Author Topic: RIP Tanner  (Read 6399 times)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
RIP Tanner
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:40:13 pm »
This email was sent to me from the adoptive mother of my 2puppies Mastiff/Boxer mix. My heart goes out to her Marina

This email is very hard for me. Mainly due to the fact that I cannot do it justice, or fully express my feelings.
For those of us who dearly love our animals and all the creations we are blessed with...we know the joy they bring to our lives. They give so much more than they take. They enrich and teach us to many lessons, if we just take the time to notice.
For me, my Tanner was such a treasure.
He was born in Ontario, Canada and came from champion lines on both his parents' sides. His pedigree is certainly impressive to say the least! Yet, he was sold into the wrong hands for the first three years of his life.
Confined to be abused in so many ways, and then confined to live in total darkness in a barn. No attention, no light, no companionship. ..and left to sleep and spend his days locked in a stall buried in his own urine and feces...for 3yrs!
When I found Tanner, he could not walk due to his muscles atrophying, could barely see from being in the d! ark for so long, his coat was saturated with what he was forced to lay in, his tail was dislocated, ears ulcerated....h e was a the sorriest animal I had ever laid eyes on. Yet, There was a kindness to him...a genuine willingness to forgive if just given a chance.
I loaded Tanner in my car, with all the windows rolled down! I had no idea how or if he'd recover, but I wanted to try and help him somehow.
After 9 hours of grooming, my family was able to finally approach him. His next stop was the vet.
In such bad shape for so long, and still unable to walk...not to mention the whole host of other ailments...the vets examining him strongly suggested that I just put him to sleep since they did NOT expect him to survive a month!
One look in those big, brown seal-like eyes...I knew that wasn't an option. Tanner was never given a chance. I wanted to give that to him. Whether it be a month, a year or many years. That was August of 2000. Nine years ago!!!
At! first it was loading him onto the 4-wheeler, 3-4 times a day ! to take him to the pond for his " water therapy". He LOVED to feel the freedom of swimming and moving his own weight around without help. Then, when he could finally walk on his own, he'd patrol the perimeter of our house and barn (which the path is still worn from him doing so over the years). Although Tanner was in need of a double hip replacement, but not a candidate for one, he stil managed to do very well with good nutrition, acupuncture treatments, supplements, comfy beds and LOADS of love.
I hope Tanner was happy here with us. If he wasn't, he certainly hid it well...
I've had many dogs and other animals throughout my life, but none like my Tanner. Everyone loved and respected him. The other animals treated him like he was the Grand Daddy of the property. Utmost respect and looked to him for approval and protection. He and I had a bond that is very hard to put into words. My only regret is that I didn't find him sooner and that he had to s! uffer those first years of his life! But, true to his nature...Tanne r did not hold a grudge and ...like most rescued dogs...was always grateful and ever present.
Although I knew this day would come, but hoped it wouldn't...I had to make the decision to put Tanner to sleep yesterday.
Someone had driven over him at my barn while I was away for the day, and left him. When we all came home that evening, we found him lying in the barnyard in shock. At first , I had thought he must have had a stroke, but soon realized otherwise. My vet came here to see him. She took some x-rays and found he had badly fractured his left hind leg. He would've needed surgery and pins. Both of which would not be an option for such an old dog with his history. I couldn't let him suffer any longer.
So, my son Paul made Tanner a Bacon sandwich (his favorite) and we laid on his bed with him until he quietly fell asleep in our arms. The last words he heard were how much we loved h! im and what a wonderful friend he has been to us all.
The! kids pi cked a place to bury him, outside my bedroom window, where he would diligently sit on so many nights...as if to protect me.
As most of you know and have experienced at some point in your lives.....Thes e wonderful animals are such treasures. Unreplaceable. One-of-a-kind. Forever missed, but always cherished.
These photos of Tanner are over the past nine months. He was a Platnim Golden Retriever and weighed nearly 140lbs. He was my "Blonde Grizzly Bear."
I cannot even begin to tell you how much I will miss him...my family will miss him. But, like Tanner...we are very grateful for what we had with him.

- Lisa

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 04:42:30 pm by marinafb »
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Tanner
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:18 pm »
Marina, please pass on my heartfelt condolences to Lisa.  Tanner was a precious boy and her tribute to him was beautiful.  She gave him a new life with lots of love and I'm certain that he loved her dearly in return.

Tanner's pics make me think of Daisy.  My sweet girl is 10 y/o now with the white face and wise eyes that come with age.  It breaks my heart to know that one day we'll lose her, also.   :'(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:28:46 am »
 :'( I am trying very hard to fight back the tears.... may you rest in peace sweet Tanner.
Please pass my sympathies to Lisa and her family for the passing of this wonderful boy.
Lots of love and kisses
Adrienne & Titan

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 07:25:38 am »
Oh Marina, please send my love to Lisa... I'm trying to hold back the tears too...

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 04:18:39 pm »
What a wonderful tribute.  My condolences to your friend and her family.

Go run now Tanner, you deserve it. RIP
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:28:39 am »
Oh Marina, please send my love to Lisa... I'm trying to hold back the tears too...

Can't hold the tears back. Bless that poor boy I hope he is finally running and playing with our babies on the bridge! I so glad you got to prove to him that not all people are bad and his hanging on those 3 years was worth it in the end.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties