Author Topic: How Not to Buy a Puppy...  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
How Not to Buy a Puppy...
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:03:55 pm »
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
Re: How Not to Buy a Puppy...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:32:02 am »
I watched this program too, and I agree with the fact that- Hello?!?!  They bought a puppy for the purposes of the program, which I think completely contributes to the problem, AND the puppy they bought was NOT staying with the person who bought her....at the end, they mentioned that though the lady had grown fond of the dog (Hope) it was time to hopefully find her a forever home now.  That part made me mad, as now where will poor Hope end up if they can't find a home?  Back in the shelter.  And (though I disagree on how pet stores obtain their animals) IMO, she would have been better left at the pet store.

I do also have to add my two cents in, because while I would never buy a puppy (or kitten) from a pet store because of where they come from, I do believe that rescuing dogs/puppies from city shelters or breed rescue organizations is ok, and something that needs to be done.

I don't believe the only place to get a "good, quality" dog is from a reputal breeder where the parents have a pedigree a mile long...

For example, my Tucker is 100% full out Bernese Mountain Dog, and we adopted him from our local SPCA.  He and his sister were dropped off at the SPCA in a box, with the staff having no knowledge where they came from, or why the owners couldn't care for them.

To some people, it may make Tucker less desirable in their eyes, because he is not registerable, he does not have papers, I did NO research into the breed prior to adopting him (not counting what I knew of BMDs from seeing them in our neighborhood), I had no idea of his lineage, no idea what his parents looked like.

But that doesn't make me love him any less, nor does that make him any less valuable or important to me.  I would rescue a dog that needed help, though I would never buy from a pet store.

Just my opinion.
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: How Not to Buy a Puppy...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:11:06 am »
I think it said that Hope was taken to an american eskie rescue.  So she won't end up in a shelter.

but I do agree that buying a puppy for the sake of a story was a bit hypocritical.