Author Topic: I NEED EVERYBODY'S HELP RIGHT NOW!!!  (Read 5905 times)

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
I NEED EVERYBODY'S HELP RIGHT NOW!!!
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:46:38 am »
Do not read and skip this!

A puppy will soon have the worst life possible for a dog and I want to stop it before it happens! I need everyone's contribution of ideas for this! From the shamefully backstabbing to the full-frontal attack, let 'em roll in.

Background story.

My fiance's uncle, who is turning 21 in a few months, requested a puppy off his parents as his gift.

He lives with his parents because he has a bone disease, brain damage, three types of epilepsy, he's half-blind and he has the mentality of a 10 year old {in all seriousness-he was tested, and that was the end result}
He has temper problems...he punched my two year old daughter in the eye because she tripped over in front of the tv, which caused him to miss the final goal of his soccer team.
He sleeps all day and wakes up at 10:00 pm to watch tv all night, before he goes back to sleep at about 9:00 am.
He exercises by walking from his bedroom to the kitchen, then to the loungeroom. He actually had to go to hospital because he wasn't getting enough sun.

Anyway, they {his parents} want to buy a Labrador puppy from a backyard breeder for his present. {why backyard? Because it's cheaper}
They asked me to draw them up a list of what they need to buy for the dog. Apparently being a veterinary nurse's assistant made me the authority of the year.

Instead, I drew them up a questionnaire that I said he could read and write the answers into, then I'd read it over and tell them what breed is most suitable for them.

Here's the actual questions, and the actual answers, with actual grammar.
Skip this part if you can't be bothered reading it.

1. Why do you think you're the right sort of person to own a dog?
Because they are easy to take care of and cheap

2. Can you afford a dog? Remember, they can cost thousands of dollars a year, if they have a disease or illness.
not if they never go to the vets

3. Are you aware of what puppies eat, and what dogs eat?
Yes a bowl of dry food every morning and water at night.

4. How much exercise will you be giving your dog, and when?
Backyard is big so no walks

5. Will you desex your dog?
no too much money

6. Will you attend any puppy classes, obedience classes or training schools?
no too much money and not enough time to do it

7. Are you prepared to spend most of your day playing with, grooming and caring for your dog?
when we have spare time

8. Are you prepared to share up to 12 years of your life with your dog?
no when they get too old you put them down

9. Where will your dog sleep?
backyard

10. What toys will your provide when you're not there to play with it?
tennis ball

11. How many times a week are you prepared to groom your dog?
if it never gets dirty it won't need it ever

12. Are you aware that puppies need housebreaking, and you will have to be awake and in a positive frame of mind to teach this?
if it sh*ts in the house you f*ckin smack it one and it won't do it again

So, horrified, I said "DON'T get a dog! Get him a guinea pig or a rat or anything BUT a dog!".
But no, he wants a dog, so they're set on buying a dog. The only thing I improved is now they're only wanting to buy from a proper Labrador breeder, albeit the cheapest one they can find.
Oh, and they chose a Labrador breed, because he can pronounce it.
Yes, that was the main reason for their decision. :o

Now, I'm not above doing the sneaky and calling the RSPCA or the Council on them. I'm a staunch defender of animal kind, and I'll gladly dob even my closest mate in if I think they're mistreating an animal.
My ideas included:

* Calling every Lab breeder in my state and telling them NOT to sell to these people, giving them the names and a copy of their answers to my questions.
* Calling the RSPCA and asking for help and advice.
* Calling the Council and doing the same.
* Arranging for the fence to be cut and the puppy to mysteriously disappear once it arrives in the h*ll-hole they call their house.

The parents aren't suitable to care for a dog, either.
His father is an alcoholic, is breaching 80 years old, and spends most of his time at the pub or asleep.
His mother works 18 hours days, except for Sundays, when she sleeps all day.

They also have a three year old in the house that is one of those type of horrid kids who take pleasure in kicking animals.

So, guys, I need some help.
It's 3 months until they go looking for a puppy, so I need advice NOW.

and no, I won't mind my own business. That dog will live in h*ll for it's entire life, and i will not allow it to happen.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: I NEED EVERYBODY'S HELP RIGHT NOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:44:28 am »
Sorry but I have placed dogs in homes with developmentall y disabled and it has worked out fabulous for the dog as well as the handicapped person.

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »
I'm disabled myself, and I have dogs,so I know what pets can do for the disabled. I'm not contesting that.

I'm contesting that the parents don't intend on taking it to a vet's, ever. I discussed the questionnaire with his parents and they agreed- unless it's dying, it won't go to the vet's for shots, for check-ups, nothing.
nor do they intend to ever exercise it or play with it.
nor do they intend even buying a dog house for it. They have a trailer in the backyard, and they said that it can sleep under that, like the old dog used to.

He killed his last dog in a fit of anger. He drowned it in the kiddie pool because it chewed through the microwave cord.

THAT'S why I'm trying to stop this.

If the parents were willing to help out, I'd have no issue with it. But they told me that if it needs anything, that's his problem.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:06:20 pm »
Sad part is there isn't much you can do to stop it other then contacting breeders. However the breeders who will care are the good ones, the ones they will not go to for a pup any how. I guess the only thing you can do is step in after the pup is there and call the animal cruelty investigators to help.

I do have a question though, you said:
"They also have a three year old in the house that is one of those type of horrid kids who take pleasure in kicking animals."

Who is taking care of this 3 yo if they sleep all day? Also is this child abused?

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:48:10 pm »
I thought,too,that maybe a dog would be beneficial. But you know the situation alot better.

If you steal the dog, grab the 3 year old on the way out.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:19:01 am »
Actually the answers to the questionaire do not say that the dog will never go to the vets, nor does it say the dog will get no exercise and they won't play with it.  Perhaps they told you that verbally.  I agree that you need to have your fiance on board with this, its always difficult to intervene in family matters especially if you are not part of the family.

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 04:59:37 am »
Ok, honestly?

I'm actually wondering if this is a real post. I don't know you, so sorry for questioning you...but, he punched your two year old in the eye and you didn't press charges and he KILLED A DOG by drowning it in a kiddie pool?

Is this for real?

Why do you even associate with these people?

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:44:48 pm »
Definitely contact the RSPCA for advice. Maybe if he gets the dog, they can take possession of it, though they may have to have proof of abuse. I don't know.

Short of that, I think Tina may be right. His answer to potty training, the fact that he's not going to take the dog to the vet, and his lack of concern for his potential dog (it's cheap so it's a good idea?) all make this a horrible set up.

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 06:32:14 am »
I would call the SPCA and Children's services while your at it. I have seen stuff like this just down the block from me and I really feel for you. Sounds like he needs to be living in a group home to handle him and the little one needs to be in foster. Contact all local breeders and anyone listing labs in the local paper.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties