Author Topic: Sheba is Limping on her back paw!  (Read 32676 times)

Offline NewfLover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Sheba is Limping on her back paw!
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:50:26 am »
I got home this morning and I noticed that Sheba was walking funny so I took a closer look and she is not putting any weight at all on her back left leg!  She tends to limp here and there after resting for awhile but nothing like this - she wouldn't even come to me for a cookie!  I always worry about the ACL tears with my 3 Big Paws and I fear that we may be facing just that with her.  We noticed a prickly branch near where she was sitting but I don't see anything in the pads.  Of course, the vet just closed at 1:00 so I don't know if I should take her to the Animal ER or wait until Monday and have her checked.

What do you guys think?  Advice anyone? :'(
A dog naps so much because it loves so hard!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Sheba is Limping on her back paw!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 01:49:40 pm »
Wash it parozide on it,to,and a sock,over night!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 09:59:48 am »
if there is some thing stuck in her paw (like way down in there ) it might be very hard to see and she would deff. refuse to walk on it, untill the thorn or what ever is removed (we took a trip to arizona once, and there are these weird cactus plants EVERY WHERE and my dog gon a very tiny very pointy thorn stuck between his toes, i had to carry him) so yeah, but i dunno, the best bet would be to see your vet

Offline NewfLover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 02:35:09 pm »
We gave it overnight and she still won't bear any weight on the back leg.  However, she does seem to have full Range of Motion without pain so I think that is a good sign!  We just finished wrapping her paw in hydrogen peroxide and are going to see how she is tomorrow.  Most likely a vet visit tomorrow.   :-\  It was like she knew I was trying to help her because she just let me wrap the foot in gauze and put a sock over her leg, which is not like her! :'(

I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 05:33:41 pm »
oh the poor baby i feel so bad maggie had a limp once she had to get a shot,But with this it could have went up the foot,the vet will let u know,they are are kids,when Beethoven had his Declaws out oh it took so long to heal, he is know almost 6mos he is our secon't saint is 120 pounds very big,baby,we lost our molly at four years old to Bloat,so i really am carfull,but nothing we need wrong, just sad,and so hard to get over,but Beethoven fills our Hearts!!let me know how u make out,could be a little tiny slinter,i bet,gave a infection?marylee!!hugs

Offline NewfLover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:45:10 am »
We just got home from the vet and it is not something in her pad as we thought.  The vet said she has a torn (or partially torn) ligament and meniscus, which may require surgery.  :'(  My husband and I want to try and treat it conservatively with meds, rest and time.  I have done a lot of reading on the topic because this is one of my worst fears with my 3 giant breed dogs and surgery is not always the best option.  She seems a little better today and is putting some weight on the leg now as opposed to none at all so I am hoping that is a good sign.  Of course she was a big hit at the vets office!  They don't see many Newfie's down here in Florida and she was eating up all the attention. ;D  Right now I've got her locked in the bedroom with me so she will rest.  The biggest challenge is going to be keeping her away from my other two giant breed dogs because they tend to play rough and I don't want any further damage done to her knee.  I'm almost tempted to crate her for a few hours a day.  The vet showed me the x-ray and I could see arthritis build up in there and the ball was not sitting nicely on the tibia like it should.  They have sent the x-rays to Tampa Veterinarian for further review and I should know more at her visit in 10 days.

Anyone that has gone through this and can give me some advice, I would really appreciate it!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:12:49 am »
Hello,I just read about your pup,wait till the xrays come back,before surgury,this her front or back,also whirl pool path is good theapy, and chrop,too, need to find one that treats dogs but heat like peaple,sounds nuts like rest it could heal as stop running also look a threapy trainer,could help!!marylee fla might be one!!

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 06:57:15 am »
Hmmmm, I've had 4 newfs that have torn their cruciate. We've tried all the non-surgical methods, and sorry to say, none worked. Believe me, we tried! Although the surgery is expensive, all were a complete success throughout their entire lives. We waited for a period on one of them and ended up doing more damage than good. If they limp or toe tap after laying down for a little bit, especially after a walk, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the knee. Just our experience. If you get it done, make sure you INSIST on pain managment. These guys seem to be a little more sensitive to pain than other breeds we've had.  Good Luck
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

Offline NewfLover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Sheba is Limping on her back paw! UPDATE!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 02:00:36 pm »
Sheba is doing pretty good.  She goes back to the vet on Friday and we will find out about surgery then.  She is walking with just a slight limp on the back leg now so I don't know if it was actually a full tear or not!  How do we make the decision of surgery when they aren't even sure she tore something?  And to top it all off, my St. Bernard Bella is losing use of her back legs!  She was diagnosed with moderate hip dsyplasia when she was 8 months old but has done very well.  She just turned 5 in August and I am starting to notice her falling more and more - it is so sad!  She is the most loving dog and it is killing me to see her like this!  I don't know what they do for this but I certainly don't want to watch her become crippled from it!  I knew going in that 3 large breed dogs would be tough but we've been very lucky and they haven't ever had any major health problems until now.   :'(

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 07:02:44 am »
hello my saint is limping on her front paw i think its her joint she is going to the vet today or a pulled muselle i hope,marylee she is five,

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 04:35:17 pm »
Other than the cost, the surgery was the cure for my three monsters. If you follow the strict recovery recomendations, they really do bounce right back. We've never had kids, but our dogs have been our children and we spare no costs for thier well being, besides, you get it all back with interest!! ;)
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!