Author Topic: Need help...my Newf smells awful!  (Read 15168 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Need help...my Newf smells awful!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 09:39:04 am »
This is just a shot in the dark, but have you ever had a urinalysis done on her? When I first brought Sunshine Bear home, he had a really foul smell that wasn't affected AT ALL by baths. Turns out he had a urinary/kidney infection and needed antibiotics. It took me while to put the two together, but the smell coming from the dog (the whole dog, not just his weewee area) was like stale strong urine. I think somehow he was emitting that odor through his skin. It was very odd.
So now his infection is cleared up but I still think he's going to need a few more baths before the stench is fully gone. It has really gone down a lot. I used to be able to smell him from across the room, and now I can only smell him if I am kissing his forehead, and it is MUCH better.
  :)

Jen

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 10:05:53 am »
Ok wish me luck here we go....

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 10:41:47 am »
Good luck!!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Jen

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 10:58:45 am »
Ok it took 2 hours to thin with thinning blade and detangle and comb out!!!!  I couldn't get her on the grooming table because it is raining hard and it is out on the back deck.  I could have waited til it stopped raining but I just had to stick to plan for the day being the day!  So in the garage we went.  Ok before I shave her (yes I am stalling) I did something different and I wanted to run it by you guys in case I made a major booboo.  At the last fluffing brushing at the end of the comb out I sprinkled baking soda on the brush and bushed it through the smelly maine and rubbed some on her teeth and either I am just getting used to the stench or I think it has actually removed the or at least greatly reduced the odor.  My after thought...OMG is baking soda safe for dogs!!!!!!?????????????

Jen

Offline Tpcorr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 11:05:11 am »
Hi, sorry to hear about your problem.  I am a dentist and have taken a couple of continuing ed courses on bad breath.  Some people have such strong smelling breath that it is difficult to be in the same room with them.  There is a device available called a halimeter that measures how bad the breath is!

Apparently there are a couple of non pathologic causes for this, however the culprit is always the same:  Hydrogen sulfide compounds that reek of " rotten egg smell".  There is an oxidizing agent you can purchase that neutralizes these compounds.  It is called oxyfresh, I believe, and should be available at your vet's office.

I don't know how well it will work for your dog, but if all else fails, and there is no systemic cause for his problem, give it a try.  I think you just pour it into his drinking water, but check with your vet for instructions.

Tom

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 11:06:44 am »
Hmmm I can see that the baking soda would work as it takes in that odor and traps it, not sure about it being safe, it is used in cat litter, so I don't see why it wouldn't be safe.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 11:07:58 am »
ok just did a search and it is non toxic

Dry Baths for Dog
Fido smelling kinda funky? Help dogs stay fresh-smelling by giving them periodic dry baths. Sprinkle ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda Shaker into their fur and rub, then comb or brush it through and out. The ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda is non-toxic, so it is safe for your pets and a quick way to a fresh dog!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 12:04:30 pm »
actually you are not Shaving, you are thinning, remember that, and the combing combined with the arm and hammer?
who knows! maybe that is the trick?
the oxy is a good idea, but if she is drooliong i dont know it will help the drool as that is for bad breath?
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Jen

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2005, 12:36:07 pm »
Tom, OMG they can measure bad breath!  Do they sell this oxodizing agent for humans? 

Well anyway the baking soda thing is working and yes the comb out with the thinning blade first ia a neccesary step.  She is sleeping on my lap now!! YEAH!

Jen

Offline Tpcorr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 05:32:30 pm »
Jen

Yes they sell it for people too.  Same stuff.  Ask your dentist.

Tom

Jen

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 05:49:39 pm »
Is it over the counter or prescribed?  I checked Sasha and her breath is offensive even after baking soda rub, the drool from her mouth drips then sits in her thick maine and I guess it festers there and on her bib.  I think I am going to have to make the baking soda thing a daily routine.    My mother said that people brushed there teeth with baking soda before tooth paste came out.  I am so glad you are on this sight.

Jen

nickerbokker

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 06:01:58 pm »
when i was in highschool (5 minutes ago hehe), i had this teacher that i loved and always went to her class because we got to watch movies and stuff.....she got knocked up..and whenever she brushed her teeth she threw up from the toothpaste LOL....so her doc told her to use baking soda....and it worked lmao!

Jen

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 06:36:17 pm »
she got knocked up?  who talks like that? Was that a joke?  I hope so there are many Moms on this sight... ???

Jen

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2005, 07:44:30 pm »
It's so weird because my husband was just saying that you should write comedy for a living after reading about Bear's slobber episode.  Really..he got out of the shower (I could hear him laughing in there) and I said what is so funny?  He said that Nikkers should send that story into Leno or Stern or something..tha t was brillant! Honestly if there was a contest for best dog story that one would have won..paws down!

Jen

nickerbokker

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2005, 07:50:43 pm »
she got knocked up?  who talks like that? Was that a joke?  I hope so there are many Moms on this sight... ???

how bout got prego?  dont mean to offend.....i would say the same thing if i were the one in her shoes! 

AT LEAST I WASNT CUSSING LMAO!  I TRY PEOPLE I TRY