Author Topic: He has fleas! Yikes!  (Read 6535 times)

Offline BigDogMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
He has fleas! Yikes!
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:00:59 pm »
My 8 week old pup has fleas and I am having trouble finding a treatment for puppies under 12 weeks.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Wicket-Great Pyrenees
Murphy-Great Pyrenees/Husky
Gwilly, Goo, Boo, Mouse, and Pooter-Cool Cats
Stan-Beloved Beta Fish                        Porthos, Athos, and Aramis-Koi Fish

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: He has fleas! Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:38:45 pm »
Diatomaceous earth  Dust him and brush in thoroughly so it gets down into his skin. Be sure to use the food grade DE not the brand used for pool filters.  Also a bath using Dawn dish detergent will kill the fleas but the effect doesn't last but a few days

Offline lucyswoman

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 02:17:31 pm »
Fleas don't like lavender or ceder. I've bought 5 large dog beds and they were all really cheap $19 from costco and they have ceder chips.  They are large enough that my pyr is comfortable on them. This is the first summer my jack russell hasn't been infested with fleas (her kidneys are weak so I'm afraid to use anything strong.) Don't really know if the ceder is why we aren't having fleas. As for the lavender, some people say it works. I have been spraying down my husbands and my bed with lavender once a day and Tia sleeps in the bed too???  good luck

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »
Some places have the killer fleas- like here and cedar and lavender don't work!!  I use cedar chips and cedar mulch every where without much effect and fleas are becoming resistant to some of the chemicals used to control too.  In puppies it is a big problem since it is recommended that you don't use the spot on until they are at least 12 weeks old. So you have a many week gap where the pup is exposed to fleas.  I have tried just about every natural remedy known for pups and found that diatomaceous earth was the best and lasted several days too.  Equus also makes an all natural flea spray that I used last year with good results.