Author Topic: bark and bark and bark and more bark  (Read 12736 times)

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
bark and bark and bark and more bark
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:19:30 pm »
i never knew such a barker!!! rota barks when he wants attention, he barks when hes bored, he barks when he doesnt want attention HE BARKS WHEN HES NOT BARKING!!!!!! any one elses newf a talker like my boy? is this normal? will it ever stop!!! righ now im doing the "i dont hear you" thing, kinda hard to ignor though, he already has a huge bark (at 3 months old)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
Re: bark and bark and bark and more bark
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:58:08 pm »
Have you worked with Rota on any quiet/hush commands?  We struggled with this when we first adopted Raja (who barked for the first 4 days we had her straight - I had a never ending migraine). Nothing would make her stop.  Later learned that she knew "shut up" not "quiet" like our dogs.  Not that it worked all that well either.

We had success with the gentle spray collar (it doesn't work for all dogs, but did for us).  You can't use it all the time, dogs do need to bark, but it saved my life with the neighbors.  And allowed me time to better train her with verbal commands to stop those migraines!
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:44:19 am »
Our Bella is a barker too! We are currently working on this...she barks at Sasha to play, at us to play, at supper time, to get on the sofa, she's just very talky! Barking when someone comes to the door or is in the yard is okay, it is just the house barking that drives us crazy!

Right now, we are working on voice commands and also use a spray bottle with water when she doesn't listen. It is working pretty well. Bella hates the spray, so it is just near her, not on her (especially not her face).

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:01:25 pm »
yeah he barks to play he barks at my other dog, he'l just sit there and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and if i say ROTA SHHHHHHH, he looks at me and he'l like turn his head side ways like hes thinking, THEN HE BARKS MORE, hahah, ive never had a dog that barked this much, i havent tryed spray bottles yet, im trying the ignoring him think like if he barks he gets NO ATTENTION, but umm not working very much so far

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 06:54:15 am »
i have one that is a barker and one that almost never barks!!  you are  correct to work on the barking as i dont believe he will just stop on his own!!  good luck!

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 02:36:06 pm »
oh yeah, he still barks, and his bark seems to be growing with his body (gettin much louder) its weird, he only does it to my boy friend, and my boy friend is at the pont right now that he doesnt like rota very much, and i think rota can tell that he doesnt like him so he just keeps on barking, when its just me, hes fine, i think he is amazing and perfect, but he will just stand like one foot away from my boy friend and just bark, and bark and bark and bark, i dont get it

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 09:14:10 am »
For barking problems try bigbarks.com for advice from old friends.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:01:57 am »
i think will because... HE STILL BARKS, and the volume of his bark seems to be growing with his body, im sure hes doing it basically when he wants to play, and i tryed ignoring it, i tryed saying "NO" and distracting him, no luch, i tryed a squirt bottle.. nothing, infact that makes him bark more, (he LOVES water) lol