Author Topic: Say a little prayer for Donut  (Read 6626 times)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
Say a little prayer for Donut
« on: August 21, 2005, 11:49:06 pm »
When I picked up Donut yesterday in Fort Worth, I also picked up Sadie, a 2 year old female pyr. Sadie had been spayed that morning, and was lethargic and had thrown up several times. We blamed it on the operation and anesthetics. I brought them both back to Garland and left Sadie at her new foster home. Late last night Sadie began throwing up blood. The vet blamed the blood it on a stomach infection reacting with the anesthesia, but he wanted to check several things out at the same time.

It turns out Sadie was high positive for Parvo. Donut was exposed for several hours. We give our own shots, and Donut had not had her's yet.

The vet had us start Donut's shots today, and we've started him on Tamuiflu also. Sadie is staying at the vets, getting fluids. Her temperature was 105, but it's down now.

Poor little Donut, in the last 24 hours she's been bathed, had a Capstar shoved down her throat, a thermometer up her butt, a syringe of Tamiflu in her mouth,  Panacure added to her food, and a needle under her skin. She may never trust me again!

We' love our dogs, but have no idea how to pay for another serious medical bill if another dog gets sick. The tamiflu was about $40, but Sadie's vet trip drained out the bank account. We've had about 30 dogs come in the last month, and only 6 go out (not counting Laurie's 2). We got a notice today, that there is a female in McKinney AC with bad hips. I don't know if we will be able to take her. We need more foster families, and we need to adopt out some dogs to get some cash flow!

So, please keep us, Donut, Sadie, and all our other dogs in you prayers.

Walter - Pupdaddy

The Picture below is Donut in her seatbelt! I was afraid to put her in the back of the SUV, which was where the sick dog rode yesterday, so she sat up front with me.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Say a little prayer for Donut
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:47:43 am »
Ohhhh I am so sorry to hear this. Poor Sadie. I will be keeping all my fingers and paws crossed here and send good thoughts your way.

I feel for you Walter, sometimes rescue work seems like a never ending story and you can simply never get ahead.

I really hope little Donut is going to be okay. And yes..... she will trust you I am sure of that. It is my strong belief that animals can feel if you really and truly care for them and love them. It might be a bump in the road for a little while but she will soon learn to trust and love you back.

Give her big hugs and tell her she's got a very very big group of doggies and their people cheering on for her and her friend Sadie.

Hugs

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 06:05:46 am »
We'll keep Donut, Sadie and you all in our thoughts and prayers :)
Rescue work can be tough to do, so thank you for doing all that you do to save and improve the lives of our furry friends!
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 06:08:19 am »
Oh, Pupdaddy! Wow! You're a hero, of COURSE Donut is going to love and trust you! You're savin' babies over there! Good job and good luck and we'll ALL be prayin' for you, Sadie and Lil' Donut!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 06:12:40 am »
We send our hugs and prayers for Donut, and your family. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 06:26:03 am »
I hope both of your dogs get better. Donut is so small and cute. That's great what you're doing even though it's very hard. Good luck to you all.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 07:09:59 am »
my prayers are with you
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 07:43:32 am »
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope they both are doing better today.
Rachael and Spike

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 01:39:20 pm »
I am praying for both dogs...I am sure you are very frightened!...Please let us know how things go for the dogs...Ty so much for taking care of these beautiful beasts! :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 01:41:42 pm »
oh I'll definately put a good word into the big dog in the sky for these two!  keep us posted.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 01:53:58 pm »
It turns out Sadie was high positive for Parvo. Donut was exposed for several hours. We give our own shots, and Donut had not had her's yet.

The vet had us start Donut's shots today, and we've started him on Tamuiflu also. Sadie is staying at the vets, getting fluids. Her temperature was 105, but it's down now.

As a fellow rescuer, I've heard good things from other fellow rescuers about usingTamiflu to treat parvo. Good luck. I've had a couple fosters come down with it and it's not pretty, fun or cheap.

We' love our dogs, but have no idea how to pay for another serious medical bill if another dog gets sick. The tamiflu was about $40, but Sadie's vet trip drained out the bank account. We've had about 30 dogs come in the last month, and only 6 go out (not counting Laurie's 2). We got a notice today, that there is a female in McKinney AC with bad hips. I don't know if we will be able to take her. We need more foster families, and we need to adopt out some dogs to get some cash flow!

That's always such a difficult decision, but I've come to learn you have to rejoice in the ones you CAN and DID help and not linger on the ones you just weren't able to save because of finances or the severe neglect that was inflicted on them before you found them (or they found you). Sometimes, all you can do is ask for them to make a swift and gentle transition to the next life.

It took me a long time to accept that, despite my best efforts, extreme desires, willingness to let my bills go unpaid to help another, there was no way I could save them all. I have to save as many as I can without sacrificing my abilities to save more.

It all goes back to that favorite story of many rescuers about the little boy on the beach who was throwing starfish back into the ocean. Have you heard this?  For those of you who have not:

A man walked along a beach after the tide had gone out. The beach was littered with dying starfish who had been washed ashore. Up in the distance he saw a little boy flinging something into the water. As we got closer he noticed the boy was methodically picking up the starfish, one by one, and throwing them back into the ocean.

The man approached the little boy and asked, "Why do you bother throwing the starfish back? There are so many, most of them are surely going to die before you can save them. What difference does it make."

The little boy picked up another starfish and threw it into the ocean. As he turned to pick up another, he replied to the man, "It mattered to that one."

Keep doing what you're doing. It matters to Donut and Sadie. :-*

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

dohertyswissy

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 02:05:30 pm »
How heartbreaking!  Fingers and paws crossed for Sadie, Donut, and you!

Jeanne - I absolutely love that story.  How true, how true!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 02:20:29 pm »
That is a wonderful story Jeanne.  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 04:51:30 pm »
I am hoping everthing turns out for all of you.  So sotty about all the stress

smohr

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 05:12:23 pm »
I hope Sadie and Donut feel better soon.  Nice story Jeanne.  Walter, I pray you have lots of finances come in soon.  I understand about the vet bills.  My dane Lady had over $6000 in vet bills and we lost her anyway.  I say VETS are WAY OVER PAID!!!   ::)  They seem to take advantage of our heartstrings and love for our pets.  :(