Author Topic: Next time he will be SHOT!  (Read 7095 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Next time he will be SHOT!
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:41:53 am »
Teddy has decided that the underground fencing isn't enough of a deterent to keep him from playing with the neighbours sheep. 

Yesterday, he went to their house and was galloping around in the sheep pen - didn't hurt any of them except for running them around.  Unfortunately, they are all pregnant and that is how our neighbours make their living.  If any of the sheep abort their lambs over the next few days, we are responsible. 

She came and got Trevor yesterday (after she tried to catch him and Teddy thought it was a big game), and thank goodness he was home!  But.....she said that if their is a next time, she may not be able to do that (I totally get her point, if she cant catch him and he's running her sheep, she would have to do something to prtect her livelihood).

So, Teddy is back to being on the leash to go potty.  No going outside to play, nothing.  Tonight we are going to shave his neck and re-check his shock fencing collar.  Maybe new batteries will fix the running away?  Sure hoping so!!

I'm feeling kinda crappy about it today.  Sure hope her sheep are OK.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Next time he will be SHOT!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 01:06:07 am »
Ugh, i hate neighbours...
Poor Teddy, he wants to be free and make friends, even if its befriending some sheeps... :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline doublesaints

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 01:18:06 am »
HOLY SHEEP!!!   :o  Poor Teddy...he wants to play!  I have no doubt that mine would do the same thing. 
Kelly -
owned by:
Ruby - Saint
Jade - Saint
Joe - Cat
RatRat - Ferret

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 02:13:10 am »
Oh No!

I'm glad Teddy is back home now.  Is there any way you could put in some cheap chicken wire fencing.  I've been trying to convince my step father to let me do that.  It may be ugly, but it would contain him hopefully.  Good luck, and I hope you don't have any more nasty run ins with the neighbors.  ;) :)

BTW, I didn't mention this in your other post, but Teddy sure is looking handsome!  :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 02:15:51 am »
My old Rotts sire was shot and killed for playing one to many times with the neighbors sheep so it really is a ASAP type of thing. Can't you run farm fancing in a section of your yard? Its rather inexpensive.

Offline doublesaints

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 02:17:57 am »

BTW, I didn't mention this in your other post, but Teddy sure is looking handsome!  :-* :-*

I agree...he is a beautiful boy!  
Kelly -
owned by:
Ruby - Saint
Jade - Saint
Joe - Cat
RatRat - Ferret

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 02:31:50 am »
Although he is just playing it is true that a dog chasing the sheep can kill them just by over running them and the stress can also cause an abortion. So the neighbor does have a valid concern.  And more sheep are killed by the neighbors dogs than predators in many parts of the nation. The underground fence doesn't work with all dogs- many find they can run through without any serious consequences. A cable run will work in the meantime until you can make your yard escape proof.  Good luck!

Tonda

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 02:33:11 am »
Sadly those electric fences don't deter dogs who really want to get "out", esp once they've learned/accepted that they can trade the ZAP for freedom.

Hope you come up with a solution to keep your boy safe.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:40:35 am »
Can't you run farm fancing in a section of your yard? Its rather inexpensive.
Farm fencing is a great idea! Quick and inexpensive  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:52:41 am »
You seem to understand the neighbor's point of view. It doesn't sound like they are mean-spirited, they just have a livelihood to protect. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to try and bring him home.

Unfortunately understanding doesn't apply to Teddy. I'm sure he doesn't understand why he can't play with those furry little puff balls.

I'm not sure how farm fencing compares in cost, but we recently put up deer fencing around about 3 acres of our 10.
We ordered it online and everything was shipped right to us. The cost was pretty good for fencing off a large area.

It has worked well keeping the deer our and the bubs in. Moose should be showing up any day now so we will see how it holds up to them. Anyway, here is the site. http://www.deerbusters.com/deer-fence-rolls.html

Good luck with that big boy.

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 05:19:27 am »
I'm sure he felt like a zap was worth running with sheep but I would consider some sort of fencing so that poor bay can do alittle running around. Hope the the sheep and their lambs are ok (which will keep your boy out of trouble).
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties