Author Topic: Need Advice...mother wants to BB  (Read 6217 times)

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Need Advice...mother wants to BB
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:51:21 pm »
My mother adopted a 4 year old female undesexed Dane from the pound.

As soon as she got it, I signed it up to be desexed. She called the vet's and took her off the desexing register because she didn't have enough money for the procedure.{she said}

Now, 6 months on, I asked her on IM when she was planning on desexing her, as she {mother} complains about the mess when the bitch gets bleeding, complains about male dogs following her around and complains about the smell.

She said "I don't need to desex her until she has the puppies"
In response to my "Huh?" face, she said "She looks like she'd want puppies, and it's easy to get a dog to mate with"

I said "You don't know anything about Danes and you want to breed her? That's irresponsible and stupid"

I IMed her a link to a BB page, and she said "Oh but she'd be inside so it's not cruel like those farms"

I Imed her links to sites that outline why regular pet owners shouldn't breed, and she had a whole range of comebacks, starting with "All breeders earn money, it's just a business", "If the dad's a champion the puppies don't need testing" and ending with "She nuzzles puppy toys so she's maternal and needs something to love"

WHAT can I say or do to stop her BBing?

Presently she's looking for a stud dog to breed from, she's emailed a few registered, responsible breeders in Australia asking for loans of their stud dogs and she's annoyed because all the replies were of a 'You shouldn't even be allowed to own a dog' nature.

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice...mother wants to BB
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:55:13 pm »
I've already read over her copy of the adoption contract, and legally she has full rights over the decision to spay or not.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:00:51 pm »
The whole situation sounds ridiculous!  >:(

Tell you mom that breeders who do make money spend YEARS and YEARS breeding show quality dogs with extensive health tests of ALL breeding stock. Reputation is the only reason they can make something. And when I say years, I mean like 20-40 not just a few.
Even if she can find families who are willing to pay for a pup from a dam who was rescued from a pound GOD forbid she will need a C-section or puppies get really sick...she will end up with vet bills that waaaaaaaaaaaay more that she will get for the puppies  :o
Gosh, she sounds so irresponsible  :(
Please take her dog and spay her  :'(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:01:47 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »
I want to take the dog and get her spayed, but I'm afraid my mother will take legal action against me.{believe me, she would, out of spite}

That's why I've been wondering if it's a case for the rspca or not. I don't think so, since she hasn't done it yet, and the dog is in no real danger until she does, but one day it may happen.

I've paid for all the vet bills so far, so I was wondering if that gave me any legal holding if I do get her spayed against my mother's will?

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:39:40 pm »
I don't think legally you can do much..
But if she can't afford to get her spayed..then she certiantly can't afford puppies..

I used to raise Collies..and then Lhasa Apso's

I did not show them..I could by most people be considered a BB...but I had very high standards..in my own defense...

And if anyone does it right you really don't make money..

With pre natal care..puppy vet cks..shots ..worming..etc

And if your not going to bother with those things your nuts..

Maybe you could point this out to her..in black and white and remind her if she wants to sell them..buyers are going to want to see proof of these things..as well as a written guantee of health..

There are many things she could do with this dog if it is as gentle and maternal as she thinks..

Therapy work comes to mind..working with children..or the elderly..

I hope you can get thru to her..

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:28:44 am »
Send her this Link.
http://www.tibetanmastiffinfo.com/breeders/Tempted-Tibetan-Mastiff-Info.shtml

This was posted a while ago by a different member, and although it is about Tibetan Mastiffs, these principles apply to ALL dog breeds.

It's just not as simple as "Oh I thing Fifi (or whatever) would make a good momma, I'm gonna breed her!"  You have vets to deal with, testing to deal with, health certs to deal with, what if there are complications during the pregnancy or god forbid something horrible happens during the birthing.  Is she prepared for complications that could result in a vet bill that could easily cost more then she would be able to make up for in the sale of the puppies, and then STILL possibly lose ALL of the puppies, what about the risk to the bitch? Or how obviously heart broken she (the dam) will be when the puppies go to their new homes?  Would she be willing to take back a puppy if the new owners can't keep it?  What if she can't find homes for the puppies, what will she do then???  >:(

Obviously new puppies are cute and adorable, but they're ALOT of work and dedication, that the average dog owner just cannot handle.  I know I sure as heck couldn't do it, plus I would just never want to put my girl through that.

PLEASE change your moms mind, for the sake of everyone involved.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Kirsti

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:41:01 am »
I agree with Stella! The situation is horrible and the outcome just doesn't have a happy ending until the dog is spayed BEFORE puppies. I would take the dog in myself, no matter what my mom would do.

~Kirsti

Viking Lady

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:12:55 pm »
Knowing the passion with which all of you speak about bad breeding and overpopulation in the dog world, I think you have overlooked the fact that no one has the right to take someone else's dog and have it neutered. There are some things that just cannot be policed. Regardless of whether she is making a mistake, and she probably is, it is her mistake to make. I am a very passive, understanding person. But I will say that if someone stole my dog and had it undergo surgery, they would have h*ll to pay.

Viking Lady

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:57 pm »
I am not saying that it won't create problems. I am not arguing about spaying being the responsible thing to do. All I am saying is that people have the right to their own property, even if other, perhaps wiser, people don't approve of what they do with it. I don't think taking the dog and having it spayed is an option. You also can't assume that you have rights just because you pay the bills.

Persuasion will probably be the only thing that will work. And if it doesn't, it's out of her hands.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:28:00 pm by Viking Lady »

angelsmama

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 04:29:58 pm »
I am not saying that it won't create problems. I am not arguing about spaying being the responsible thing to do. All I am saying is that people have the right to their own property, even if other, perhaps wiser, people don't approve of what they do with it. I don't think taking the dog and having it spayed is an option. You also can't assume that you have rights just because you pay the bills.

Persuasion will probably be the only thing that will work. And if it doesn't, it's out of her hands.

I agree, she doesn't need to breed but you can't really do much about it except talk to her..

jesday

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 04:06:56 am »
I'm wondering if something else may be going on with your mom. Does she live alone? She mentions things like, "She looks like she wants puppies" and "She nuzzles puppy toys so she must need something to love". Could your mom be transferring some of her own maternal needs onto the dog? Perhaps suggest getting another smaller dog for the dane to have company. Maybe the added pup will be enough to get her mind off the breeding for now.

I find it surprising that any pound these days does not require spay/neuter as part of any adoption. :(