Author Topic: SpecialKDaneMom - NDR  (Read 8561 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
SpecialKDaneMom - NDR
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:39:00 am »
I didn't want to take over the What Do We Look Like thread, but I really wanted to talk more about your bike.  When did you start riding? What type of bike is it?  How do you enjoy riding seperately with your husband, as opposed to riding on the back?  Another one that I gotta ask that bugs my boyfriend Mike, is how often do you like to stop?  I like to stop every 45 mins or so to go to the bathroom or get coffees. 

I go against the grain a little, the bike I would like is not a Harley, the pink chopper was nice to look at, but what I really want is a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom or a Hyosung Aquila 650, both really fun looking bikes.  But blinged out with lots of chrome and some nice Jesse James style pipes.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
Re: SpecialKDaneMom - NDR
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:21:37 pm »
I've only been riding for about 3yrs. My husband has been riding since he was about 10yrs old, so about 35yrs. 
John, my husband, used to race vintage Honda motorcycles(1970'S ish). Here in oregon/washington area is alot of mud/muck and the other end of the spectrum... desert racing w/ his Kawasaki 500(the green machine).  He's an awsome rider, which is wonderful when your learning to ride on the back or on your own. I went through our local motorcycle class at a community college.  their wait list is like 6 months.
My bike is not a harley, but a Honda Shadow. It looks and sounds like one, but not near the cost... we have a family to raise and feed. We're not into brand names... we're into the best combination of cost, reliablity, and fun-ability... good lookin' bike is a definate plus.
I absolutely love riding on my own, but I also love riding with my husband(it's great to sit behind you love and "trust". it's been awhile since I was on the back. the last time I was on the back was last summer when we took an early morning spontaneous ride to the coast(1.5hrs away) just to go to breakfast at a wonderful resturant... Camp 18
(celebrates the historic logging community).
How often do we stop... we have really never checked. My husband is such a layed back person that not much bothers him, so he just takes my lead... since i'm the less experienced rider, I almost always lead, so where ever I go/stop he goes, it doesn't matter to him... he just likes the riding. It's much safer and more enjoyable if everyone takes a break whenever someone wants/needs one. We'll eventually get to wherever we're going.
I also try to make sure that I don't take too many liquids, unless it's hot, cuz my bladder is the size of a pea.
I heart 8) this bunch of custom builders: Jesse James, Billy Lane,Arlen Ness and the late, great and legendary old school builder... Indian Larry  :'(.
Have you been riding long or do you have that hole inside you that needs to be filled and think, "I want to ride, too" as you're sitting in your car/truck on a gorgeous sunny day(that's when I knew it was time)?
We also spend our vacation time with the kids and dogs, camping. We spend our time out in Central Oregon(more desert). We find a remote spot, so the dogs can roam and we can ride. Everyone has dirt bikes, but me... I have a quad(my knees can't take the rough ride of a bike). We're in the process of selling our kids(15 & 16yrs) bikes.  Our son has outgrown his and my daughter wants a quad. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 12:41:26 pm by specialkdanemom »
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:13:39 pm »
I don't currently ride, except on the back of Mikes Suzuki C50 Boulevard.  But I've always wanted to, meeting Mike and riding on the back of his bike just kind of cemented it.  As soon as I can afford a bike, and the insurance, I'll be getting one.  I'm not a huge Harley person either, even though everybody else seems to be.  If I had the kind of money to spend, I'd want an old Indian, why?  Because nobody else has one.  Everybody and their dog has a Harley, but how often do you see an Indian ride by?  8)  In reality though, I'll probably get either the prementioned Kawasaki 900 Vulcan, or Aquila 650, again for the affordability, and like you said funability.  :)

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:39:40 pm »
An Indian would be the ultimate!  Leather seat with the springs.... Ohhhhhhh, heaven.  I'd also like to have one with a sidecar. Talk about fun... one of the dogs could go, too.

modified to add: an alternative 2009 Indian

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2009/01/08/motorcycle-news/2009-indian-motorcycles-delivered-to-dealers/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:48:18 pm by specialkdanemom »

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:48:16 pm »
OMFG!

