Author Topic: Flooring for Doggy Play Room  (Read 7851 times)

Offline BigDogMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Flooring for Doggy Play Room
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:56 pm »
Hey guys!  So I was thinking about turning one of the rooms in my house into a doggy play room.  I was thinking rubber or foam flooring would be the best thing to go with.  Has anyone ever put rubber flooring in (or had it put in)?  Any ideas on where to get a good deal on the flooring?
Wicket-Great Pyrenees
Murphy-Great Pyrenees/Husky
Gwilly, Goo, Boo, Mouse, and Pooter-Cool Cats
Stan-Beloved Beta Fish                        Porthos, Athos, and Aramis-Koi Fish

Offline lucyswoman

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Flooring for Doggy Play Room
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:44:51 pm »
I don't think rubber would clean very well, I think it would just absorb an accident and forever smell.  Lucy has her own room and it has a nice bed and laminate flooring. As for rubber flooring - we have it in our shop and it came in interlocking pieces. You just put it together like a puzzle and it would be easy to replace parts, there is also the kind used in gym classes, but it is probably expensive. Just curious, why rubber?  As soon as even the slightest piece were to get torn, my guys would have a blast digging it up - then look at me like - but you said it was our play room.   ::) good luck.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:54:04 am »
If the size is not wider than a roll of linoleum that is what i would go with.  If the room is not too wide then there are no seams, it is durable and nothing can soak into it.

Offline BigDogMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:56:04 am »
Well I was thinking rubber or foam flooring because that is what they use in the doggy day care that I used to work for.  Also, when I was researching online the rubber flooring was also suggested.  I am leaning more toward the interlocking pieces.  The room used to be a garage and is 456 square feet, so I'm not sure the linoleum would be an option in that size.  I have stained concrete in the rest of my house, but I wanted to give them something a bit more comfortable to play on.  But I see your point of it getting ripped up  ::) :D.  The search continues...
Wicket-Great Pyrenees
Murphy-Great Pyrenees/Husky
Gwilly, Goo, Boo, Mouse, and Pooter-Cool Cats
Stan-Beloved Beta Fish                        Porthos, Athos, and Aramis-Koi Fish

Offline lucyswoman

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:18:52 am »
I don't like my dogs not to have a soft place either. You might try some cotton rugs that you can pile and then wash if the get icky.  I did that for lucy when I took her to my mothers since my mother only has 2 beds for 7 dogs. Lucy is staying with her now while I am taking care of my dad after his knee replacement, but lucy has made her own compromise - she crawls into bed with my mother at night ;D