Author Topic: Help... behaviour issue  (Read 6143 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Help... behaviour issue
« on: August 23, 2005, 05:21:29 pm »
Angus is very good with my family, gets excited of course but calms down quickly and sits or plays with his toys, doesn't jump on all the children EXCEPT my sisters 2 year old daughter. I have a 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter and Angus only shows passing interest in them, but my sisters daughter is another story... he is constantly knocking her down and sometimes just sitting on her. Also, with strangers or anyone who comes over to admire him, at my house or while we are out for a walk he gets super excited, trying to nip and jump and he is getting harder to control around strangers. Whenever he sees someone while we are out he can't wait to get to them, I can't even get his attention. How can I break him of this habit or will he grow out of it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: Help... behaviour issue
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 05:29:23 pm »

The very first thing you MUST do is take control of the situation away from your dog.

Use your leash.

Do NOT allow him to disrespect a 2YO. I do not think that many dogs can EVER be really reliable around such a small toddler, they just have no concept of body mass, and they will knock them over, This is my experience anyway.

For the other issue, he simply needs to be taught manners. If you have not been to a training class, I would highly recommend one. Here he will learn to properly walk on leash, sit in heel position, and you will learn how to teach him to pay attention to you.

In new situations where he might not have enough self control to behave himself, you  have to assist him. Keep your collar very high up on his neck behind the ears, like this:

Command the dog to sit, and demand his attention. Reward him handsomely for being correct.

Gradually work your way to people visiting with the dog on a loose leash.

Have you been to any training classes with him? How old is he? Is he neutered or intact? Have you trained him to pay attention when you ask him to?
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 05:47:44 pm »
Angus is 15 weeks old and is still intact. Training classes are in the very near future. He walks very good on the leash, this situation with people has happened recently and I can see that it is escalading. Also we never have him alone with the 2 year old and are quick to react. He does pay attention to me, knows sit, down and I have been working on stay with him but his attention span is not very long.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 05:51:10 pm »
Great visual Red. The pic was an awesome idea. I agree too...dogs have no clue how big they are and how a little tap can send a baby flyng. I think that once he gets used to the baby being around and is calm, watch him closely and her too.

In our case, whenever a child is near we have Bear lay down and stay in that position the entire time the baby is close. That way we avoid any unnecessary accidents and he has learned so well that it is almost implied by him when he sees a small child. he just knows, "Here is a baby. I have to lay still while they are near me."  :D  I also tell him to be careful because there is a baby by him and he has heard that enough to know to be more careful with his body.

Good luck! Angus is a smart boy and he will learn how to chill out with a baby near by in no time.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 05:56:05 pm »
We have a 4 month old and 1 month old baby in our house and Angus doesn't bother them at all. Just the 2 year old and people who do not live here!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 06:31:35 pm »
I have two year old too. Kiah has knocked her over a few times. That was when we first got her three months ago. Everytime Kiah would get hyper and run with my daughter I would tell Kiah to stop and make her go lay on her bed. Now all I have to do is say "stop bed" and Kiah goes. Now they do play well together. I don't leave them alone either. Kiah does get excited with other kids around, but not really with adults. I'm socializing Kiah more with kids by taking her to the park. I also have a playgroup with my daughter, so other kids come over to our house too. Just be consistent and I think it will be better when she mutures. Kiah is now 5 1/2 months. Good Luck!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 07:44:26 pm »

Angus is just a baby.

Please read my puppy training article for info on how to mold his behavior into what you want.

At this stage in his life, you should really allow him zero chances to make the wrong choices, or demonstrate the wrong behaviors.

You need to supervise really carefully, and gently control his behavior and interactions with others. Positively reward all the behaviors you want, and interrupt him, and redirect him to a different behavior for the ones you don't want.

He is still SMALL at 14 weeks, so you have the perfect time now to get him in line before he is 100 lbs.

Hope you have your training class lined up, and if you can't find my puppy training piece, let me know, or see it here:

http://www.animalforum.com/dpuppy101.htm

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 08:09:39 pm »
Thanks  RedyreRottweil ers, I'll be sure to check out your puppy training article. Also I live in a small city and the trainers or puppy classes are hard to come by as there are only a few in my area but I still hope to be in class with Angus within the next 3 weeks. Thanks again.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 11:25:52 pm »
I taught my dogs by taking them to places like Petsmart and the park. Find a spot not too close to the action, but where your pup can see people coming and going. As soon as he is interested- ears up, tail ready to wag, but BEFORE he gets silly, wave a smelly treat enclosed in your fist right under his nose, and ask for a sit.  He has to stay sitting until the distraction passes. Every time his attention wavers, pass the hand with the treat under his nose again. You can even keep the hand in front of his face, and open the space between your finger and your thumb enough to prompt him to stick his nose or tongue in- just don't give up the treat until the exciting thing is past.  If he doesn't hold the sit, correct him for getting up and put him back in position.  This not only teaches manners, but it also teaches that when something exciting happens you look to me for directions.  Earnest flushed a deer out of some high grass a while back, he ran to me and sat, as he has been conditioned to do anytime something exciting or out of the ordinary happens. You have to read the dog, and ask for the "sit and pay attention" everytime they show that spark of interest in something going by- the idea is to redirect that attention to you.  I don't allow greeting people or dogs during this phase, I want the dog to stop anticipating the greeting. As time goes by, they will learn to sit automatically when someone approaches, you can add allowing a greeting then. As far as greeting guests in your home, same thing, they must sit before being petted or allowed to greet guests, use your lead to enforce the rules, if he gets silly he gets a time out in another room. You can try again later, you keep conditioning that the only time the pup gets to see company is if he behaves.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 10:07:16 am »
Two year olds are very very active in a different way than younger or older children.
Angus is at the age where he would see a 2 year old as a littermate and play in the same way he would with his siblings. 

You cannot have this.

It's probably more promininent with the 2 year old because of their wonderful activity level.

The positve side!  Your two year old will learn how to behave with a puppy and  Angus will learn the "OFF" command!!
 ;)

Luv.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 05:20:34 am »
Update... It's only been 3 days but Angus is doing much better with kids and strangers. I live right next door to a drug store so there is always people walking by and I have been bringing Angus out to my driveway to watch everyone going back and forth to the store. I keep him in the sit position and let him watch and if he gets the urge to move towards any of them I ask him to sit and give a treat after the people have passed. He even sat once on his own when someone came walking by! Also, I have him on the leash with me whenever the 2 year old is near and I again ask him to sit and he is doing well though the 2 year old is more than willing to try and get Angus to chase her, which I will not allow. We had 8 children in my house last night (ages 1 month to 8 years old) and only 1 incident where Angus wanted to jump up on them, which he could not do as I had control of him.

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 06:17:55 am »
Sound like Angus is getting the hang of it. I will have to do something like that with Farley.

Good Boy Angus.  Any more adventures latley!!??!?!?!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 06:25:30 am »
No adventures lately. Getting the house ready to sell, raining almost every day (today is the 4th day of rain!!) And back to school is coming on fast plus I'm designing 2 websites as well as my regular 9 to 5 job (where I am online all day!). But his adventures will continue...... .............. .............. ..

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 09:48:49 am »
Of course his adventures will continue....he is a Newfie after all!  and there are all sorts places to go, people to see and adventures to have!!!  He is adorable!