Author Topic: Rosie update =)  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
Rosie update =)
« on: April 05, 2005, 11:22:50 am »
Hi everyone - just thought I'd post new rather than scroll thru all those replies (btw, thanks everyone for them!). We've been doing MUCH research on the info some of you gave us, and this is what we've come up with. We really think that Rosie is a Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Great Dane/ Lab. The research we did on Ridges was ASTOUNDING! Not only did SO many of the pics favor her, but the characteristic s of the Ridge fit her WAY too well! With the Danes, she has some of those characteristic s as well - someone who replied to my first post said that when Danes mouth-fight with another dog, they sound like Chewbacca from Star Wars!  :D That is EXACTLY what she sounds like when she wrestles with her 'sister' Lucy! Plus Rose does look a bit like a Dane as well - I liked the member who talked about her daughter's Scooby Doo picture, that was so cute! We call Rose 'Spooky Doo' sometimes cause she's a big scardy cat!  ;D And even tho the pound told us she was full-breed Lab  ??? we think she has Lab in her least! So thats the final analysis on that.  :)

Now I have another question for anyone who wants to offer advice on the subject. Rosie, Lucy and my family are currently sharing our home with my parents, and probably will be for the next year or two. My mom has a male 13 yr-old West Highland Terrier named Captain. Captain and Rosie generally get along, but unfortunately Rosie has turned on him a couple of times, barking, snapping, lips curled and lunging at him. Each time, this has had to do with food. Not their dog food - they all get fed at the same time and there is no problem. It has been over completely random things. Once it was over them getting dog biscuits. Another time it was when Rosie stold an open tuna can off the counter, then Captain got near her. A couple of times it was when someone was eating in the living room, once being Super Bowl Sunday. We usually eat in the kitchen, and she NEVER pays any attention to us then, although the others beg. Since that has happened more than once, now no one eats in the lliving room anymore. Obviously, with the age difference and size difference, this is a problem. We try to anticipate what will set her off and prevent it, but as I said, it is often random things. Unfortunately, on the Super BOwl night, she cut Captain's ear and he bled. These attacks do not happen often, but we are just afraid that Rosie might REALLY hurt Captain sometime. Anyone have any idea why she does this? Also, if anyone can offer any advice on what to do about it that would be great too. Eventually, Rosie and Captian won't be living in the same house together, but as for now, we need to try and keep the peace! Thanks