Author Topic: remedy for lawn burn? raw diet maybe?  (Read 8280 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
remedy for lawn burn? raw diet maybe?
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:52:06 am »
Hi all,
I am moving to a new house in a few weeks and the yard... the yard is majestic and beautiful. Incredibly well kept... and GREEN... like nothing I have ever seen.
Enter my pack of dogs. Maybe you can see where this is heading. :P

Does anyone have any clues, tips, ideas, experiences with some kind of way to keep my future lawn from turning yellow/brown within the first week? I have never bothered trying to keep a pretty lawn before because I have always lived in rentals but I am buying this house! So it's a different story!

One thing I thought of was I wonder if dogs fed a raw diet have healthier waste that wouldn't damage the lawn as bad. Any ideas?

THANKS! :)

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
Re: remedy for lawn burn? raw diet maybe?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:16:53 am »
Both of mine pee in a corner of our lot on command "hurry up".  I have sprinklers attached to timers that go off 4 times a day JUST in that area to keep the grass well watered.  So far, it's working great...and yes, mine both yellow/kill the grass. 
NICKI

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:15:36 am »
I tried the Yellow peg thing....didn't work. Plus Dennis ran over it with the lawn mower. How the H#ll do you no see a bright yellow peg! :-\

D'oh! I actually was thinking about getting one of those yellow pegs but I guess I won't bother.

Grrr. Must figure something out. Maybe sprinklers are the way. They just lifted a bigtime water restriction in my area, luckily, so that could actually be an option for me...

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:31:33 am »
Both hardware stores and pet stores sell products to prevent and or treat lawn burn.  Me I just use pelleted lime every spring on the lawn - I have 5 dogs in a small yard and don't have a problem with yellow spots.  Now dog paths is a different story

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:31:07 pm »

A Raw diet will make it worse....

The yellow spots are because the lawn burns - this is from the nitrogen and acidity in the urine.  The higher the protein in the diet, the harder the burn.  It has NOTHING to do with hormone, so the female thing is an old wives tale....

The dogs' ph and nitrogen level are the key......

I just patch my lawn with sod.....and try to keep up :)
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar