Author Topic: Leptospirosis, Lyme, Kennel cough vax's in Newf in New England?  (Read 30813 times)

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I am a new mama to a 2 year old Newfie named Cooper. We saw my vet for the first time yesterday and she recommended he have the Leptospirosis, Lyme and (?) Kennel Cough vaccines. I told her I wanted to research them a bit before consenting.

We live in MA and vacation in several parts of New England, coastal and woody. We hike in the woods and Cooper will likely swim in some ponds and lakes this summer as well as the ocean. (If he wants to, yesterday he was a little nervous about the sprinkler, lol!  ;D). He loves to play with other dogs.

I'm curious as to your opinions of these vax's and whether they're needed. I'm leaning toward doing the Lyme one, but am very much undecided on the other two. Have not found much convincing evidence online so far on either one.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Mary

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Leptospirosis, Lyme, Kennel cough vax's in Newf in New England?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:54 am »
Definitely get the Lyme...it isn't 100% effective but some coverage is better than none.  There is a killer Lyme strain in my area that has been killing dogs so definitely vaccinate because who knows when it will spread and even the regular strains have been known to kill dogs so be careful. I'll ask my mom about the Lepto and Kennel cough.  I don't think we do the kennel cough and I'm not sure on the Lepto.

**editted to add** We do Lepto but not kennel cough because there aren't any bad kennel cough strains in our area and if they get it it'll clear on it's own in a month.  Lepto because we live in the country (wild animals) and my mom works in a vet clinic. And we haven't had any bad reactions to the Lyme vaccine you just have to watch for any adverse reactions.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:33:46 pm by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:43:31 am »
I am totally against of Kennel Cough and Lepto vaccines.
Lepto is only needed for dogs that live in cities or hunting dogs that exposed to wild animals.
If your dog has a strong immune system Kennel Cough is not a big deal at all.
I go to a dog shows, parks, obedience classes and hikes and Lily never had issues and never was vaccinated against that.

Now, Lyme vaccine is very dangerous to dogs. Many have horrible adverse reactions and it's only 60% effective. I know dogs that got Lyme disease while being vaccinated. In addition, it weaken immune system dramatically!

It's your decision what to do but please do some research. There is plenty of studies and info available  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:10:41 am »
There are also some studies being done which are beginning to implicate multiple and yearly canine vaccines to an increased incidence of cancer in dogs.  That is one reason behind the push to not automatically do yearly vacs and to do titers instead. 

I also do not do lepto- the incidence of vaccine reactions is much higher than the incidence of disease and the vaccine reactions can be deadly.  My own vet doesn't recommend this vaccine  Lyme vaccine also has a lot of reactions though usually not fatal but is also not very effective against preventing.  Kennel cough can be helpful to give except the disease is fairly uncommon and is the equivalent of having a cold- I don't see the point excepting for meeting boarding regulations.  The basic vaccines I give every 3 years after their puppy shots and that is for distemper, parvo and hepatitis. 

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 08:37:54 am »
Glad you're doing the research.  Last year my sister took her dog in for routine exam and vaccination.  She did whatever the vet recommended.  Her dog died from the lepto and the vet hadn't given her any warning it could happen.  Apparently, the fatality isn't uncommon.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:03:11 am »
Glad you're doing the research.  Last year my sister took her dog in for routine exam and vaccination.  She did whatever the vet recommended.  Her dog died from the lepto and the vet hadn't given her any warning it could happen.  Apparently, the fatality isn't uncommon.
My friend's GSD died last year from Lepto vaccine as well  :'( That's why I am VERY concerned on what to put into my lovies  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline shy-faiz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:35:58 am »
lepto is a definate - id really advise to have it done alone with kennel cough - unfortunatly we lost our 3 year old german shepherd a few years ago 2 lepto - and kennel cough - is a pain depending on what type the dog may catch - it is horrible especially as it is highly contagious - we have many working dogs and all of them caught it- it was very expensive 2 treat 13 dogs -
thanks ,
               shy-faiz

owned by
gsd Reggie - dob 20/1/2011
alaskan malamute Zach - dob 26/12/2008
4 cats
Foster dog Crystal - whippet x staff
2 budgies
2 hamsters
and many fish

<3 RIP JOOP <3 15.09.2003 - 13.06.2012 forever walking with us