Author Topic: Hello - new to the board...  (Read 18070 times)

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hello - new to the board...
« on: August 19, 2005, 08:31:43 am »
Hi there folks!  My family of 4 (2 daughters, ages 7 & 4) has recently welcomed "Lola", a Giant Schnauzer, to our household.  She is currently 4 months old and 42 lbs.  She's a trip, a real clown at times, but very similar to everything I've read about the breed - boisterous and energetic when at play, mellow most other times, protective, somewhat aloof with other dogs.  She's made good friends with a female Golden Retriever across the street and they play well together.

Anyway, thanks for providing a forum for discussion of large breed varieties and issues.  :)

In our second week now with Lola we're just dealing with the basics - having a consistent schedule, housebreaking, beginning leash training, diet. etc.  I do wonder what folks are feeding their large breed dogs...I think there's a forum for that.  Thanks again for providing this space on the web for us large dog owners.
Pop to Lola, the Batgirl :D

dohertyswissy

Re: Hello - new to the board...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 08:36:17 am »
Welcome to BPO!  I'm Heather and I have a 9 month old Greater Swiss Mountain Dog named Ranger and a 28 year old husband too.  They're my boys!!

This is a wonderful site and as you will soon see, we talk about anything and everything to do with our big pawed pups!  We are one big (sometimes dysfunctional ;) ) BPO family!

Lola looks precious!!  Please post more pictures!  We love pictures around here and have a tendency to get grumpy if they aren't posted regularly.

Again, welcome to BPO!

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 08:45:19 am »
Thanks for the fast and friendly reply, Heather.  Ranger looks like a happy boy :) .  I've got loads of photos, and I'd love to share them.  No arm twisting necessary!  :D

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:49:06 am »
awwwww!  She is SOOOOO cute!!!   :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 08:50:48 am »
Excellect pics! Welcome to BPO from the AC Clan family, Andreau and Anita, proud parents of 3 children (6 yrs., 4 yrs. and 4 mths.) and our 3 mth old Newf Angus. We are the Newfies with the Newf. :)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 09:11:07 am »
Welcome aboard!

ann

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 09:12:59 am »

hi and welcome ..............

ann

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 09:14:01 am »
Hi there folks!  My family of 4 (2 daughters, ages 7 & 4) has recently welcomed "Lola", a Giant Schnauzer, to our household.  She is currently 4 months old and 42 lbs.  She's a trip, a real clown at times, but very similar to everything I've read about the breed - boisterous and energetic when at play, mellow most other times, protective, somewhat aloof with other dogs.  She's made good friends with a female Golden Retriever across the street and they play well together.

Anyway, thanks for providing a forum for discussion of large breed varieties and issues.  :)

In our second week now with Lola we're just dealing with the basics - having a consistent schedule, housebreaking, beginning leash training, diet. etc.  I do wonder what folks are feeding their large breed dogs...I think there's a forum for that.  Thanks again for providing this space on the web for us large dog owners.

Very nice looking puppy!  Good luck with the training.  and welcome to the Big Dog house. :)

We feed Lady and Grace Puppy Chow for large breed formula.  We also give them 2 tablespoons of yogart (for dogs under 6 months 1 tbls) at dinner on their food with a 500 mg pill of vitamin C (1/2 for dogs under 6 months).

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 01:15:37 pm »
Hi - my name is Timmie... I have two kids who are 15 and 18 and 3 dogs.  I have imale pom age 9 and one female pom age 5...We just got our dane pup - her name is Willow she is about 13 weeks and very cute....  We are working in training etc also....  We feed Raw in my house with lots of vit supplements... .  If your interested pick up the book "grow your pup with bones." and/or "give your dog a bone"  bothe are by Dr billinghurst.. ..  Even if you choose processed food it is still good to read especially because of the supplements.  So Welcome and have fun....everyon e is really nice...
Timmie

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 01:27:45 pm »
Glad you're here! The people here are really nice and very funny. :D I have a pyr named Kiah and she's 5 months. I'm hoping to start training next month. Good Luck!

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 01:37:59 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great replies :) , I read them all.  Very helpful as well.  Timmie - I have heard of Dr. Billinghurst's book - its highly advertised by my breeder.  I should probably say we're going to supplement Lola's kibble with some "real" foods which will be more consistent with BARF. 

One concern of mine was Lola's urinalysis showed a massive spike of protein in it last week (she's dealing with a mucous-like discharge when she pees), and the TWO vets I've talked to thus far are absolutely 100% against the raw diet.  The differences of opinion between the vets and the breeder on many topics can be a little alarming.

Guess I've got a lot of issues/questions and I'll try to take my time and spread them around to the right forums...thank s for your patience.

PS.  Lola was hilarious when I went home for lunch today.  She found a new favorite toy - plastic bubble wrap.  She loved biting it and making it pop.  I was careful to make sure she didn't swallow any.  Other than that it was maniacal sprinting through the bushes, leaping through the air for tennis balls, and chasing after a large blanket I swung around matador-style :D .
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 01:44:41 pm by Edge »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 01:46:15 pm »
Hello.  I'm relatively new myself.  I have a 7 yr old husky/shepherd mix (Keiko), and a 9 mo old great dane (Gunther).   I just have to say I LOVE giant schnauzers.  Not big into the mini or standard, but give me a giant, and I'm in love.

Sorry to hear about your pee problem.  Do the vets know what is going on?  UTI?  Vaginitis? 

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 05:38:28 pm »
Hi and welcome to BPO, I'm Marit and have three doggys, an OEM, a bullmastiff and a Siberian Husky, also 6 cats (shhhhyyyyy my hubby still thinks 5 of them are foster cats lol) 1 quaker parrot and 2 degus and my 3 two legged kids and of course one hubby  ;D

Your girl is beautiful, I used to have a min. schnauzer called Happy, the breeder had both them and the giants, had I not had danes too at the time I would probably have ended up with a couple of giants they are sooo nice and funny dogs

Nice to have you here

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 07:10:37 pm »
You probably need to just find the right vet.  There are a lot of vets who are against raw feeding.  I have a vet who practices holisitiv vet medicine as well as traditional..s he loves the raw feeding...  there are also now companies that prepackage the raw food...  I like to do my own..its been kinda fun.  Read the books they are really good.  Even just for the info on the supplements

Offline OEMlover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 08:16:27 am »
Welcome ;D!