Author Topic: Can't resist newfs  (Read 17926 times)

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Can't resist newfs
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:19:25 am »
Hello everyone my name is Logan and I am learning all I can in an effort to be prepared for the end of the summer when I get a newf.
First a little about me. I'm a 21 year old religious studies major in university in Sudbury Ontario. I was born in Newfoundland which may have something to do with my love for the breed.
At the end of the summer I am moving out into an appartment with my girlfriend who loves dogs. Until I met her I both hated and was afraid of dogs. Now I can't get enough of them. I used to be attacked by this huge gold retriever at my uncle's when I was a kid so big dogs especially I was afraid of. Then I met a couple of new Newfs...
At first I just kept my distance expecting them to be all over me or growling at me but they just lumbered around and eventually I managed to spend some time with them. I fell hard.
So here I am now looking to find out all I can so I can make this getting a dog thing as painless as I can for everyone involved. Luckily my girlfriend has had a bichon most of her life so she knows the basic things I do not. Unfortunately the 11 year old bichon has to stay with her parents because she gets terrible anxiety when she is away from home or even when someone is away from home. (My gf's dad has had cancer twice and Vali (the bichon) stayed at the door waiting for him for months till he came home.
Anyways I do have a couple of questions. I want to make sure keeping this dog is something we can afford. So how much a month do you spend on food?
Do any of you brush their teeth? And if so how often?

I've read this huge dog bible and 2 pages worth of your forums (I lurk) along with alot of other online material so I think I have a grasp on what to feed and the rest just wanted to know a bit about price.

Kirsti

Re: Can't resist newfs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:23:28 am »
Welcome!! I don't have a newf so I can't answer your questions. But I do want to welcome you here! There is a lot of knowledge in here.  ;D I'm Kirsti, currently puppyless  :( but waiting until I can get and show Boxers.  ;D.

~Kirsti

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:40:48 am »
Thanks for the welcome sorry for having my Loki as the display pic but my little prince of darkness is all I have right now. Until I get my newf my display must be Loki.
Sorry for any broken monitors my kitties presence might cause.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:58:25 am »
Welcome!  I see that Esther gave you a lot of good info so I'll just give an example of what it costs to feed one of mine.

The cost of food depends, of course, on which food.  Definitely go for the highest quality food you can afford.  There's lots of good info here on that so I won't repeat it.  The link that Esther included is excellent.

Let's just look at my male Newf to help you estimate.  He's almost 9 months old and eats approx 5 cups a day.  Four cups of dry food is approx 1 pound.  So 1.25 pounds per day at $1.62 a pound (for the food that I use) so he costs about $2 per day to feed.  

I do brush my dogs' teeth every few days.  They're young and I give them plenty of bones so we haven't had any plaque buildup.  

Remember to factor in the cost of training, puppy supplies, vet care (the bigger the dog the more it costs to have them treated), toys, grooming, a new vacuum cleaner etc.

Hope this helped!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:25:09 am »
First off I will be searching for a breeder as soon as exams are done. I've read alot about HD and want to reduce the chances of my bundle of joy suffering. I've read alot on what to ask and what to expect the breeder to supply so there shouldnt be too many suprises there.
I also factored in the shots and vet bills. Before we move out we are saving a few grand for "suprise" expenses. We I alone make enough to cover the rent, car and food so my gf's wages will go to extras and to the dog. So not too worried about those costs.
If we had to we could save for the HD surgery when the puppy was finished growing.

I'm trying to find a place in town that sells Innova but may have to go with kirkland or solid gold. Both of which seem to have been given the ok by memebers on this forum if Innova isnt possible. I've read about feeding adult kibble to slow growth and reduce the chances of HD.

I helped house train my cousin's dog a couple years ago and have read a fair bit about training. I'm sure it will be different but I think I can manage. I have no problem waking up at night. I am very lucky in that when I put my head down to sleep im out right away.

I'm not sure what her school schedual will be like next year yet but I can try and work mine out to minimize the time we are away. Also I can drop him off at either my grandmother's or my gf's mothers during the day if I know I'm going to be long. My newfy grandparents love Newfs. We are thinking of naming a girl newf after my grandma Bernice (Bern).

I look forward to grooming pretty much everyday. I like to spend lots of time on my hair but I guess I can cut some of that back so I can work on his or hers ;)

As for crate training and socialization: I plan on crate training because so far most books I've read on the subject have seemed to indicate positive results. I am also planning on introducing my future pup to certain dogs that I know are well behaved (like my gf's bichon).

Sorry my post is also long.

Is there anything you think I am missing?
Also how prone to barking are they? Any techniques on reducing barking especially boredom barking?
Lastly the most important question, what kind of music do your Newfs enjoy? :)

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:59:30 am »
Looks like you are headed in the right direction and getting lots of good information.
Clifford seems to enjoy any music, but I do get dirty looks when I start singing.
He is not a big barker and will stop quickly when I tell him to.
Clifford is 19 months old and does still have a major problem with counter surfing if I forget to put any food away or container that ever held food. If I'm in the house he will leave it alone, but if I go outside, he is right there looking. When he was a pup he stole a few tooth brushes and watches.
Be prepared to get stopped lots when you go for walks, especially kids want to come and pet him. I'm continually amazed at how he knows the difference to be gentle with little kids and even lay down to be petted without being told.
I have always loved all dogs, but still can't believe how much I'm a sucker for those big eyes and sloppy kisses. Even when he's a bad bad dog, I can't stay mad at him.

