Author Topic: Storm door with doggie door in it?  (Read 13376 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Storm door with doggie door in it?
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:50:17 am »
Hi everyone,

The storm door (screen door) that goes from our family room to our garage is broken, it doesn't latch.  If the garage door is open Harley lets himself out whenever he wants to go out (generally to visit with passersby - strangly not when he has to go to the bathroom and I'm sitting - then he whines to go out...anyway).  Harley is on invisible fencing so it is no big deal that he lets himself out.

The door is in very bad shape and we want to replace it - but it would be nice if Harley could keep going out - and even nicer if he could let himself back in!!

I found 1 door that was $800.00 - that isn't going to fly with hubby - especially since dog and kids ruin storm doors, quickly in our house.

Does anyone know where to get reasonably priced storm doors with doggie doors already installed in them.  OR has anyone installed a doggie door in a storm door?

Thanks for any suggestions - I think Harley will have a bad headache if we replace the door, he will keep hitting it over and over trying to get out - love him DEARLY but not the sharpest tool.

Thanks
Randy

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Storm door with doggie door in it?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:19:25 am »
I can't remember Lowe's or Home Depot, I want to say Lowe's, did have the storm door with the doggie door already insalled for maybe $200.  Granted this was a couple years ago that I was looking for one but it definitely wasn't anywhere near $800!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 03:22:43 am »
I can't remember Lowe's or Home Depot, I want to say Lowe's, did have the storm door with the doggie door already insalled for maybe $200.  Granted this was a couple years ago that I was looking for one but it definitely wasn't anywhere near $800!!

Thanks for the tip - I looked at both stores and Lowes does have a door with a petdoor in it - it is reasonably priced but it appears to be for only dogs up to 50 pounds (which they consider large) the opening is 9" Harley can't fit 9".  I will go to Lowes and see if they can special order a bigger one.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 03:24:47 am »
Randy, here's an insert for any storm door: http://fabhomestore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3746323

We have a sliding screen door that the dogs kept breaking. Finally, I bought the super, heavy duty, dog "proof" screen at Home Depot and just replaced the screen in the door (not the door itself) and haven't had a problem since. I wonder if you upgrade to a good, heave, pet proof screen if the above would work better.

Also, if you were to buy a storm door that is only half screen (the bottom being metal or other), you could install one of these. We have one on the basement door for the cat and it works really well. http://www.moorepet.com/Pet-doors-for-storm-doors-s/28.htm  You can get really cheap versions at Petsmart, too.

Here's another for $260: http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID=64&SKU=186236&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=FREECSE&utm_term=186236&utm_content=6790&utm_campaign=DATAFEED

Thanks for the information - I like the ad from Moore supply they will make the insert for an appropriate door that we order - and the other door looks good a nice price..but it says it has a pet door but I don't see it on the picture - I will call the company later today.

Thanks for your help!!