Author Topic: HEy everyone!!!  (Read 8389 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
HEy everyone!!!
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:09:14 pm »
 Hi guys

I know everyone has been wondering about Bell.  She is doing wonderful.  She had her last radiation and they have very high hopes!!!!  We will find out next week. 

I do have a question though.  My mother in law just got a pug puppy.  She is trying to crate train her and it isnt going very well.  The puppy is 11 weeks old and is almost reversed crate trained.

She only goes in her crate.  She will run around the house and go outside for hors and never go but as soon as she is in the crate she goes almost like she has been holding it. 

How do we get a hold of it we are having to dog sit for the next couple of months becasue my mother in law had a heart attack and is going to have to have open heart surgery.

Any pointers?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: HEy everyone!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:35:33 pm »
I had a feeling it would take longer.  She has a wire crate and i have sectioned it since we have had her.  She now only has room to stand up turn around and lay back down.  I have had to remove all blankets out because she just pees and them and her toys.  We have had her since saturday and she has yet to go to the bathrrom outside.  We have stood outside with her for hours and nothing.  The moment we put her in her crate and walk away she goes.

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:40:41 pm »
I agree with putting something she has already soiled, outside. We did this with a beagle puppy who was a TERROR to try and housetrain, and this helped.

Also, YAY for Bell! Keep us updated on her!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:36:08 pm »
  In addition to putting something she's soiled outside and giving her a verbal cue, you might try giving her a treat when she gets it right.  We gave our little dogs little bite-size pupperoni treats when they peed in the designated spot (we use pee pads).  And tons of praise and excitement!  Just keep a little bag of treats handy by the door if you want her pee outside.  Make the whole experience fun and exciting and they learn quickly.  My Napoleon used to pee and then come looking for me so he could get his treat!  When they were about 6 months old we phased out the treats and just praised them.  Now they're 100% reliable using the pads which is pretty awesome for yorkie mixes, which are notoriously difficult to train!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:11 pm »
ok I took her outside this am and nothing and she didnt go in her crate.  I let Baxter out with her thinking that maybe he could show her what to do.  i left them outside and watchd from the door window.  At first all she did was whine and then she peed right in front of the door. 

I praised her casue technically it was outside and not in her crate but it wasnt really where I wanted her to go.  Should I praise her for going on the back porch?

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:52:53 pm »
I don't know if I'd praise her for peeing on the porch because she'll probably think that's where you want her to go.  I would just ignore that, actually. 

When I was training my little guys, my husband and I would crate them for about 1 to 2 hours, and then take 'em out, put on their leash, and take 'em right to the pee pad.  We'd get a chair and sit there for about up to 15 minutes waiting for them to pee. If they went, we'd praise and treat, and then we'd let them loose for play time.  If they wouldn't pee, we'd put them back in the crate for another hour and try again.  This way, there was no chance for failure and they learned quickly.  It took about a month for my yorkie-maltese to get it 100%.  It only took my bichon-yorkie 2 weeks to learn. 

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »
Yea this puppy was from a breeder that had the puppies in whelping boxes due to the extreme cold.  So all the puppy has known is to go to the bathroon where she sleeps. 

When I got home from work Lily ( the puppy) had gone to the bathroom on her tray in her kennel and pushed it out from underneath it so she wouldnt lay on it. 

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:15:25 pm »
Where are you feeding the pup?  I know cats won't mess where their food is.  I would guess the same would work for dogs.  If I was dealing with this puppy, I would feed it in the crate, then immediately take it outside until it peed or pooped.  I've also read that it's important to keep the puppy outside until it does its business, even if it takes an hour or more. Fortunately, I've never had to undo training so I haven't had to wait that long  ;)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:42:39 pm »
Well after a very long weekend she had one accident in the house and was doinf very well about going outside until today.  We were having snow flurries all day and everytime we would let the pups out they would quickly do their business.  I guess that Lily ( the Pug) didnt really want to stay put outside. so as soon as we went inside she peed and pood in the house.  She also poops in her crate as soon as we put her in it.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 12:27:16 pm »
Ok i have done eveything that everyone has suggested.  We were outside for two and half hours and she finnally peed and pooped twice I brought her back inside and gave her food and water in her crate and she drank water and than peed in her food. 

I havent been letting the other dogs train her how to go outside but I know with Buble when he smelled the other dogs go he would go.  It isnt that I am not being proactive just nothing I did to house train our other three successfully is working with Lily.  I hope I am not coming across as being confrntational but I have done everything that I know as a puppy parent to try to housetrain her for the past couple of weeks.