Author Topic: Service Dogs  (Read 7079 times)

Offline longtobemom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Service Dogs
« on: August 19, 2005, 04:05:29 pm »
Hello everyone, well I found out the other day that I qualify for a service dog! I will be doing the main training, along with attending puppy classes and obedience training. I am very excited. We will more than likely be adopting a shelter puppy, as I am looking for specific breed or mix (Shepherd, Rotti, or Shep/Rotti).

Anyone else have experience with service dogs?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Service Dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 04:41:07 pm »
I had a long visit with a woman while I was waiting for Cowboy to tested for his Therapy dog certification and she had a Newfie girl as a service dog.  It was AMAZING to watch them work together.  She had a lot of trouble walking so used a scooter sort of thing but would use her girl to pull her out a chair, get things that were just out of reach, etc.  The Newf wore a sort heavy duty harness with a large handle that sort ran down her spine and when the woman pulled herself up, the dog  knew to stablize and pull against her to get her up!  Obviously, her dog had NO trouble passing the TDI!  (Cowboy passed too!! ;D)

Good luck finding the right dog!!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 04:46:52 pm »
Congrats Cowboy!!!!  Cool to be a service dog.  My daughter wants to have Willow be a therapy dog....  Although I am not sure...she sure doesn't listen to well...course she is still just a baby!!  We have a Newf, Sally, that makes rounds at the hospital....I just love her..she is so great!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 04:48:28 pm »
Willow has plenty of time!  They can't even be certified until they're a year!  Chester, at this point is hopeless!!!  Shreds napkins and kleenex every single time my back is turned....and that's one of the test points!!!! AGGHHHHHH!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 04:54:35 pm »
How interesting, I have always been so in awe when watching service dogs work. When on vacation I was actually thinking about them. A lot of you know I want to make Galahad a Therapy dog, BUT after having read all the signs on hotel, restaurant and stores that only service dogs are allowed I was thinking yeah...... THAT's what Galahad needs to be.  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 05:27:13 pm »
Theorpy dogs... nice!

I'm  still doing research on this, too. Blizzard wouldn't be so good, since she does grump and walk off when she's had enough hugs from the kids. She dosn't tolerate that to well...

But, I have a son with Asperger Syndrom and had found, by accident, how he would actually not fear going outside, if he felt a pressence always close. It's kind of a long story.

So, there's always one debate for...another debate con.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 07:15:07 pm »
we are very interested in making Willow a therapy dog.  no shredding paper or kleenexes huh?  maybe we won't be able to do the therapy thing.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 11:44:20 pm »
we are very interested in making Willow a therapy dog.  no shredding paper or kleenexes huh?  maybe we won't be able to do the therapy thing.

I take it willow is a kleenex eater lol...... try to put it on floor kleenex I mean hehe have tabasco or other hot sauce on it, enough to make him spit lol..... that might cure him from eating or shredding them  :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline longtobemom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 09:26:41 pm »
Thank you for all the replies! I am greatly looking forward to bringing home my pup. I have someone with a service dog who is helping me with some of the books and whatnot that I will need to read.

I have also just contacted the SPCA where I used to work. I am hoping that through them I will be able to find the right pup. We are looking for one under 4 months ;)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 10:42:56 pm »
I bet that picking your new pup will be very hard.  It is not easy to find a dog that will eventually work out.  It will also be a lot of work each and every day for you, so I really tip my hat to you and wish you all the luck in the world.

Peggy
Peggy

Kiahpyr

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 07:24:49 am »
Good luck with your service dog. Hope all goes well.