I'm such a giant dork that would be the ultimate thing for me is to get Naja into the sidecar of a bike!  Get one of those cute leather helmets and some doggles on her!  HA!  I can just picture it in my head. Priceless.  8) :D

I love all the tassles, and the really low fenders on the Indians.  Some nice leather saddlebags with tassles and studs.  lol  I think I'd make a great biker!   :)  The seat is one thing that I really like about the new Harley CrossBones, that one in particular is horribly uncomfortable, but it looks great.  :)

Something a little like this one
http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/savers/Indian-51024X778.jpg, or this one http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/classic-motorcycles-6.jpg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:49:41 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 02:53:58 pm »
lookie, lookie:
here's the models:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009models-Indian.htm

I think I know what bike is next...The 2009 Indian Chief Vintage just not sure which color. seeeee....

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Indian-ChiefVintage.htm

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 02:57:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure it would be the willow green w/ ivory... that color just screams "old school"... but I think all the colors and color combos are awesome.  Just have to find prices. Now I have to print some pics and put it on my "wish board" for all to see. ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:59:22 pm by specialkdanemom »

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:01:17 pm »
OMG

Great minds must think alike, I was looking through the links on that page and just fell in love with that one!  I'd have to go personally with the Indian Red and Cream, with long fender, laced wheel, and white walled tire. *drooling*

The prices are about midway down, for this particular model the bas price is: PRICING
$35,499 delivery, set up and local taxes not
included.

It's a pretty penny, which is why it's my fantasy bike (along with the pink chopper lol). :)

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 03:04:42 pm »
I just found the MSRP.  :P
Looks like I'll have to wait a couple years and find a used one.  But, I've already showed my husband and it's on my wish list!  ;D
Something else to save for.  In two years, we'll be empty nesters.  ;D  ;D  :P   :-\  :'(  ;D  ;D  :'(  ;D

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 03:07:50 pm »
I keep reading farther and:

"The new 2009 Indian Chief is an ultra premium luxury cruiser produced in limited numbers. Indian Chiefs are available in four basic levels of trim with a range of color and accessory options. Prices will start at $30,999. No more than 750 2009 Indians models will be built, with plans to increase production in the second year. All Indian Chiefs are assembled by highly skilled two-man teams, who also personally sign each motorcycle’s build certificate."

With only 750 being made and signed, I believe it will be even longer than earlier predicted.  :-\

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »
Oh my.  How long will it be until they make another model??  Someone told me they will do a limited number every 10 years or so (But that's just hearsay, so I'm not too sure). By then maybe I'll be able to afford it.  ::) :)

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 03:21:21 pm »
Reading this portion of the press release, it doesn't seem that they would limit all the models... too much going into selecting the first few dealers, with more to come. It looks like they're trying to get back into the market in a big way. Maybe it's just the "cheif" model that will be limited(of course cuz that's the one I want... Murphy's Law).

"Given the ultra premium nature of the Indian Motorcycle brand, Indian will be very selective in
judging the quality and number of dealers. By the end of 2008, it is expected that no more than
thirty dealerships will be in place—primarily in top motorcycle markets. A new stand-alone
dealership design of 10,000 square foot will be the flagship in major markets, although it is likely
that these new structures will not be completed until sometime in 2009.

At present, Indian dealers are already staged for opening for Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit,
Denver, Minneapolis, and Los Angeles, with an additional twelve applications being processed. It
should also be mentioned that the emotional appeal, value and power of the Indian brand will soon
result in the launch and merchandising of the highest quality line of motorcycle apparel and
accessories in the industry. Indian Motorcycle Apparel will launch the line this summer. Items will
be available for purchase through dealerships, online at www.indianmoto rcycle.com and at
specialty retail stores.

In subsequent years, Indian plans to expand its dealer network to additional markets. Superior
engineering, quality and performance, the incredible history and present-day cache of the Indian
brand, the exclusivity factor, an obsession with customer satisfaction and a commitment to long
term slow-growth and success are expected to serve Indian Motorcycle Company well into the
future."

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)