Author Topic: is she drinking wayyy too much water?  (Read 8378 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
is she drinking wayyy too much water?
« on: August 26, 2005, 08:19:33 am »
Nikki (7 months, 80lbs) downed almost 1.5 qts of water (the biggest platic bowl they offer at pet supplies plus) at one sitting.... granted, she apparently ran out of water early in the morning, but STILL!!!

is this NORMAL??? i mean, half of the water spilled all over the ground but... it freaked me out..

Nicole

Re: is she drinking wayyy too much water?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 08:21:34 am »
I wouldn't worry. Cabeza often drinks like, almost a half a gallon of water in one sitting. (Alot of it does end up on the floor, though!) He's not a Saint, but he's a 100 pound Newf mix. He just drinks ALOT.

I think that there is something to watch for with the water consumption... .I can't remember what it is. But, I think the thing with that is just CONSTANT drinking, and seemingly unable to quench the thirst.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 08:23:20 am »

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 08:24:39 am »
I have the same problem with Riley - when we went to the park, while all the other dogs swim in the lake, he is more interested in drinking from it!  It seems like when he sees water in his bowl, he has to drink until it is finished.  Even after he finishes it and I fill it up again.  I don't think he's ever left any water in his bowl.  Freaks me out too.  And its not like he never gets water so I know hes not dehydrated or anything.  We always soak his food in water too... he drinks the water first then eats the food.  I get nervous cause I feel like him drinking too much water is not good for him.   Thoughts?  ???
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 08:24:59 am »
I wouldn't worry. Cabeza often drinks like, almost a half a gallon of water in one sitting. (Alot of it does end up on the floor, though!) He's not a Saint, but he's a 100 pound Newf mix. He just drinks ALOT.

I think that there is something to watch for with the water consumption... .I can't remember what it is. But, I think the thing with that is just CONSTANT drinking, and seemingly unable to quench the thirst.

I think it is diabetes, they will comsume alot of water constantly. I would keep an eye on it over a few days. Puck will do that he will drink a huge amount in one sitting and spill most of it too.

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 08:32:17 am »
I guess I just feel like I know my dog. If something is wrong, I'm going to notice it. With Cabeza, consuming alot of water has just been the normal thing for five years. So, in five years, nothing has been wrong. Look for other signs of illness with Nikki and Ranger. If there isn't really anything else, don't freak out.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 08:35:44 am »
besides diabetes (in a 7 months old pup, unlikely, but possible), the other common reason for exessive water consumption is hyperthyroidis m (also listed in that petsplace.nets cape.com link)...

funny thing, last nite, i blocked the water bowl from her for about 5 minutes (after she had downed half the bowl)... and eventually, she just forgot about it and didn't fight to get back to the bowl.

as far as Riley drinking from the lake, when Cody, the golden, drinks too much L ake Michigan water, he gets  the runs :P ... so i have to watch that too..

i really can't have her drinking the ENTIRE bowl at a time because it'd leave my other dog, the golden, in the desert so...  :-\

« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 08:38:59 am by tonyc »

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 08:41:04 am »
Do you live on Lake Michigan, too Tony? I live in Michigan City, Indiana. Cabeza doesn't ever seem to have a problem with the runs when he drinks alot of Lake Michigan water....or maybe I just haven't noticed. He drank a TON of water out of the lake yesterday.

But, I do get concerned about that cuz I used to work for the health department and did the e.coli testing. So, I know it can be yucky.

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 08:41:49 am »
Does she kind of play in the water too. Puck will bite at it and just let in run out of his mouth ::)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 08:43:46 am »
yah... we're in Chicago... we usually take' em up to the doggy park @ Montrose Beach on the north shores of Chicago. of course Chicago lake shore lines are the filthiest along the lake so the e.coli vs. runny poopy doesn't really surprise me...  :-[

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 08:47:48 am »
Oh, yeah. Chicago has more problems with the e.coli than we do over here. Plus with Nikki being a young'un, she's more susceptible to the effects of e.coli than grown up doggies.

So, where's the pictures of Miss Nikki and Cody?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 11:56:04 am »
I wouldn't be worried by that. Saint Bernards need a lot of water - they have a lot of body to hydrate. And don't forget that it is summer, so of course big dogs are going to need to drink more water than usual to keep themselves cool.

Normally, Zoey will have 3-5 bowls spaced out through the day, but after a crazy play session, zoey can drink 3 of those bowls in one sitting.
RIP former BPO

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 12:18:18 pm »
I wouldnt worry either, after all a bit over a quart isnt that much lol..... Mind you it is a good question, as already mentioned here there could be issues that makes them drink a lot. the diabetes and problems with thyroids is already mentioned, with females that is unaltered you have the uterus inflamations, that makes them extremely thirsty. But all of the above is most unlikely on a dog as young as yours.

Both Hear and Galahad are big drinkers and will do a gallon sized dish down between the two of them.

And I echo what someone else said pics where is the pics lol

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline saints4life25

• Gnawer
  • Some of my very saintly crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 12:21:39 pm »
My saint bernards (12 of them) drink a 5 gallon bucket of water 2 times a day
i fill them all at about 6 am and then again at about 6 pm
saints4life25 :)
Jamie, brian, colton, nicholas, cassie, and the saintly crew whos names are: Budwieser bigmouth, saint polly girl, miss taqiula rose, hillsides tank of beer, hillsides keep n' the faith, connie fannie, beefy, jigsaw, poppy. oh yeah dont forget the horses and the geese and all 15 birds

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 12:28:19 pm »
re: pix...

i'd like to see saints4life25's 12 Bernies ... wow...  :o

my canon s410 is busted for the time being, this is the best i can do w/ my laptop's motioneye digicam: