Author Topic: Heeeeeere's LOLA!!  (Read 14657 times)

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Heeeeeere's LOLA!!
« on: August 24, 2005, 07:00:33 am »
Thought I'd get a few pics in here of our Giant Schnauzer baby, Lola, who is 4.5 months old and 44 lbs as of this posting.  Hope some more Giant owners are out there too!

Here's one for starters - I'd say Lola's getting comfortable in her new home, don't you think :D ?
Pop to Lola, the Batgirl :D

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Heeeeeere's LOLA!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 07:04:03 am »
We've got a new nickname for her as well ( to the tune of "Batman"):

Na na na na na na na na,
na na na na na na na na...

BATGIRL!!

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 07:06:09 am »
Here's a few more, then I'll chill out a bit...

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 07:06:28 am »
You puppy is so perky!  I love that face!

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 07:11:52 am »
Thanks so much Lin!  She's a handful and that face is funny/hard to resist.  Hey - didn't you have a silky once?  If that's the one I'm thinking of, she sure was a beauty...as are your two babies now :) .

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 07:12:46 am »
She is so striking! There was a giant schnauzer in the one of our obedience classes and I so envied the guy that worked him. He picked things up so quickly, and I just plodded along with poor Merlin, trying his best, getting it right once in awhile by pure accident.... Is Lola as alert and smart as she looks? Fill me in a bit about their temperment, because I'd love to know more.
Stella

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 07:17:58 am »
Thanks so much Lin!  She's a handful and that face is funny/hard to resist.  Hey - didn't you have a silky once?  If that's the one I'm thinking of, she sure was a beauty...as are your two babies now :) .

Yes that's me...I had the Silky!  I love terriers!  she's been gone for 5 months now.

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 07:31:51 am »
Hi Stella :) !  I'd love to share info on them.  This page really sums it up well - although its not quite as challenging as they make it out to be.

http://www.triplecrownkennel.com/traingiant.html

They are working dogs who love a task, although they invent variations if you're not keeping it interesting.  Lola wants to please, but will test periodically - sometimes for entertainment, sometimes to be reminded she's not the alpha.

She has an incredibly calm demeanor when not at vigorous play.  She has spurts of high intensity activity - sprinting around the yard at full speed, darting between bushes, chasing balls/sticks.  Then she calms down and takes a nap.  Pretty aloof with other dogs, although she seems to have a crush on a retired racing grehound in the neighborhood ;) .

Very much a guard dog.  Always alert and attentive to what's happening around her.  Doesn't bark a lot, but will announce a newcomer or stranger happening down the street with one or two deep "Woof!"s.

So many dogs are smart.  She appears to be very quick as well.  You can see her figuring things out as she goes along.  She picked up basic sitting and staying very quickly.  We haven't thrown too much at her yet, but have high hopes. 

Thanks for asking about Giants.  I'm sorry if I rambled too much ::) .

dohertyswissy

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 07:44:38 am »
Lola is gorgeous!!  She is sooo strinking!  The info you provided is great and no worries - you can never give us too much information about a breed you love!  Hmm.....maybe a Giant would be a good playmate for Ranger....;)

Keep those pictures coming! 

Heather

GR8DAME

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 08:21:52 am »

Thanks for asking about Giants.  I'm sorry if I rambled too much ::) .

No such thing, especially about your baby on this board!  ;D. I love to hear about the different breeds characteristic s and mannerisms from the people that would really know. I've learned alot since I joined this board and hope to continue doing so with the help of people willing to share. So... Thanks!
Stella

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 08:35:08 am »
What a gorgeous puppy.  :)  I have a question, how do you tell the difference between a black giant schnauzer and a bouvier?  I haven't seen many in person but in pictures they look very similar.  Both gorgeous though!  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:33:50 am »
Lola is beautiful. I grew up with miniture schnauzers. I always wanted a giant instead of the min. My parents always won out.LOL
I would love to see more pictures.

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 11:34:10 am »
You're wlecome Stella :) .

Torizmojo - that's a good question.  A quick check of the web confirms that, at least in rescue, the two types can be confused with each other easily.  There's an older Bouvier in my neighborhood.. .it appears to have a heavier, shaggier coat.  But the Giant's can be grown out as well.  Basically the differences can be seen in the grooming, or so I've read.  Bouvier is in the herding group, Schnauzer the working group (as if that makes any difference :D ).  Good question!!

Thanks Dogs4ever. I'm pretty clueless about most breeds...I look forward to learning more out here though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 11:35:49 am by Edge »

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 01:49:07 pm »
Lola is beautiful.... I love schnauzers, I used to have a salt and pepper min. called Happy, she was such a funny dog, AND the best food snatcher ever hehe

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 01:50:45 pm »
Snauzers are great dogs.  Missy had some in her.  Terrier and Snauzer...that was a heck of a mix.