Author Topic: Can anything else go wrong?!  (Read 13741 times)

Lyn

Can anything else go wrong?!
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:29:14 am »
First Lola and her allergy to blackfly bites, then the nasty UTI (which is gone, YAY!).. and now they both have raging ear infections! Yup Bubba and Lola both! Lola in both ears and Bubba in his left ear. WTH?

Hubby had the day off work yesterday and we were sitting and relaxing. I look over at Bubba and I'm like umm why is his one ear drooping? I end up chasing him around the house because he wouldn't let me look at it. Hubby had to hold him still so I could look. Omg it's fire red and full of dark gunk. GREAT! So I get out the ear cleaner and he shakes out tons of black stuff with streaks of blood in it. :o I stick a cotton ball in there to wipe it out and he yelps. :(

Meanwhile hubby looks in Lola's ears.. both of her's are red and look to be full of the same stuff. Nooooooooo WTH? So I clean her ears and yup blood streaked black stuff.  :(

Crap we need to go to the vet today. So I check our bank account.. ummm empty. :'( Paydays are weekly on fridays. So I call the vet and explain the situation and since I've been going there for 12 years he's letting me pay the bill on Saturday. Phew! I felt like such a knob asking expecially since they have a sign up in the office stating payment in full before leaving.  :-[

Anyway I get an appointment for 3:45. I can't fit both dogs in the truck. So we decide to bring Bubba since he's in the most agony. The vet takes a swab from his ear and comes back in with the ear cleaner to flush it out, he sees the bottle and tries to hide. Hubby has a hold of his leash so he's not going anywhere, LOL Poor Bubba. So he ducks his head and puts his paw over his ear. LMAO Hubby had to put him in head lock to lift his head so the vet could get to his ear. LOL

He asked me if they had been licking each other ears.. Yes.. or if I'd given them a bath recently.. Yes.  :( It's possible I got water in their ears.  :-\ I usually clean their ears while they are in the bathtub but I use a dry or damp cloth but I make sure I don't drip water in their ears. :-\

Regardless it appears to be a bacterial infection. He gave me Surolan drops for both of them. I have to clean their ears first then apply the drops twice a day for a week. Oh joy! Lola isn't too bad, she doesn't like it mind you but she will sit there and let me do it. Bubba on the other hand I have to sit on him and he's weighs more than I do so that's not too effective. He just throws me on the floor and takes off. LOL

We have been to the vet 3 times in as many weeks. It's getting to the point where the techs are like 'Back again?!'. LOL Please no more! I've knocked on all the wood I can find. LMAO

As a side note, lol. Most of you know Bubba's weight saga. When he was neutered last April he weighed 128 pounds and he's fairly tall 31-32 inches at the shoulder so he looks 'scrawny'. He's up to 135 pounds now. So he gained 7 pounds in 13 months, when I said he was hard to put weight on I wasn't kidding. LOL So he only weighs 4.5 pounds more than Lola and most of that is probably in his big fat head. LOL
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:31:55 am by Lyn »

Lyn

Re: Can anything else go wrong?!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 07:35:44 am »
Yup this is the 3rd thing. Kind of ironic how it's 3 ears affected too. :D

I'm wondering if it's allergies? Bubba has never had an ear infection though. His ears have always been spotless. Lola on the other hand gets excessive wax buildup so I need to clean her ears every couple weeks.

Bubba is proof that neutering your dog does not make him fat and lazy. I was secretly hoping for more weight gain than that though. LOL
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:37:24 am by Lyn »

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:57:46 pm »
This is the time of year for allergies with can promote ear infections. Tesla my Rottie has ear problems. I give her Primrose oil gel caps to help with the allergies. It seems to help in general.I give her one a day it's 1000 mg.
She eats it like a treat.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:57:01 am »
Poor Eden, sound like hives. Lola had those after we discovered she was allergic to bees. 

Now that their ears are not so red and sore I got a good look in there. The blood is from them scratching. I can see all sorts of scabs/scratches inside their ears. :( And this morning I wiped out what looked like pus. :o I'm hoping it's just excess medication since I can't see how much I'm putting in.

Anyway they seem to be feeling better now and nothing new is cropping up. LOL
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:57:20 am by Lyn »

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:13:38 am »
Aw Lyn!  Poor Bubba and Lola!   I know how un-fun doggy ear infections can be.  Both Moo and Naja had chronic infections when they were puppie.  Thank you for the reminder though.  I'm gonna go make sure I still have a bottle of ear solution.

Hoping your bubs feel better soon.  :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 11:17:33 am »
Poor Clifford.. Tell him Bubba feels his pain. lol

Their ears are still a bit gunky, but definitely much better! The only battle I'm having at the moment is they keep trying to lick each others ears... and that's a no no. ::)

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14:06 am »
Tommorrow is suppose to be the last day for the drops but they are still getting gunky buildup in there!

Should I continue using the drops until the buildup is gone? I guess I should probably call the vet and ask, lol