BPO Training Forum > Behavior, Housebreaking, Obedience

therapy visits: advice?

(1/2) > >>

Amy (guffer):
So we've been taking Apollo and Zeus on therapy visits to the children's hospital every Friday for the last two months.  It took them a few visits to get used to the smells (food trays, trash cans, bedside commodes, etc.) but they're finally ignoring all that.  They love all the attention and seem to get a real kick out of it.  The only problem that we're having is we often can't get them to pay attention to the child in the bed (the ones that we're actually there for).

I think part of the problem is that it's a little crowded in the rooms, and they have a hard time squeezing in between IV poles and recliner chairs.  Usually they'll start going up to the bed, maybe sniff the kid's hand, then they back out and go to the other people in the room for snuggling.  I try to encourage them to stay up by the bed, but its not working.  I'm not allowed to use treats (per TDI rules).  I was thinking about using a squeaky toy, but Zeus and Apollo don't really like toys.  I'm at a loss for ideas.

Anyone????

vmimom2006:
Are they permitted on the beds at home? They might sense the child is ill and might be afraid of that smell. I'm sure there are those who use their dogs for therapy that will be able to give you ideas.

Amy (guffer):
They don't seem to be afraid of the kids.  I think they're just being their normal lazy selves, and it's easier to get attention from people standing or in the chairs.

But you gave me an idea.  They're not allowed on the beds at home though so maybe they're not sure what they're allowed to do. Maybe I can get my kids to lay in bed, and then practice having the dogs come up beside the bed for treats.  I'd like them to learn to gently put their front paws on the bed, too, so the kids at the hospital can snuggle with them a little.

Kirsti:
I have no advice  ::) BUT I love what you and the puppers are doing!! It is amazing and does help the kids  ;D ;D and everyone involved  ;D ;D. I hope you can figure some way to keep them entertained, best of luck!  ;)

~Kirsti

Buster's family:
I Love it that you're doing this! I think the idea of practicing with treats at home is a great idea. Also talking to the other people who are going to be in the room about what you're trying to do. I visited a farm(different than a hospital) where she was trying to train the dogs to be more interested in the sheep than the people. She very kindly asked us not to do the baby talk to her girls...we did pet them a bit, but it was good not to "go all out" on the praise/attention. Training can take some time, and the more every one is sensitive to this very special situation the better!

I bet there are a lot of therapy training ideas and techniques out there! I always wanted to do this with Buster, but for the many elderly in our town. I took him to an after-school program once. It's neat how faces just light up at the sight of these big dogs!! There is definately something special about animals...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version