Author Topic: Life with the runs  (Read 5703 times)

Offline New 2 Pyre

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Life with the runs
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:41:49 am »
My 15 week old Male Pyre puppie has the most terrible case of the runs i have seen.......... ..his stomach does not look bloted.he is not feeding alot at the bowl.still takes little meals when he eats.and there was some blood in the stool.......he is going for shots on friday and the vet said not to worry about it.

I am not sure if he got into something or not as his future wife had not been ill at all

Is bloat of diarhea normal in this breed

Thanx a bunch

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Life with the runs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:53:43 am »
What are you feeding him? Often a change to a higher quality kibble helps clear up the runs. Not sure about the blood in the stool though, that would worry me and I would get my pup into the vet ASAP. Kind of scarey your vet said not to worry about it.  I don't think you need to worry about bloat, as far as I know those are not symptoms of bloat.

Edited to say that Holly was way more helpful than I, and she knows her stuff! :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:54:52 am by NewfFan »
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:54:24 am »
Diarrhea is not normal in any breed  :(
Have you checked his stool lately for worms? What are you feeding him? Have you changed his food from what breeder was feeding him?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:27:11 am »
Sounds like a case of worms to me.

Offline New 2 Pyre

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:59:35 am »
i changed the food to innova several weeks ago..no problems with the other dogs so i dont think that is it..........he received a treatment of revolution from the vet just after we got him and then on the 12th.........i thought that was it but the vet said it would not do that. He is happy..he plays.and wrestles with his mate.......... ..just has the issue with his back end. The vet said that the blood is caused by puching to hard......we did wash off his back end and his bum does look sore. I am kinda stumped on this one...since yesterday the blood amount is really gone down and the stool is less watery so i am not to sure at this point.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:41:02 pm »
Blood in the stool is not normal.  Please take him to a vet asap, and not the one who told you not to worry about it.  AThe other ladies on here are much more knowlegable then myself, but I did want to stress, to please take that baby to a vet asap.  Please keep us updated as to how he is too.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:45:18 pm »
Oh goodness, I'd be changing vets if mine was as casual about such a problem.  The more the diarrhea goes on, the much greater chance your puppy will become dehydrated.  Is he drinking a lot to replenish all those lost fluids?   When you grab the skin on his back does it pull away easily?  If it's tight then he's dehydrated and definitely a serious matter.

Rectal temperature of a dog is 99.5 to 102.5 F.  A good thing for anyone to check if their dog isn't feeling well.

If he's still playing and otherwise acting normal, that's good to hear but don't wait until Friday to take him in.