Author Topic: www.dogfoodanalysis.com  (Read 12188 times)

Offline MugenPower

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
www.dogfoodanalysis.com
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:03:18 am »
Hi Folks,

I just found this webpage about dog foods. They have nutritional analysis on every dog brand on the market. I was surprised to see IAMS and Science on McGarbage list.

www.dogfoodana lysis.com

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: www.dogfoodanalysis.com
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:12:02 am »
I prefer this site  http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht4.html.
It just lists the ingredients of the foods.  Doesn't rank anything.  Just gives me facts so I can make my own decision.

Hey! I was just looking at the analysis section and it referred to my trainer, Liz Palika. I've known about this site for about 10 years.  I just started working with Liz at the begining of this year. She had mentioned researching dog foods in one of her classes.  I was going to send this site to her and tell her she didn't need to do the reseach, someone else already had.  I guess she's the someone. :P

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:46:02 pm »
I'm not sure I buy some/all of their reasoning. They seem to have a one scale fits all way of looking at the foods. I think this is a case where the buyer has to be aware of the needs of their breed as well as the "score" of the food.

Eagle Pack Holistic foods only rate a 4, and the reasons given seem to be "Insufficient meat content" and "Beep Pulp".

Well . . . the whole point of this food is keep the protein content in the mid-20s, so the "meat content" is NOT insufficient if you're trying to keep your giant breed dog from bursting out of it's skin with HOD and other rapid growth ailments (as just happened to a mastiff pup my two play with; his mom had him on Orijen large puppy [which rates a 6], which is a great food, but at 42% protein is NOT ideal for a mastiff or other giant breed*).

As to beet pulp, as far as I know, the myth that it is bad for dogs has generally been debunked, and the benefits for omnivores of all kinds (including humans) is pretty well accepted. 

*The website does spell out that the food is not in fact suitable for puppies, but they still give a “6” to a product that’s name and major claim/purpose they disagree with. This seems more than a bit problematic to me. 

There has been a study done on whether protein contest actually makes puppies grow faster and shown that it's not. The calorie intake and not sufficient exercise what makes them grow and cause orthopedic issues.

http://www.dogresources.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1002&sid=c540e4a6a86965f067fc6709b42d8258

The concept explained on dogfoodproject as well.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=protein 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:55:37 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:14 am »
I'm not sure I buy some/all of their reasoning. They seem to have a one scale fits all way of looking at the foods. I think this is a case where the buyer has to be aware of the needs of their breed as well as the "score" of the food.
 I have to agree with this  I don't particularly find their information that useful.  Interesting reading but I am not convinced that grain free is a superior way of feeding.  I have been unable to find any studies supporting it.  If you watch dogs out in a field 'grazing' and eating the seed tops the dogs don't think it will be the end of the world if they have some grain :>)  Wild oats are a real delicacy and an ear of corn is just heavenly to them.  That is not to say that their diets should be heavily loaded with grain because I do agree with the mantra that dogs are not cows and should not be fed like one.  Their main source of nutrition should be meat based but fruits, vegetables and yes even some grain in moderation is not necessarily bad.

Offline MugenPower

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:45:58 am »
I am very suspicious of dog food. That's why I feed them raw whenever possible. I also mix raw meat with dog food. My dogs love eating my concoction. We just killed two cows. My dogs are eating well this week. There's plenty of bones, ribs, marrows, and scrapped meats around. Yum yum!

My Caucasian is eating well. Hopefully, he'll grow up to be a giant without being obese.