Author Topic: Finicky Eater??  (Read 9423 times)

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
Finicky Eater??
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:53:03 pm »
Any suggestions, or advice.  Cassie will not eat her breakfast or dinner (depending) usually 3-5 times a week.  It is getting to be a problem because it's a waste of money, and I am concerned that she is not getting enough nutrition.  Her growth has slowed waaaaayyyyy down she is not 10 months and 144 pounds (big girl)   Although she is not overweight.  Should I be worried or am I doing something wrong, she is on a schedule breakfast 6:30am dinner 6:30 pm  about 5 cups of kibble (Nutro, Puppy for Large Breed) each meal with homemade chicken and broth (approximately 1 cup)  . She has a raised dish, and is given breakfast following her morning walk of about 3/4 of a mile.  Any help or co-misery would be helpfu??? 
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Finicky Eater??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 07:34:55 am »
Spotakiss used to be the same way so I decided maybe a spoon full of canned food along with the dry and some water and stir it up.It must be working .Hes 5 months yesterday and weighs 80lbs!Oh I feed him Eukanuba.

alexeeah

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:24:44 am »
Hey just a heads up ...... alot of saints don't eat when you want them too. I have to basically free feed because when Zoe is fed supper she won't eat it but if you leave it an hour later she comes back to it. I just put in the amount that she can have for all day and when she's  hungry she eats. At first I thougth there was some thing wrong with her but I've come to realize that a lot of saints are like that.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 12:27:58 pm »
Any suggestions, or advice.  Cassie will not eat her breakfast or dinner (depending) usually 3-5 times a week.  It is getting to be a problem because it's a waste of money, and I am concerned that she is not getting enough nutrition.  Her growth has slowed waaaaayyyyy down she is not 10 months and 144 pounds (big girl)   Although she is not overweight.  Should I be worried or am I doing something wrong, she is on a schedule breakfast 6:30am dinner 6:30 pm  about 5 cups of kibble (Nutro, Puppy for Large Breed) each meal with homemade chicken and broth (approximately 1 cup)  . She has a raised dish, and is given breakfast following her morning walk of about 3/4 of a mile.  Any help or co-misery would be helpfu???  

Seamus is also going through a not eating phase.  Our vet thinks it may be attributed to a problem from giving him antibiotics.  He is also on Nutro.  Can I ask why you decided to go with Nutro?  Our breeders recommended it.  The more I learn from you i'm really beginning to think our dogs are related.  Seamus is 10 months too. 
We also free feed Seamus.  He self regulates, but I find he isn't usually hungry in the morning.  His eating times are late afternoon to evening.  The only problem is, he is a big pooper.  You never know when he'll have to go.  Fortunately he is potty trained so it is under control.
Our vet also recommended Eukenuba.  I think we may switch soon.  Let me know what you decide to do, and let me know if it works.
Good luck!

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 11:46:17 am »
I also free feed in the day. I will put a few cups of dry food in their bowls and they eat when they are hungry then if any is left  at dinner time, 5 pm I add to it and split a small can of dog food between them for taste.  I swear Sassy can tell time because at 5pm she wants to eat now. She didn't miss a beat when we went to day light savings, was ready at 5 and telling me about it.
The weather plays a part in their eating. They eat allot less when it gets hot. 
The older I get the less I know