Author Topic: fencing  (Read 5203 times)

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
fencing
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:30:41 pm »
What kind of fencing do you advise?  I have a ton of room and like to see the dogs run and play. My son steaked up some plastic fencing but one goes over it and the other under it. I resteaked it for more support and put tent pags around the bottom but they still get out.

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: fencing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:35:17 am »
What kind of dogs do you have and how old are they? This may help determine your best fencing.

I have an underground invisible fence and have had it over ten years with various breeds and love it. However, it is best to start them out on it as pups. It is not impossible to train an older dog, just easier to teach boundries to puppies. The key is training either way. You can't just put it in and let them loose and expect them to figure it out.

They also make a "radius" invisible fence, one you don't have to bury but the transmitter must be in the center of the fenced area and will transmit a signal in a specified radius around the transmitter.

If you are going to leave them outside unattended for any length of time, a physical fence would be a better bet and would keep people and other animals out as well as keep your dogs in.

I don't use my invisible fence when I am not at home to contain my dogs. They are still vulnerable to intruders, theft, etc. They may stay in but you need to be able to keep people/critters out as well.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: fencing
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:29 am »
Not sure where you are, but we have a fence made of Northern Cedar. We're in New England and the fence is exposed to all sorts of weather so it needed to be durable over time. I also wanted it to look good and to contain the dog.

I've seen plenty of dogs climb chain link fencing - if the dog can get a hold with its paws it can climb it, or a determined dog can push through the bottom over time (I watched my boss's dogs do this, then the neighbor called the police before we could catch them. Ugh. She replaced with stockade sections). You would have to know your dogs and what they would do.

Good luck!

Mary