Author Topic: Help-Mastiff  (Read 22699 times)

Offline mastiffwanter

• Gnawer
  • My small paw friend and I want a big pawed friend
    • View Profile
    • Bow Wow Links
Help-Mastiff
« on: April 11, 2005, 09:42:00 pm »
Just wanted to know if anyone would like to give me some pointers on getting a mastiff and which breed I should go with. English, Dogue de Bordeaux, or Neopolitan!!!   I really want one and I am trying to get all the information before I make the big leap. I work with dogs and have for a little over 3years now at doggie daycares and have seen many different breeds and am really leaning towards a mastiff. Please give me any insider information you can to help me make the right choice about getting a mastiff. Thanks
I need one that gets along with all sizes of dogs!!! ???
~Staci

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Help-Mastiff
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 09:54:40 pm »
I'm not the person to ask as I am a newf guy - but if I were to pick a mastiff, I would probably go with the Neo. Those are some cute monsters. Anyway, I envy you as you're about to get a new dog!

Offline mastiffwanter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bow Wow Links
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 08:38:57 am »
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. ;D
~Staci

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 09:06:56 am »
I'm not the person to ask as I am a newf guy - but if I were to pick a mastiff, I would probably go with the Neo. Those are some cute monsters. Anyway, I envy you as you're about to get a new dog!

Do not go with a Neo!  Expecially if you have other dogs.  They are known to be dog aggressive expecially with same sex dogs.

Do your research!  Check out each breed.  Visit breeders.  Do not jump into a decision like this with out knowing everything you can about the breed.

Rachel
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline mastiffwanter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bow Wow Links
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 09:51:57 am »
Hello Rachel,
     Thank you for your help! I will be doing plenty of research before getting my own. I will be moving to a bigger house and a little over 1 acre lot so that the dog will have enough room to play. Therefore, I will not be getting the dog before the beginning of September if not later, depending on how fast I get settled and enough information to make the right decision.
Thanks a bunch!   
If you have a mastiff could you please tell me a few things about it any pointers!!
Staci  ;D
~Staci

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 10:54:30 am »
I have grown up with English Mastiffs (EM) all my life.  I just recently rescued a Cane Corso mix from a shelter (she is the one in the picture next to my name).

I love EM's they are truely the best dogs.  They love people, kids, dogs, anything thats friendly to them...of course this is with proper training.  They are lap dogs stuck in a big dog's body.  They will follow you around and of course drool on everything.  They are just the sweetest dogs I have ever met.

Have you had a big dog before?  Mastiffs in general get really big and they do need lots of training and love.

Here is a great website for the EM and a very good place to start your research.
http://mastiff.org/faq/

Let me know what kind of questions you have and I'll see if I can help or atleast steer you in the right direction.  I have done lots and lots of research myself.

Rachel
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline mastiffwanter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bow Wow Links
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 11:50:57 am »
Thanks again for your help!
     I need all the help I can get to make the right choice (if this breed is right for me). I have a lab that is larger but not fat wise than most labs. However, I know he doesn't weigh near what a mastiff would. I have a really close friend who has irish wolfhounds and I just love them to death, and as I mentioned earlier in the post I have been working with dogs for a few years now getting to know the different breeds and sizes. We currently have 3 mastiffs that are pretty regular clients that come in for daycare and a few more that aren't so regular. So I know that they love to be lap dogs because if we sit on the floor they come over and try to sit on us or at least lay down with their head on us.
      I did however, look at the website and read almost all the question, some I have to go back and read, before I saw this post. Thanks!! I am one of those ppl that think any dog can be friendly as long as it gets raised the proper way and as long as it comes from a good background and the owner trains it and gets it exposed to everything at a young age.
      My biggest question would have to be do you think if I got a mastiff while it was really young and coming from friendly parents, and exposed it to little dogs it would be fine with my other dog. My dog is a Shih Tzu and she doesn't way very much probably 10-12lbs. I got her when she was 2 months old and starting taking her to doggie daycare (my work) with me at 4months and so now she loves every size of dog and thinks they all want to play with her. She even loves the full grown mastiff we have at work named Gerti, they play together pretty well. However, I know dogs act different at home.
      I would be taking the mastiff pup with me to work to get her socialized at an early age and would take her as often as she wants to go with me. And I would train her like I did my Shih Tzu followed by more obedience classes.
To some it up:
    I want a huge breed dog that is great with small dogs
    Loves to cuddle-can get on the furniture
    Inside dog, but likes it outside
    Loves other dogs-----so I can be with her as much as possible----(go with me to work)
   Good with ppl unless there is a bad vibe-----then protective-----but not to the point it will kill someone

