Author Topic: Need help...my Newf smells awful!  (Read 15082 times)

Jen

Need help...my Newf smells awful!
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:49:36 am »
Need help.. my Newf smells soooooooo bad I can't breath.  S.O.S send help!

Nicole

Re: Need help...my Newf smells awful!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 09:56:50 am »
Give him a bath, silly! Here, use these:

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 10:08:03 am »
Is that where Marit is? I was wondering where she was!!!

Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 10:25:22 am »
LOL poor Marit, I'm sure she will have many stories to tell when she gets back!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 10:33:59 am »
Newfs will get stinky due to several things.
is the coat completly combed out or blown off with a high velocity dryer on a monthly basis?
when hair is clumpy than it is time to bath and use the dryer on them, or , they will hold odor due to:
skin not getting air, dry scaley stuff causing bacteria build up.
Thyroid problems also cause stink
and if a female and she is spayed, she may be leaking urine, Shaving her privates and a path down there helps.
Anal glands could be the problem to, but normally it is not the glands but not knowing the proper maintenance for coats.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Jen

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:31:01 am »
Oh I've done it all.  She is a CH show dog that I adopted after the breeder who was using her as a brood bitch had to spay her due to a bleed out during her last welping and she is bathed and groomed often.  Her coat is silk! We had privates and arm pits were shaved by a big time prof. groomer.   The groomer also said she has NEVER smelled anything like her and she has several Newfie clients.  And she wears a clean bib so the drool doesn't stagnate on her coat.  Her thyroid has been tested and is fine.  She has been checked by the vet regarding this issue and the vet said holding her nose ...I see what you mean but she checks out OK medicaly (thought there might be a smelly cyst somewhere or a dental problem)Her diet has also been experiemented with to eliminate it as the sourse.  I have tried anti deoderants that a payed big bucks for at a dog show.  NEXT.....Help I am running out of oxygen...can't breath...call for help!

Jen

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:13:22 pm »
Jenn
the thyroid can go at any time, did the test get done in house
or did they send it to the unniversity, i would definatly dig deeper, evidantly something is wrong.
i had a spayed girl come to me for grooming smelled god awful, it was due to dribbling pee.
she had to be kept shaved out, on a weekly basis in the privates, is she leaking?
next i would wonder if it is actaully her diet.
they eminate thru their skin the diet they have.
what food is she eating?
Photography by Christine

Anakalia

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 12:30:09 pm »
I'm not an expert by any means, but it sounds like you need ideas on what it could be.  I used to be a Vet Assistant and I've smelled some horrifying doggie odors. lol  The first thing I thought of was ears.  Does she have problems with her ears?  Infections or anything?  I've seen a few Goldens that smelled horrible even tho they just had ear problems they just stunk to high heaven.  If it's not the ears which it may not be since it sounds like you've had her checked out by the vet.  I'm wondering if feeding a raw diet would help.  I'm not a raw feeder, but I've read a little about it and it does help with odors.  She could just have an imbalance of sorts inside her body that's causing the odor you may want to look into vitamins or mineral suppliments. 

Like I said NO expert, just thinking outloud.  Hope you can get the problem solved.  Poor girl hopefully she's not self concious about this.

Andi

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »
ahhhh
yes i know just what you are tal,ing about anuhka!
had that with the grooming and clinic to!
good suggestion on the ears.
Photography by Christine

Jen

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 02:38:22 pm »
Hi guys

Thanks for putting on the thinking caps for us.  I am miffed as well.  We did the diet thing to see but nothing changed.  Raw diets scar the bejeeses out a me... way too many risks for me.  The odor is not comming from the nether region it's up around her mane, she drools in the mane and I am still leaning strongly towards something in that neck of the woods like maybe a k-9 dentist should be called in.  Her ears smell fine and believe me ...I KNOW that smell.  This smell she has, it smells like really bad arm pit smell like if you were camping in the summer for a week and forgot your deoderant and a change of clothes and spent your days hiking up the Grand Canyon  it's kinda like what you would smell like by the time you got to the top.  It's almost a human smell..are really smelly human.

Jen

nickerbokker

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 03:07:58 pm »
dude.  im sorry, because i like you and mean no disrespect.... .BUT, i laughed the whole time i read this thread!!!!! 

i cannot image having a relally smelly dog...i wash them all the time so they never smell.....BUT, not being able to find the source, and having to cover your nose and mouth....it just makes me laugh!  i can see you all walking around in those hospital masks hardly able to breathe desperate for answers that never appear!

im so sorry, and so laughing right now!

Jen

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 03:23:21 pm »
SHE IS bathing everyday!  No offense taken BTY.  We go swimming everyday than  lather her up I rinse her off after I use an awesome smelling detangler and follow with a great brushing while using a hair dryer.  I wash her collar and her bib every night.  We should be walking around with gas masks...instea d I have those plug-ins in EVERY outlet of my home!  The vet checked her mouth for absess but she checked out OK.  BTY the bib smells toxic by the end of the day,  it's got to be something in her drool or around her neck and chest.  I am thinking of shaving her there or using a thinning blade.  What do you guys think... couldn't hurt right?

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 04:41:07 pm »
ok jenn
reading your replies this is what i would do.
take a fine toothed comb, comb out her neck and chest.
than if you can borrow one, do it, or buy one off ebay, an andis clipper.
i just buy the one speed.
than get a 30 blade and a snap on comb, i prefer the #2 double duck snap on combs.
skim over her coat, practicing a steady hand, until you get real good at it, this will thin and shorten it.
otherwise get a real good thinning shears and hack away, i would close them at the base and thin at the top part to.
that sounds like the st bernards i used to groom
KAYGEECO/Spectrum labs
sells a fantastic shampoo
Saflea
it is a Fantastic deoderizing shampoo.
what i would do is buy this from them, and put it on full strength than brush or rake it thru the coat letting it sit on for ten minutes or 15
Photography by Christine

Jen

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 05:56:34 pm »
Thanks I needed that..I have all the grooming equipment including snap on combs I just have never taken on such a huge massive maine while holding my breath.  I needed that do this pep talk..thanks.   I will take on this task tomorrow we are all cleaned up for the night.  I am a bit nervous about the steady hand thing but if I mees up the bib will cover it.

Jen

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 07:09:39 am »
PRactice pracitice~! LOL
you can do it, and actually you will prolly not take off enough the first few times, the key is complete comb out, otherwise you will have a very uneven thinning job.
the shampoo is crucial to.
the right one can make a difference.
Photography by Christine