Author Topic: I went to go see the Bull Terrier Pups.  (Read 9813 times)

Offline beastmaster

• Gnawer
  • Lulah(8 weeks) and Vito
    • View Profile
I went to go see the Bull Terrier Pups.
« on: April 29, 2009, 04:46:36 pm »
So I went to see the Pups this evening.  Of course I wanted to take them all home...They are puppies.  Heres the Deal.  The Dogs are from the same Breeder Lines of my past Bull Terrier.  There are only two left, that dont have deposits on them.  They are local, which I like, because I dont like ordering Dogs online and over the phone.  The mom is a TAIL CHASER...thats probably my biggest issue, she wasnt too bad, I was able to get her attention so she stopped, but still....She was a tail chaser.  Is this going to make it a lot more likely that the pups do the same thing...or could it just never ever happen.  I know the answer is both.  What do you guys think?  I just like the fact of being able to interact with the dogs.  I am going to call the original blood line owners tomorrow, to get their advice.
The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.  ~Mark Twain

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: I went to go see the Bull Terrier Pups.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:23:57 pm »
It could be something they encouraged in her as well.  Local or not, I need to know a few things before i buy a dog.  I want to know the parents have been health tested, I prefer only to buy from conformation AND working lines, but would choose brains over beauty.  I have a dog from show lines, cute, but dumb  ;D.  I know that this doesnt guarantee a healthy smart dog, but it goes alot farther than nothing.  I also want to know what the health guarantee is, and how they stand behind it.  If it is anything less than 4-5 years I would walk away.  If they want the sick pup/dog returned in order for them to replace it, again, I would walk away, how many people are going to surrender their 2 year old with luxating patella so it can be PTS? 

I know I have high standards, but I feel that if I am buying a dog I deserve a happy, healthy dog that I am, hopefully, not going to have to spend thousands on for health problems that should have been tested for in its parents. 

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 02:06:50 am »
my only concern is, you had a dog from these lines before that you had to have PTS due to agression... are you really sure you want to go back to these lines again?  as you told me, these are new breeders, so their first litter. will they do BAER on their puppies? Have the parents been BAER tested? had doppler done and UPC?  as for tail chasing, i do know this problem... zero had it as a pup and we corrected it fast. repo is starting to do it and we correct him- if its corrected early enough they shouldnt do it as adults... so that is a wee bit worrisome also seeing as tail chasing "Spinning" can be neurological
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline beastmaster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:35:12 am »
Side NOte to Ruffian(Im getting married May 24th).

Now back on topic.  Yes "This" Breeder is "New", But I actually talked to one of the founders of the "Line" this morning.  Ann Dees Bull Terriers have been breeding for over 35 yrs, 1st Colored Silverwood Trophy winner, Over 150 AKC Champions, and I can find Numerous Reputable breeders out there across the world whos Bull Terriers have Ann Dees Blood.  Google Ann Dees bull terriers, and just see how many initial results pop up.  I really feel, and so does everyone else, that what Happened with my Dog, is not something that happens on a regular basis.  When I let Ann Dees know about what happened about Vito, they offered me several adult dogs for free, without hesitation.  The only problem is, they are not focusing on breeding right now, they are focusing on showing, and do not plan on having any pups in the near future.  I havent made my decision, and I know it sounds like I am on the defensive side, I am just putting all my thoughts out there on the table.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:57:56 am »
 :D Pretty exciting few days here, LOL.

But you never said weather these dogs have been health tested, even if you believe that the aggression is not something in her lines, I would never buy a dog from untested parents.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:32:37 am »
yes yes, i know OF Ann Dee's i have their book. as i've said... however, i don't know them personally.. i know alot of the canadian and over seas breeders... and my next dog is DEFINATELY coming to us by plane from over seas...
i wish you luck finding your baby. Are you getting a male/female? What is the gender of your current dog? what color are you hoping for??? We're hoping for a red or tri bitch next  :D
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline beastmaster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 12:52:57 pm »
WoW!  READ WHAT I TYPED TO THE BREEDER, This is the last email in a series.

"A lot of Bull Terriers chase their tail, I know, I also know that it "is" a neurological disorder found in Bull Terriers and some other dogs.  www.btneuro.or g read this.  Even Vito spun around, so that is not really my main issue, I just wanted to put all my thoughts out there.  I actually talked to Mike a good bit today, and we talked about Sophies parents, and just about Bull Terriers in general, and he helped ease some of my concerns, not just about your pups, but about Bullies in general.  We just have a lot to think about.  Well what type a guarantee's are you guys offering, most Breeders offer some sort of health guarantees.  I am guessing the pups hearing wont be BAER checked, Im guessing their patellas wont be checked either.  We will definitely want to come back and see them, its always a long shot though, when you have to put down a deposit on a 3 week old puppy, you can either lose out on a great pup, or you can get a pup that has health issues, and if there are no health guarantees, you are just out of luck.

AND THIS IS HER RESPONSE

I read that article nearly 2 years ago, the study has never been  completed.
Sophie was checked by my vet and every dog that chases it's tail does NOT have a disorder. All of our puppies will be checked out by our vet and B.A.E.R. testing is done at 6 months of age, all of the puppies come with guarantees, but your out of luck, your not getting one.

WoW!  Im Trying to Stay Calm...And this is a Brand New Breeder!  The ONLY reason I even bothered with them, is Because I Personally Know where her Dogs Come From.  I asked her if I read the email correctly...I really Hope I dont Have to BLOG About this Lady...Whats wrong with people these days?
-

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:48:38 pm »
Sorry but IMO if someone gets that defensive you are better off.  I found this "Well what type a guarantee's are you guys offering, most Breeders offer some sort of health guarantees.  I am guessing the pups hearing wont be BAER checked, Im guessing their patellas wont be checked either. " quite confrontationa l, so I can understand getting upset, but her response was too much.

Offline beastmaster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »
I guess I could see that...I think I worded it that way, is because we have had many different conversations with each other, I spent about 3 hrs with them yesterday, and not once, Did she ever say anything about Health Tests or Guarantees!  I guess depending on how you read it, it comes out different...Hm mm.  I think she thought I was attacking her breeder program, and possibly her...But all I was doing was trying to get the information that I feel should have been brought up and asked... I counted 13 email conversations we have had...and not once, not even on the web site, were any of those issues brought up.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:49:24 pm »
All of our puppies will be checked out by our vet and B.A.E.R. testing is done at 6 months of age, all of the puppies come with guarantees, but your out of luck, your not getting one.
In my opinion she is nuts... i think you should maybe start looking elsewhere... they seem like they are just in it for the moolah. cause they dont take their pups for BAER they'd make u do it at 6m. and she did not say anything about any other problems. and YES tail chasing IS A disorder with the BT breed... Sheesh!
and btw- BAER is done at at LEAST 5 weeks of age. Repo is actually going in for his tomorrow! 
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline beastmaster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »
Ive already started my new search......So if anyone knows of BT breeders that will have or Do have pups in the near future PM or EMAIL ME.