Author Topic: good companion for a Pyr?  (Read 11854 times)

Offline jupiters_gal

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
good companion for a Pyr?
« on: April 09, 2005, 02:55:20 pm »
Hi, just found this forum! pretty cool, anyways, we have a 3yr old Pyr, Misty who we rescued this winter, what a love!

We are thinking she would like another dog to romp and play with in our fenced in yard, but aren't sure if another Pyr would be the way to go....

any suggestions?

Rufiesmom

Re: good companion for a Pyr?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 06:45:07 pm »
Our Pyr is 7 and we got him from the breeder when he was 2 so he was well socialized with other dogs.  We had a 16 yr. old lab/shep mix when we got him that didn't like anyone but he loved Rufus.  We have had 2 rotties with Rufus, one currently and the other died of bone ca.  I don't think he has met another dog that he doesn't like or get along with.  Our neighbors have a Corgi and he is in love with her.  Pyrs are great dogs!!!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 03:59:53 pm »
Pyrs pretty much get along with other animals but you might want to stay away from a female - there can only be one dominate bitch and if they both want to be top dog there will be fights and Pyr fights are rather impressive.  Male female combinations almost always work and a lot of Pyrs actually like having a cat friend!!

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 04:09:20 am »
You are absolutely right, Pyrs love cats!!  Rufus loves bossy girls too!  Both of our rotties were bitches.

Offline ToddsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 02:20:43 am »
You are absolutely right, Pyrs love cats!!  Rufus loves bossy girls too!  Both of our rotties were bitches.

I think my pyr is afraid of cats!

Cats have nasty claws, and pyrs have tender noses...    ;D

Offline amajac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 10:19:21 pm »
My Pyr. (Damion)  was best friends with my saint, Molly.  Was in love with my cat Muffin and took walks with the my daughters pet chicken Hazel.  They walked my daughter to and from the bus every day.  The only animals he had trouble with were the ducks, he picked them up and carried them around, wouldn't hurt a feather on them, but they tended to stress out and faint.

Cheryl and her furkids, Saint Austin, Smokey the Cat, Mr. Spock, Warlock and Mouse.
Cheryl Hain
Amajac

Offline Tabby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 09:53:45 am »
My Pyr likes his ferret friends :)