Author Topic: Remy--my new leo baby  (Read 14600 times)

Jodi and the pack

Remy--my new leo baby
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:35:49 am »
After months of planning and preparing, my family and I went to a local foster home to pick up our new english mastiff puppy.  Unfortunately, due to some miscommunicati on between the foster family and the placement service, the puppy was adopted as we were driving to the house.  Disappointed, we agreed to "look" at another puppy that had been give the adoption OK just that after noon.  She had been rescued at 5 weeks from a puppy mill.  She had worms, ingrown nails and a fear of grass and people.  But she was "coming along fine."

Then the foster dad brought out this teddy-bear-dog and handed her to my little girls.  The puppy climbed right between them, gave a few kisses and fell asleep.  I think it's pretty impossible to walk away from a situation like that...so after some paperwork and reference checks we were on our way home with a dog breed we knew nothing about (I've given myself the irresponsibili ty lecture a dozen times about doing that, so don't worry). 

We were told that Remy is a full blood leonberger puppy, so we have been internet researching as much as we can about the breed.  We found a local vet with St. Bernard experience who has heard of the breed, and our local pet supply store has an employee who used to live next to a licensed breeder of them when she was growing up, otherwise we haven't been able to find anyone here in the middle of Kansas who has any experience with the breed.

So...obviously this site has a wealth of knowledge and experience and I am asking for any little tips you could give me to help Remy be the best she can be. 

She now has a clean bill of health, has made herself at home with our english setter and labrador dogs, we socialize her as much as possible and she is ready to start basic obedience in three weeks.  She is around 11 weeks (we're told) and weighs about 20 lbs. now and is gaining an average of 3 lbs. a week.  She has been a breeze to potty train and spends her days following around my 5 year old daughter. 

I would just appreciate any and all suggestions I could get.  Thanks for your time!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Remy--my new leo baby
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:05:12 am »
Welcome to BPO and congrats on the new addition! Remy is a heartbreaker!  I can't wait to watch her grow!  I'm Alex, and my Monsters are in my signature!  :D  I've never even seen a Leo in person, but I absolutely adore the ones I know on this board!  Good luck with the puppy stage, bless you for adoping her from a rescue, and make sure you post lots of pictures of all your dogs!  ;) :D ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: Remy--my new leo baby
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 11:50:14 am »
Welcome!  What a little cutie - there's no way I could have passed her up either!

I'm Ruthanna and my three are listed in my signature!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us