Author Topic: Success with puppy!  (Read 3128 times)

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Success with puppy!
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:36:31 pm »
Well Josh and I have been considering buying a British Bulldog pup for a while now. We've researched until we're blue in the face and we chose this breed as our ideal next addition.

We've already been approved by the top breeders in Victoria, which you'll no doubt figure out, I like to brag about.

Problem is, our two year old non-fur daughter has never seen a British Bulldog.

We're planning on taking her to a Bulldog Club meeting {we joined the club to learn more about the breed and get helpful information} so she can meet some of the dogs.

I was a bit worried because she's big-dog-biased. {no, seriously}
If she walks past any dog that she can't look dead in the eye, she'll point and go "MUM! MUM! It's a rat dog! Look Mum! A yap rat! A rat dog! A rat!" etc etc.
So I was concerned over how she'd treat a bulldog.

BUT! What luck! While walking to the library, we met a lady walking a 10 week pup and a 3 year old adult! {both bulldogs, obviously}

The adult sighed and plopped down, and put up with Scarlet's prodding and fondling as she explored this new breed.
The pup was, well, a pup, and jumped and yapped all over her, but the lady was quite good, correcting the behaviour and showing it how to sit and wait, not jump up.
She was very embarrassed that her pup was all over Scarlet and displaying such bad manners, but her adult dog was very polite and even-tempered, so I wasn't judgmental.

Pups are pups, and children never act like adults, after all.

After we'd played with them for a bit and said goodbye, Scarlet said to me "That was a small dog, Mum"

My heart sank. I thought oh god, she's going to say she hates the rat dogs.

But she looked up at me and goes "I like that dog. You get one for me?"

And suddenly the sun shone through the clouds and all was well.

I practically swung her into my arms and said "Yes! Of course we will!"

Frank the red and white British Bulldog pup comes home August the 1st, peoples.

Count down to an exciting day!

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Success with puppy!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:29:59 am »
Oh, yes, I am over the moon relieved.

When Josh got home she put on her smug face and crosses her arms and goes "MUM said we get a puppy", and Josh put on his mock-serious face and says "Well you know the doggy won't grow very big"

And she flops her arms to her sides and says in the biggest you're-just-the-most-stupid-person-ever voice "I KNOWS that, Dad! It a NICE dog!"

And then I told our story of meeting the owner, and he was very happy.

The very second we get pictures I'm posting them up here and riding everyone else's posts to the forums with my posts of 'Frank Pictures #235852398'

We're so excited! His bloodlines are *phew* so great, and the breeders are top stuff. Everyone in the club recommended them and said if we truly wanted a quality temperament pet, we'd wait for one of their pups.

Ahh! I'm so excited!