Author Topic: hot spots  (Read 9108 times)

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
hot spots
« on: July 27, 2009, 06:23:42 pm »
Brandi was to be neutered today but she has a hot spot on her hip so it is cancelled for two weeks. It came up in a hurry I brush them almost every day.

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: hot spots
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »
what do you feed her?

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
She gets Hills, from the vets off. She is on medication and it is healing up very quickly.

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:53:31 pm »
i work at petco, i have for years, actually 4 years, im HUGE on nutritian, and no offence but i cant stand hills science diet, all vets recomend it but its because hills pays for there schooling, they get paid to tell you to use that food, most hot spots occur on dogs that arent fed the best food, (there food affects skin health, and alot of times there alergic to what they eat) my parents dog gets hot spots like crazy, ive been trying to get them to change his food for years but they wont listen to me, he eats pro plan,

it can also be caused from your dog gettin wet and not drying, there fur drys, but there skin stays wet, and breeds bacteria,

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:19:26 am »
There are no schools involved and I trust my vet completely. This is the first hot spot, I will watch but so far I am not concerned. The spot is healing up nicely. I think it has something to do with the two dogs play fighting and her hair is very thick. My daughters dog is on Hills too at a different vets office.

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:02:57 pm »
yeah keep an eye on it, if you continue to get more look for a food that has a skin and coat formula, im giving my dog eagle pack holistic giant breed puppy formula, its kind of hard to find but well worth it id say

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »
There are no schools involved and I trust my vet completely. This is the first hot spot, I will watch but so far I am not concerned. The spot is healing up nicely. I think it has something to do with the two dogs play fighting and her hair is very thick. My daughters dog is on Hills too at a different vets office.

Well, just in case it helps to have another weigh in here - Newf Owner is right here.  Hills sponsors the one and only text book used in vet school - all accredited vets in the U.S. are taught their one and only nutrition course by Hills, who also provides a "start up" offer upon graduation and starting a new practice.  They are indoctrinated by Hills just like the pharmaceutical s and M.D.s - Hills is as bad a food as there is out there - nothing beats it for lowest quality ingredients and whoever looks at those labels and thinks any of that is GOOD for any living being is crazy - most just don't read labels, but rather just follow the vet.

In reality, a vet knows little about nutrition unless they offer you and me more education, learning etc.  I would never take nutrition advice from my vets.

The Whole Dog Journal does an excellent review of dog food each year in Feb - and they analyze all ingredients, their source and processing plants and outline why those who don't make the cut, don't.  Hills has never made the cut and if you want to know more about why, I am happy to post more to explain their position.

Good foods, the top foods, are found in specialty supply stores - not a vets office or grocery store.  www.naturapet. com offers a good label analysis program also.

Hot spots are a sign of poor health in my view - in my 40 years of living with dogs, I have never had one.  Mine are wet all the time, and wrestle and play all the time.  Dogs should be able to do this without getting hot spots.

The skin is called the third kidney, because it is an expelling organ - most things affecting the skin are coming from the inside out - not external.  Rashes, hives, acne etc. - all signs of the inside issue coming out and hot spots are more often than not the same sign.  Food is a big culprit, with the immune system and bacteria.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Restless

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 04:16:58 pm »
Brandi was on Presidents Choice and table scraps before I got her and in with three or four other Newfys. I am watching her and so far no sign of hot spots. I think I have very good vets and trust them completely.

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 02:45:32 pm »
hills uses ash as a filler in ther cat food, and im talking ash like BURNT WOOD,  as a filler, who would want there pet to eat burnt wood? im not trying to attack you in any way, im just pointing that out.

im glad your giving your dog regualr vet check ups and stuff thats awesome