Author Topic: how do I get my cats to like my new dog??  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Gloria C

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
how do I get my cats to like my new dog??
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:24:22 am »
adopting my new Aussie soon....he's 4 yrs old & 70 lbs....I have 2 spoiled Persians who are going to be quite annoyed w/me....what's the best way to get them to adjust to my new doggie?

(NO, feeding them to the doggie as lunch or dinner is not an option! :D)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: how do I get my cats to like my new dog??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:36:03 am »
I had 6 kitties when I got Athena. I put up a gate in the kitchen entry so they can have their food in the kitchen and in the laundry room off of the kitchen for their litter. Just left them alone and everything went fairly smooth all by itself.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Jodi and the pack

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:24:05 am »
I think the best way is to make sure the cats have a "dog free" zone.  I've used a baby gate to block off my basement and made that cat territory.  Especially make sure that the dog does not have access to the litter box!  Dogs love those little "appetizers" they find in the box from what experience has shown me.  I learned that lesson the hard and disgusting way. 

You also have to be especially careful since an aussie is a herding breed, and could be tempted to use them as practice.  Make sure your dog is on a lead when they are all introduced.

When I introduced my dog to the cats it was touch and go with Sophie--she had been running loose and fending for herself for who knows how long and just wanted to eat them.  It took weeks of having Sophie on a long leash and hundreds of corrections before she learned her food was in the bowl and the cats were supposed to be in the house, not her tummy.  With my other two brought home as puppies, there were no such problems, but the cats DID sulk for about a week.

And eventually the cats have learned to accept the fact that there are dogs in their house.  I'm not sure they like the idea, yet, but they at least tolerate it.   

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:31:01 am »
My situation was the other way around.  I had three dogs first then got 2 cats about 8 months ago.  I gave the cats their own space where the dogs could not bug them.  They had the whole basement suite to themselves and I would leave the basement door open so they were free to come up with the rest of us when they were comfortable and it was an escape route if things got to be too much.  These were cats that have not been around dogs, and big, goofy dogs to boot.  Nor have my dogs been socialized with cats.  It was a slow process and I didn't force them to meet.  Eight months later and they now hang out in the same room.  My one cat is constantly following the dogs around now.  The cats still have their own space away from the dogs though.

Offline Gloria C

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:41:53 am »
well, I don't have a basement, my home is single level....so maybe need to figure out a way to block access to the kitchen....but anything the cats could go through, the dog would be able to bowl over....I'm hoping that the cats just adjust to a dog in "their" house ::)....my cats are mellow & small (one is 4 lbs, the other is 10)....this guy is 70....and not so mellow :D

Offline Gloria C

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:04 am »

They make tall dog gates with little openings for small dogs or cats. Might work.

[/quote]

hmmm.....but then how do I effectively get in & out of my own kitchen ???....oh the worries of getting an addition to my 'family'.   ;D