Author Topic: Need help...my Newf smells awful!  (Read 15166 times)

Jen

Re: Need help...my Newf smells awful!
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 08:13:28 pm »
2 thumbs up for prego!  The creative are often misunderstood.  I do love your writing!  I am menstral today...which sucks because I want to be prego !!! 

Jen

Offline Tpcorr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2005, 04:12:38 am »
Jen,

It is an otc product, but not available in stores.  I just googled oxyfresh and found this link.   http://www.oxyfreshww.com/pet/default.asp

I don't know this person.  I bet your vet carries this product, if not order it online.  It is worth a try, it is not expensive and easy to use.

Tom

Jen

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2005, 10:35:32 am »
Thanks Tom. 

I well check it out!

Jen

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2005, 12:04:44 pm »
Jen I am glad you finally managed to get rid of the worst of the smell, when grooming I from time to time did some serious noseholding, especially the dogs that came to me from the shelter for a "make over" to look pretty and have a bigger chance of being adopted.

Tom..... Please stay on this board, we need a dentist lol  ;D Having said that, I feel my pulse going a bit, because my daughter Malin (ouch..... I sooooo hope she is not reading this) has a problem breath. We have been to the dentist here several times. All he says is that there is no problem with her teeth, he has never mentioned the oxy product at all. She has brushed her tongue, uses mouth wash, brushes her teeth like 6 times a day and would never leave the house without mints or something to take if she thinks it is "hitting her" when she is out. It is bad to be 13 and work like crazy to make your breath not smell and now when I know there might be something that can help I am a bit upset with our dentist  :-\

Thanks for the tips Tom, I will absolutely try and find it. hmmmm you never thought BPO would grab hold of you and make you the official BPO dentist did you?  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline afrostegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2005, 07:49:03 am »
Marit,

This is not dog related but you should have your dd's breath evaluated by physician.  Possibly some throat, addenoids (sp?), tonsils, sinus problems.  I know several families who had younger children (8 to 10 year range) with serious halitosis which was cured after having tonsils and/or addenoids removed.  Another child I know had a sinus infection that caused some pretty bad breath for several years.  Worth looking into.  It must stink (pardon the pun) being a teenager with 1 more thing to be self conscious about!

Jessica

Jen I am glad you finally managed to get rid of the worst of the smell, when grooming I from time to time did some serious noseholding, especially the dogs that came to me from the shelter for a "make over" to look pretty and have a bigger chance of being adopted.

Tom..... Please stay on this board, we need a dentist lol  ;D Having said that, I feel my pulse going a bit, because my daughter Malin (ouch..... I sooooo hope she is not reading this) has a problem breath. We have been to the dentist here several times. All he says is that there is no problem with her teeth, he has never mentioned the oxy product at all. She has brushed her tongue, uses mouth wash, brushes her teeth like 6 times a day and would never leave the house without mints or something to take if she thinks it is "hitting her" when she is out. It is bad to be 13 and work like crazy to make your breath not smell and now when I know there might be something that can help I am a bit upset with our dentist  :-\

Thanks for the tips Tom, I will absolutely try and find it. hmmmm you never thought BPO would grab hold of you and make you the official BPO dentist did you?  ;D

Marit

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2005, 10:30:46 am »
Max, my son's Cocker came to us with what my daughter called "dead donkey breath"  He smelled horrific around the head area, inspection of the teeth, LOTS of plaque build up, had never been brushed (teeth), also a bad tooth, the vet told us many people do not associate bad odor with a bad tooth or need for dental cleaning but it happened.  Now Mr Max smells like a rosae!  (not really, but much much better) no more wilting away when he comes near!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2005, 04:16:09 am »
I know this sounds silly.  Especially since I'm not experienced in this area, but when we washed our fellows too much, it striped the oil and they smelled.  Could it be bathing everyday?

What we do now is blow the coat out with a high velocity dryer  twice a week in between our actual bathing.   They smelled much nicer afterwards too. 

When I feel it's necessary, we use a sprinkle I make that is aromatherapy and made with arrowroot powder, powdered herbs, and soda.  I just shake it into the coat, and massage (you know how the newfie skin just rolls back and forth?), and get it all over as best as possible, then leave it for about 15 minutes, and blow it out with the dryer!  Works wonders and they like it too.  I use this once in awhile, probably only once a month.  It probably isn't really necessary, but we have found it also helps repel other things they may react to like dust mites, other mite things we cant see, and so on.

Luv

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2005, 06:57:10 am »
I put a little lavender baby powder on Sugar Bear and Dixie every other day.  Sprinkle on and brush out.  I try to put some behind the ears to prevent mats everyday. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2005, 10:14:57 am »
Marit, this may or maynot be applicable to Malin, but when I was her age, I had a breath problem. We went to three different dentists....no thing. Went to the Doctor....noth ing. Finally, my Mom took me to a second Doctor. They did a scope down my throat and found that I had in infection on my tonscils that had abscessed, and food particles were getting caught there when I ate, which caused the bad breath.

They removed my tonscils, and ta-da! No more prblems with the breath.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know...but I guess my point is, get a second opinion. If that doesn't work, get a third.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
she got knocked up?  who talks like that? Was that a joke?  I hope so there are many Moms on this sight... ???

how bout got prego?  dont mean to offend.....i would say the same thing if i were the one in her shoes! 

AT LEAST I WASNT CUSSING LMAO!  I TRY PEOPLE I TRY

Knocked up is offensive?...lol...Nicks, you just can't catch a break can you kid? :D LOL!

Offline pinnaclenewfs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2005, 12:50:11 am »
Hi. I am newly registered to this site. I come by often to read what's up but I feel for you and your smelly newf. I have a suggestion that has not been mentioned yet. Sometimes newfs get an infection in the folds of there lower lips where there canines hang over. The smell can be awful, you can often smell it from across the room. I think this is what is wrong with your girl. It is often called Cocker mouth(it should be called rotten mouth!). They often need antibiotics, some chlorhexiderm solution for scrubbing the area and sometimes a topical antibiotic(Tresaderm works well). My friends newfie sometimes gets it bad and my younger boy has had it once. The smell gets onto there toys and anything else there mouth(or there drool) touches. I hope, for your sake, this helps because there is nothing better than snuggling with you fluffy newfie. Meagan

nickerbokker

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2005, 01:18:59 am »
she got knocked up?  who talks like that? Was that a joke?  I hope so there are many Moms on this sight... ???

how bout got prego?  dont mean to offend.....i would say the same thing if i were the one in her shoes! 

AT LEAST I WASNT CUSSING LMAO!  I TRY PEOPLE I TRY

Knocked up is offensive?...lol...Nicks, you just can't catch a break can you kid? :D LOL!

i  can't gyps.  i just can't!  *crying* *bawling* *hanging head in shame*, just can't catch a break  :'(

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2005, 09:43:46 am »
Need help.. my Newf smells soooooooo bad I can't breath.  S.O.S send help!

We had a smelly problem with Drake and found out it was his ears.  He has been swimming alot lately and as you know, Newf ears take a long time to dry.  Well that's just on the outside.  If any water gets inside their ears, it can grow fungus or bacteria and begin to smell.  Washing with soap and water isn't enough.  You need to get an ear flush solution, like Hexadine, from your vet.  And you need to get some of that Swimmer's Ear stuff at your local drugstore, that will dry out the inside of your dog's ears.  I swear this works if you use these items every time your dog swims and may be the solution to your problem.  Hope this helps!!!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.