Author Topic: PLEASE do your homework before you buy a dog!  (Read 4366 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
PLEASE do your homework before you buy a dog!
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:46:47 pm »
OH MY GOSH I COULD RIP MY HAIR OUT!  :-[
Gilligan's breeders are at it again. My fiance and his family own a large horse stable, and live in a small town. The breeder is from the same town, so they are fimilar with each other. Well, to make a long story short, Gilligan ended up with my fiance, out at the barn. Some story about the wife now has cancer, no health insurance, they were too embarassed to call me, and they got the humane society involved, saying that Matt and I ditched the dog with them. I guess they are now rehoming all their breeders to. Wow.

So, Gilligan is with Matt, and Matt's falling in love and says he feels sorry for the 'little' guy, who now weighs 13 lbs, by the way.

No idea what to do now, but it looks like we're keeping Gilligan, or at least that is what Matt is saying. I refuse to talk to these people, ever, again. Gilligan will reside at his parents house for now, so these lunatics can't come and try and take him back, because I wouldn't put it past them to do that.

Now I'm in quite the pickle, Matt and I can't do two dogs, but it's not fair to my new pup, or my breeder, so I have to talk to her tomorrow and explain the situation, she is aware of what the crazies have done!

Please, if you're buying a puppy DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and then DOUBLE CHECK IT, because I thought I had, but boy was I wrong. They did send me my money back in the mail yesterday, so we did get him for free, but now I wonder at what cost....

For now, here is a picture of Gil napping on the couch:

-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE do your homework before you buy a dog!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:04:07 pm »
WHOA!  Holy $**t!! (pardon my non language ;) )

So how exactly did he end up at Matt's parents?  Did the humane society contact them?

And you are positive you can't do 2 dogs?  I know with getting married and being in school finances are tight so it would be understandable if you couldn't.  Would Matt's parents be interested in him?  Or at least keep him there until you are able to move?

You know the longer Matt has him there, the harder it will be to rehome him.  ;) *hint hint*  ;D

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:27:47 pm »
Matt took him to his parent house. It's a small town and the humane society director actually brought the dog out to the barn, because they know Matt's family. Matt took the dog to his parents, for safe keeping, haha.

I just got off the phone with him, and expressed that I want to keep my lab and I guess his mom, who does not usually allow dogs in the house, is sleeping with him in her bed right now...maybe he's got a forever home there.

Other wise, I'm all talk, and we'll make it work with two, haha, it was just the overwhelming feeling talking!

-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:20:33 pm »
Haha, thanks Lori!
People probably think I'm crazy, this stuff should be on a soap opera! I suppose I could write a book? People like drama, right?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:30:19 pm »
OK, WAIT.  These people, supposedly breeders, called the human society to tell them that someone didn't come and pick up their puppy!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  OH, these people are winners I'll give them that!!

Maybe Matt's mom is giving Gilligan some TLC, I'm sure he needs some too!!!  Well, I ditto that the lab needs a friend!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:37:30 pm »
Yes, it's not Gilligan's fault, so we'll love him, of course! We're going to snoop around town tomorrow and see if we can do anything about these "breeders." I put in a call to the AKC last week, but have not heard anything back yet, so I'll call again on Monday. They usually sell their dogs on a limited AKC registration, so I assume maybe the AKC can help?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:35:25 am »
OMG!  That's unbelievable!  Sounds like Matt's mom has already been Newfed so Gilligan will have a good home!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us