she still thinks we can do this but I have to say that my confidence isn't what it was. 

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:28:07 pm »
Yep, that's how they roll! ::) :P I have been embarrassed waaaay too many times :o They say that pyrs make people humble...I am on my way...far away ::)

They all do that not just Pyr parents..
I don't know if this will help..they are all so different but I remember when Magic and I were getting ready for our Therapy Dog testing..

Now this is after 3 obedience classes..and a CGC..

One day he simply forgot everything..du mb as a post..

I called my friends in training..and in therapy work and asked  *What am I doing wrong*..not one of them thought it was me at all..but I knew better..

It had to me..so I hit the books about Bouv's after all he was my 1st Bouv...and after about the third read thru..I found what I thought was the answer..

Now like I said this may not apply..but under all the breeds is a dog..

Magic had surpassed my expectations with his training..and I felt very confident he could pass anything..

I was taking him for granted..and he needed from me his leader to KNOW
1.He was doing it right..
2.That I noticed he was doing it right..

Sometimes leaders forget that followers need to be appreciated for lack of a better word..

He was beyond treats..he knew what I was asking of him..he needed my attention to his details..

So I went out to the nearby park and with great humility and a deep breath of pride in both of us ..started like in kindergarden..

The only difference was no treats..just my great delight and happiness in everything he did..

That was all it took..it was me..not him..and I never took him for granted again..

You and Ursa need to forget about any testing and just be together and relax...

Let go of all the frustrations.. and doubts..

Ursa is trying to teach you something..and sometimes we just need to listen ..heart to heart..

Trust yourself and her..

Good luck..
TATFK

lookingfornewf

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:29:32 pm »
Is she perhaps just a little young and would do better another time. I would love for Clifford to have the CGC also, but won't even try until he's maybe 2 yrs old. Some days he is a wonderful obedient dog and other days he's a big bad puppy. I know some dogs mature a lot quicker than others. Clifford is not there yet.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 01:04:11 am »
She is definitely a Pyr  One of their charms?? is that they really don't see us mere humans as superior.

There is a wonderful book titled When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion and deals specifically how to motivate the dogs that are not prone to be obedience minded.  GREAT book

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 01:46:43 pm »
I have to admit, I'm not seeing the "charm" in this situation!   :-\  Thanks for the book recommendation .  I'm going to look for a copy.  I'm still not sure what we're going to do with Her Furry Majesty or her Newfy minions but it sounds like interesting reading!

If Ursa has something to teach me I wish she'd click and treat her way to the point already! 

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 03:29:48 pm »
Sounds like your sense of humor is coming back that is a good sign...being a Mom to our fur kids is neverending..

Another good book is Bones would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier....we ll worth the read as well..

Remember to have fun...if it's not fun then something is wrong..

TATFK

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »
IMO a dog who knows all the CGC stuff and does it great away from the "test or practice test" and then bombs during is suffering from "Handler nerves".