Author Topic: Yet another training class? What would you do?  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Yet another training class? What would you do?
« on: March 07, 2009, 04:33:09 pm »
I need some help making a decision on a new training class.

The Newfs have just started their CGC classes. We have 5 more weeks to go there. No worries about Fargo but Sadie has suddenly hit the "i don't have to listen to you" stage. Consequently little Muppet-head now has to work with the Warden (aka me) until she gets it back in gear.

Meanwhile, I've been researching classes for Ursa who just finished her CGC. I found what looks to be a perfect special skills class that's at a good time and with an excellent trainer who has experience with the less obedience minded breeds. It's not the Rally class I was hoping for but might actually better a better transitioanl class for her.  The problem is that the special skills class is only offered 1 or 2 times a year and it's sign up now and start next week or wait an undetermined amount of time until the next one rolls around.

Should I go for it and continue my pattern of non stop training or put Ursa on hold until the Newfs make it through their CGC tests? I'm used to working the dogs separately because no two are ever completely on the same level at the same time but this will be the biggest skills gap I've faced.

I'm hoping that those of you who train multiple dogs can help me decide.  How much more difficult is it to get everyone trained when they start heading in different directions?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:57:59 pm by Ursa »
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another training class? What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:39:16 am »
Does the school offer any kind of Novice obed walk in classes that you could use like every other week to fill in the time gap?

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:03:46 am »
Unfortunately we live too far away from the big Obedience Clubs to take advantage of something like that.

Our choices are to either put Ursa on the back burner until the Newfs finish CGC training or keep looking for another clas/trainer or sign her up now and still do extra work with Sadie.

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

jesday

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:02:23 am »
You sound much more consistent with your training than I, so this may not be relevant to you.

I haven't worked with my bubs training wise, for many months and wanted to get back into it with Syrus while Sophie was rehabing again. I enrolled in a repeater clicker class to kind of pick up where I left off.

The class is full of 5-6 month puppies right out of puppy school. They ran rings around 16 month Syrus. In other words, I felt completely in the wrong class. It was like Syrus had never been in a class at all. Being a newf he wasn't unruly, but sure seemed like he had forgotten EVERYTHING. :-\

Oh, I do have a point. :D I'd continue with non-stop training. :)