Author Topic: Jumping in and out of the car?  (Read 5776 times)

Offline BigDogMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Jumping in and out of the car?
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:32:52 am »
This question comes from my hubby: Is it common for big dogs not to jump into and out of cars? 
My 6mo old great pyr, Wicket, seems not to know how to jump. Particularly into and out of the car. Naturally, my solution was to try a ramp for Wicket.  Hubby says "He doesn't need a ramp! He just needs to learn how to jump!"  My issue is, what if he never learns to jump? We can't keep lifting a now 60-70lb (and growing!) great pyr into and out of the car!  I was just wondering about other people's thoughts, experiences, and possible solutions to this situation.  Is this normal for pyrs or big dogs in general? Has anyone ever used the ramps before? 
Wicket-Great Pyrenees
Murphy-Great Pyrenees/Husky
Gwilly, Goo, Boo, Mouse, and Pooter-Cool Cats
Stan-Beloved Beta Fish                        Porthos, Athos, and Aramis-Koi Fish

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Jumping in and out of the car?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:05:10 am »
This is not uncommon for Pyrs  I have to teach all mine to get in and out of the cars unassisted.  Don't know- guess its genetic :>)

Offline BigDogMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:07:19 am »
Did you get them to jump or did you have to use a ramp?
Wicket-Great Pyrenees
Murphy-Great Pyrenees/Husky
Gwilly, Goo, Boo, Mouse, and Pooter-Cool Cats
Stan-Beloved Beta Fish                        Porthos, Athos, and Aramis-Koi Fish

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:44:30 pm »
Hi,

Use a ramp it is not good for giant breed dogs to jump in and out, especiallty when the growth plates are still forming!! How would your joints feel if you were constantly jumping 2 to 4 feet to get in and out of the car ;-), These big guys have the same issues with joints as us Bipeds!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad