Author Topic: help with aggressive 2yr old english mastiff  (Read 4348 times)

Offline fyrfyter7379

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
help with aggressive 2yr old english mastiff
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:26:16 am »
i have a 2 yr ol.d english mastiff that i resuced from a neighbor that was neglecting this dog. he is a 2yr old mastiff. his previous owner worked 12 hour days and would come home and leave the dog outside by himself with no attention.  my wife and i took with the hope that we could give him a good home with lots of love and attention. he is fine around my wife and i and even our other dog. a mixture of scottish terrier and aussie, also a resuce. but when other people come around he turns into another dog. just last night he tried to come through the sliding glkass door after my brother. and he nipped at my mom. i want to try and help him but i dont want someone bitten. the shelters by me wont help because of the aggressiveness and the rescue organization out here in southern california has yet to get back to me. he is not neutered. would that remove some of the aggression? help!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: help with aggressive 2yr old english mastiff
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:23:56 am »
He should be neutered NOW and you also should immediately contact a trainer- preferably one with a background in animal behavior.  This is a problem that can worked with but you need to get with someone with experience in aggression and fear aggression.  This is probably due to him missing critical socialization as a puppy and young dog.  Mastiffs are a guard dog and all that time alone in the yard he is doing what he thinks is right.

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: help with aggressive 2yr old english mastiff
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:29:17 pm »
I recommend this article for you to read.  While it may not have direct relation to dealing with aggression, it has helpful info that I really think could be useful in your situation.

http://rowdyrover.blogspot.com/2006/12/hand-feeding.html