Author Topic: First trip to the dog park  (Read 6418 times)

Offline BigDogMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
First trip to the dog park
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:58 am »
Wicket and Murphy took their first trip to the dog park yesterday  ;D!  We have several in our area and decided to try the one closest to our house.  It is about 2 acres with and area for dogs over 30lbs and one for dogs under 30lbs.  Although, everybody was in the over 30lbs section regardless of dog size.  But everyone got along fine so I guess its no big deal.  I was surprised to find that my boys were pretty shy around the other pups.  Murphy did play more than Wicket, but they really just walked around and observed everthing.  Maybe its just because it was their first time  :). We do plan to take them on a regular basis now that they are both old enough.  There is another dog park in our area with a lake that they can go swimming in (they love to swim), and there is also a new indoor dog park that just opened. If anyone lives in the dallas area you should check out their website: www.unleashedd ogparks.com
Did anyone else's pups have the same experience?  Or do you think my guys are just shy?  ;)
Wicket-Great Pyrenees
Murphy-Great Pyrenees/Husky
Gwilly, Goo, Boo, Mouse, and Pooter-Cool Cats
Stan-Beloved Beta Fish                        Porthos, Athos, and Aramis-Koi Fish

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: First trip to the dog park
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 05:55:04 pm »
the very first time i took rota he was kinda shy and held his tail down, he didnt really want to play, only to walk around in the grass, NOW, hes a crazy running hopping dog toy stealing machine!!!!!! though hes really clumsy and he trips and goes tumbling through the grass and he can never catch the other dogs, he actually has a strange attraction to yellow labs, its weird, he always follows them, (there usualy different dogs, its a popular breed here)

but, my other dog cosby, my aussie i started taking  as soon as he turned 4 months i took him once a week every week... sadly, his experience wasnt the best, alot of dogs would bully him, he was attacked by a french bull dog, that literaly hung off his leg after i grabed him, and a german shephard, now hes not so social, i think it scared him, he doesnt like other dogs to well,

Offline BigDogMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:53 pm »
Yeah, I figured it was just because it was their first time.  I would like to take them once a week, especially if we find a dog park we and the pups really love.  I plan on taking them to another one this weekend.  That stinks that Cosby had such a bad experience :(. But at least Rota is having fun! I will let everyone know how our next adventure goes!
Wicket-Great Pyrenees
Murphy-Great Pyrenees/Husky
Gwilly, Goo, Boo, Mouse, and Pooter-Cool Cats
Stan-Beloved Beta Fish                        Porthos, Athos, and Aramis-Koi Fish

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:09 pm »
yeah you should check the one out where they can swim, there is one here like that, its at the bay, its called quiet waters (for any one in maryland)

its pretty cool