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:38:18 am »
I've got another question. What size crate did they need when they finally stopped growing? I've been looking at them on the petsmart website and all the big ones dont seem to have dividers or dont seem to be that big to begin with.

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 05:00:44 am »
No one will ask me where the saddle is because he or she will be wearing one. What I didnt mention that my newf will be my primary source of transportation?  :P

When it comes to barking the one thing I am concerned about is barking when I'm not home at the neighbours. I dont want to get into fights in the appartment about a noisy barker. I've heard newfs arent prone to boredom barking or barking when they hear people in another appartment cause its things like that, that I want to minimize.

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 05:34:14 am »
Barking is a natural response for all dogs. However, this can also be a training issue. Consult a dog trainer if necessary but if you give your dog the attention it wants because it is baking... it will always bark. If it doesn't get a result from barking it wont' do it or do it as much. This is a patience game.

Rewarding your dog for correct behavior is just as important if not more than correcting him/her for unwanted behavior. You have to find an effective way to communicat with your particular dog, then you can let him/her know what is expected of him. It is very time consuming and requires a lot of patience but in the end you get out of it what you put into it.

My big girl is a very obedient, happy companion but I spent the last year in weekly obedience classes, field trips and outings to get her effectively socialized so when she is in a new enviornment she looks to me as how to behave. I can take her anywhere and not worry about how she will react to strangers or strange places. Give that she is 120lbs at 13 months and still growing this is extremly important.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline filafan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 12:29:14 am »
Midwest makes an XXL crate, that you can get with a divider. This is the one we got, it is huge and very sturdy.
http://www.midwestpetproducts.com/product/1154U
Beloved Caislean-chasing squirrels on the other side.

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:25:44 am »
Welcome Logan. My wife and I also live in the Sudbury area and as you can see in the picture, we have three of these gentle giants. Your welcome to visit and see what it is all about. PM me and I'll give you the detals.  Regards.
Ron T.
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:05:09 am »
good luck in your quest for a newfy!!  they are a wonderful breed! as biased as i am!!

Offline noblenewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 01:46:27 am »
Hi! So glad you like Newfs! They are an amazing breed! However, they are not for everyone. They are VERY expensive to own. The cost of a puppy from a reputable breeder ($1500-$2000) is just the tip of the iceberg. You will spend thousands more than that during the lifetime of your dog. Their care and upkeep is very time consuming. I personally LOVE IT but it's not for everyone. They need grooming daily, vet bills are expensive because of their size, they require special nutrition (being a large breed) so their food is expensive (I spend about $100 per month feeding my boys) and they require supplements to help them get the vitamins, minerals and orthopedic supplements they need for their growing body. Add in extra large crates, extra large dog supplies, extra large dog beds, extra large collars and a vehicle big enough to transport them and it adds up quickly. And also, ortho problems are common in the breed so if over the course of their life an ACL injury or Hip Dysplasia or heart problem occurs...well, plan to spend thousands on that as well. My Newf just underwent cruciate ligament surgery on his knee...lots, lots of money. However, that being said...I wouldn't trade it for the world. They are simply the most loving, well rounded, amazing breed on the planet and to be able to share my life with him has been an honor. The love he has given me has far outweighed any costs that have incurred because of him. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
I suggest you read this article:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/5329/article.html
As far as the food: feed a high quality kibble. It will save you tons of money in health problems in the long run. I feed Orijen kibble. Many I know with Newfs feed Orijen, Eagle Pack Holistic, Canidae, Taste of the Wild, Innova, Natural Balance and/or are raw feeders.
As far as the crate: Get the biggest one you can find. A male Newf at a year old will weigh close to 120-130 lbs and at maturity will weigh 130-150 lbs. They are BIG. A female a little smaller...but still very BIG.
As far as the barking. My boy rarely barks. Only if he hears a strange noise and is trying to alert us...but it's never obnoxious. For example, the neighbor dogs bark at him through the fence...non stop....and he just walks by...glances at them and then continues on about his business. He's not the least bit interested in being a fool. LOL!
He does bark when the doorbell rings or if he's really excited and we are working on training. But otherwise, no.
Good luck! Newfs are simply amazing. You will absolutely be the best of friends...and he/she will be your protector, your comforter and your friend.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 02:14:11 am »
You asked about crates. I got Clifford's crate when he was still a puppy. I decided if I fit in it he would, see picture below. I found mine used in a newpaper ad for about $40. You find lots at yard sales too.

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 11:33:32 am »
Thanks for the info guys. You've all been very helpful.
I have a bizzare question to ask. I was told today that when newfs get mad at their owners they spit at them like a lama up to 5 feet.
I think its highly unlikely but I was wondering if there is some validity to this new myth?
Also nice to meet you LDT. Any good breeders or newfy clubs in the area? I've done some online searches and havent found much. I don't suppose you have a daughter named Jessica cause that would be wierd. I know a girl who lives in skeed who has 3 newfs.