BPO Training Forum > Behavior, Housebreaking, Obedience

I've run out of excuses

(1/2) > >>

Scootergirl:
I love Kentucky, she makes me smile and can be very cuddly, but I don't know what else to do to keep her from pulling and lunging.

I've tried harnesses, gentle leaders, haltis, The Dog Whisperer's Illusion Leash, and the pinch collar.

I've tried "eh-eh" and touching her neck like Caesar does when she gets excited and starts pulling.

I've tried making her sit until she calms down before going forward again.

I always make sure she comes out and goes in the door behind me.

First, I attributed it to the fact that she was a puppy, then I excused her for being a hard-headed teenager, but the excuses are running out and so is my patience.

She is fine on the leash unless she sees or senses some other life form in the vicinity.

I need professional help! What more can I do??

lookingfornewf:
I think your last sentence answered the question. You need help. How about trying another obedience class. As soon as I have time that is what I am going to do with Clifford. I think he needs to be around other dogs more so it's not so exciting when he sees one. Good Luck.

kathryn:
Maybe start counter conditioning and desensitising her to other people and dogs around while looking for a trainer.  Take her to a place where she is a good distance away from people/dogs/whatever makes her pull and lunge and then when she doesn't react give her treats like mad until the thing goes away.  Keep doing this and then slowly decrease the distance between her and the object that she is reacting to over a period of time. 

I can sympanthize with you on this because Shiner does the same thing.  Unfortunately for my two I had just started looking for a behaviorist and then hit a financial slump.  So no trainer for us. 

Ursa:
I have to admit that I'm surprised that the prong collar didn't work.  That stops even Bulldozer Fargo in his tracks.

I agree that desensitizing is the way to go here while you find an experienced trainer. 

This sounds silly but I find that a really tiring play session before a walk helps to keep mine in line and focused when I need them to be.  I use this a lot if I know they're going to be somewhere with bunches of exciting distractions.

jennifer:
All good suggestions (per usual). :)

I finally started using the prong collar when Bear, in his excitement to get to the dog across the street, pulled me into a busy street almost causing a car crash. Not a good scene. The collar -- when used correctly (high on the neck, just behind the ears) -- plus a lot of 'good boy' treats, worked magic. The slightest flick of my wrist and my saying "with me" would bring his attention back to me and curb his enthusiasm. He was never able to 'play' with other dogs but walking was a much calmer and happier experience.

Don't fret. You'll find what works for your pups. In the meantime, know that plenty of us on BPO feel your pain. Hang in there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version