Author Topic: Health Issues  (Read 9750 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Health Issues
« on: April 08, 2005, 02:42:22 pm »
Seamus has been experiencing some health issues lately.  About a month ago he had a UTI, and now he has an ear infection.
His appetite decreased when he got the UTI and now it is pretty much non-existant.  He will eat some with coaxing, but not very much (about 4 cups at the most).  I can tell he is dropping weight and he was already a little small to begin with.
I asked the vet last week about the decreased appetite, and he thought it may be due to the antibiotics.  However, he has been off of them for about 5 days and it seems to be getting worse.
Also the past two days he has pooped in the house.  He didn't even do this when he was a puppy.  It is so out of character for him.
I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I was hoping someone might have some insight to this.  I thought if someone could tell me what it may be, then maybe I could be sure the vet tests for it. 
Does anyone have any ideas?  Thank you!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Health Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 03:11:53 pm »
Poor baby! I have no idea what it might be but I hope everything turns out ok. Let us know when you find out ok?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 04:32:06 pm »
ohhhh... it's so scary when there is something wrong and they can't tell you!  Let me offer up our recent encounter.... see if it helps. Cassie was losing her appetite as well and whenever she did eat she was throwing up.  We took her to the vet and they x-rayed her over a period of two days to determine if she had eaten something that was causing an obstruction.  They gave her barium and then did a series of x-rays. 

The vet told us that she did not have an obstruction, and that usually the barium, completely cleans them out, and sort of re-boots their system.  After the barium cleared she was right as rain.  Back to her old self.... still a very finicky eater she has to be coaxed to eat 3-4 meals per week. 

The poop in the house is a definite indicator there is something wrong....I understand the out of character behaviour. I hope Seamus, just has a little bug or something.... by the way our vet bill for that encounter with 3 sets of x-rays and bloodwork was right around 360.00.  We were a bit sticker shocked but we were also happy to find out there was nothing wrong.  Have you changed food recently??? dumb question I know, but thought I should ask. 
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 11:11:43 am »
We haven't changed his food, but he has been getting different treats as well as some people food (green beans, and chicken).  I know thats bad, but with his antibiotics he had to have some food on his stomach.  At first I thought it was the antibiotics, and then I thought he was being finicky b/c now he knows what good food tastes like.  Then the pooping happened and I knew it was more than that.

Sometimes antibiotics can cause inflammation of the bowles or stomach and this can account for the loose stool, and lack of appetite.  I'm hoping it is something as simple as that.  Or perhaps a parasite or something.

The thing that scares me the most is that my sister's basset almost died from something similar to a appendisitus(sp?).  He had eaten rotten food and got a huge infection.  He was having the same symptoms as Seamus and then one day my sister got home and he couldn't even move.  It was a huge ordeal and $10,000 later he is better, but how scary! 

I'll let everyone know when I do.  You can learn a lot from these things.  It's great!

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 06:31:46 pm »
Hooray! Seamus is okay.  The antibiotics he was on for his UTI caused inflammation in his stomach and thats why he hasn't been able to eat.  He is on medication and special food, and is expected to be back to normal in about a week.  Yeah!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

awo

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 05:46:04 pm »
I'm so glad your baby is okay, I hope he get's better soon.

awo