Do you think this is the right breed for me??

Sorry it is soooooo long....

~Staci

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 12:40:22 pm »
I think the mastiff would be great with the Shih Tzu. I don't have personal experiance with mastiffs and small dogs but I have heard a lot of good stories.  There is one person on another group that has a mastiff and a puppy French Bulldog and they seem to be getting along just great.  Taking the mastiff puppy to doggie daycare with you is a great idea.  I think your next step would be to visit some breeders, see puppies and the full grown dogs and find someone you like that is breeding for the right reason. You can also look at rescue sites like petfinder.org there are puppys on there sometimes.

Here is another website with some really cute/funny mastiff stories definitly worth the read. http://www.messiahmastiffs.com/stories.htm

Oh and by the way...I don't know if you will want the Mastiff up on the couch with you because they'll take up the entire thing!   hehe   ;D

Rachel
p.s. look up EnglishMastiff on groups.yahoo.c om there is a really great group with lots of knowledgable breeders and owners. Its a great place to find information.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline mastiffwanter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bow Wow Links
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 01:41:04 pm »
Thank you soooo much for all your help, I will look into all of the websites you have suggested. ----I just signed up for the mastiff yahoo group and just got back from picking up a book all about mastiffs. I will be talking to vets sometime soon, and hopefully checking in with breeders. You have been such a big help to me I really appreciate it!!!!! Have a great day! 
:)
~Staci

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 01:49:01 pm »
The dogs don't seem to take size into consideration when they choose to be friends.  My St. Bernard's best dog-friend is the Cairn Terrier next door.  The problem is when they play.  Josh is so much bigger than Scruffy that a playful paw swat can send Scruffy rolling across the yard.   So some care must be taken that the big dog doesn't accidentally hurt the little dog..

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 02:02:51 pm »
 ;D  no problem glad I could help...  Please keep us updated (here or on yahoo) on what you decide to do.

Good Luck,
Rachel
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline mastiffwanter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bow Wow Links
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 09:14:23 pm »
Hello, I will do my best to keep all of you on the post up to date.
I know that my parents lab and my shih tzu are best friends and sometimes he can play a little hard with her but we watch and make sure it is nothing that can hurt her.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Staci
8)
~Staci

Offline mollieboo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 01:52:37 pm »
I have a female English Mastiff, Zorra, who is 2 1/2, a female cock-a-poo, female cocker and a male mix, four in all.  Zorra gets along with them all!  She is just a big baby.  She loves them all but is my lap dog - although she can only put her head in my lap.  All the mastiffs I know are great with kids and other dogs alike.  Good luck!

Sharol ;)

Offline mastiffwanter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bow Wow Links
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 11:25:31 am »
Thank you sooo much that really gives me great hope!!!!
~Staci

Offline JaxandLivi

• Gnawer
  • My Little Babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 07:20:52 am »
I have an English Mastiff (male) and a BullMastiff (female), which both are fixed.  I was told that opposite sexs are a much better and safer mix when it comes to the Mastiffs living in the same house.  They both have completely different personalities - the EM loves to cuddle and just be next to you at all times and the Bull likes her space and be alone.  I am not sure if these are common traits, but they compliment each other.  They get along great, they always play and cuddle together.  I am very pleased with my two and I will always love the Mastiff!  Thanks.
Michelle