Author Topic: Hi I am a Newbie with a Newfie  (Read 13753 times)

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
Hi I am a Newbie with a Newfie
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:26:50 am »
I am so excited to find this message board! I love all the pictures and advice.  I just wanted to say I just got my Newfie about 1 1/2 months ago, and each day I fall more and more in love with her! It seems like they keep their puppy eyes into adulthood.  ;D  How do you keep from spoiling those puppy eyes?  ::)  Is it even possible? haha!  Boy am I in trouble!
I just love how she greets me with that sideways wag of the tail! Do your Newfie's make a lot of vocalizations?  When Suzy Q is going down the steps, she is like woof woof grr all the way down. Then her whining sounds when she is frustrated is like a baby's gurgles.  It is so adorable!
Well anyway just wanted to say HI!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:28:14 am by happyflower »

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
Re: Hi I am a Newbie with a Newfie
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:46:07 am »
Suzy Q is almost 4 months!  I guess the whining is more like a grumble. lol If that makes any sense. I have more pictures of Suzy Q on my website http://psychoflowers.blogspot.com/  I am still trying to figure out my way around this site.  You puppy is sooo cute, so distinguished!

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:08:00 am »
Welcome!

Our Newfs are also pretty vocal - especially Fargo.  He sounds like a Wookie!!

Your puppy is adorable! 
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:20:31 am »
Just wanted to say welcome! Your newfie girl is adorbale!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 07:33:34 am »
Hello and welcome!  Glad to have you here!
I see you have a keeshonden as well, a very nice looking boy.
Have to say I loved the pic of your cat relaxing with the guineas....... .....LOL.  You certainly don't see that every day!  :D

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:56:41 pm »
Thanks everyone!

I am a little disgusted with my cute little newfie today. grrrrrrrr. lol  She doesn't want to go outside to go potty without my other doggie, well being a Keeshound who normally hates to go potty in the rain, will avoid it at all costs. So my puppy basically went potty all day inside.  yeah, I took her out to go but then she whines a the door and won't go without her buddy. Plus she is getting into lots of trouble today because she wasn't walked to get rid of excess energy.  It has been a long day........... .... Plus I didn't think I would have to buy another bottle of Natures Miracle.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:59:56 pm by happyflower »

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 03:01:58 pm »
My cat loves the guinea pigs!  I wouldn't leave them alone, but normally he comes up to snuggle when we are holding our guinea pigs. They actually groom each other!  My little piggies will be able to actually hide in my newfie! lol

Offline I want a Newfie!!

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:28:25 am »
Hi I am very interested in getting a newfie puppy but my spouse is concerned that since they are a large breed that they are as destructive as labs or german shorthairs.  So far how is your as a puppy? I have read so many things on newfie's but nobady talks about how they are as babies. Can you shed some light please?

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 04:33:40 pm »
My Newf is the best dog I have ever owned.  I can't explain it.  I have had many other dogs but none have ever been like her.  Her destructive phase lasted only until she was finished teething, and even then, it wasn't bad as long as she had something appropriate to chew on.

She did have typical puppy energy, but she is 2 yrs old now and she is a big couch potato when she is indoors.  I would say the thing to consider most would be the hair and drool  ;D
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 11:16:30 pm »
welcome suzi-Q and mom!!!  enjoy the baby stage it wont last long!!

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 06:38:51 pm »
Thank You so much for responding and putting my mind a little more at ease.  We had the privledge tonight of going to a play in a smaller town from here where one pet store owner has four newfs three of which were at his store with him so I was in heaven.  I love thier gentleness and they are so majestic!! Any how he has one that is fifteen and healthy!! I was so inspired! We are in the process of researching the breed to try to learn all we can about them We are sure there are things books don't tell you but we want to ensure we are great Newfie parents before we get one.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 03:37:09 am »
Thank You so much for all the information on newfies.  I am trying to educate myself as much as possible and ensure that when I get a newfie it is not an impulse buy because theya re cute.  Have you had any issues with Bloat? What's the best way to prevent it?

Kirsti

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 04:42:35 am »
Welcome! What a cute newfie pup. That is one breed I have never seen in my area  :( But they are sure cute! and what attitueds!!

~Kirsti

Offline happyflower

• Gnawer
  • Suzy Q
    • View Profile
    • Psychoflowers
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 02:44:13 pm »
Thanks!  She sure has the innocent look down pat, but don't be fooled! lol

Offline KylieMay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 03:43:45 pm »
Hi! She is an *adorable* pup! Looks fresh from a bath, too-- (that only lasts like 5 min., right?) :)

I was always tempted to call my first Newf SuzyQ as a nickname but have a relative named Susan so had to keep reminding myself not to. (She had plenty of other nicknames, especially Miss America!)
Kylie
Owned by Mayhem, 1.5 yr-old Newfie

Chumley, Newfie, 1996-2008