Author Topic: berated by friend for my 'big dog obsession' (rant)  (Read 10595 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
berated by friend for my 'big dog obsession' (rant)
« on: August 26, 2005, 11:32:37 am »
we live in a 750 sq ft 3rd floor unit of a single family home - with a fenced in yard - in Chicago near sox stadium. real estate is a premium in the city, and my gf's still a grad student, so we're on a budget...

i'm beginning to find it annoying that i'm judged for keeping 2 rather 'large' dogs (golden and now st. bernie) in this "condition". my friends in CA says it's (and i quote) "just too mean to the dogs" because i don't live in a house w/ a big back yard.

we walk our dogs twice a day at the park, take 'em to the dog beach often, carry 'em for drives along the lake shore, feed 'em PREMIUM kibbles, have a pretty darn reliable vet. this year so far, my golden's been to the vet 4 times.

when I tried to adopt a golden in CHI, golden rescue of IL scoffed because we weren't (rich?) in the burbs w/ a huge backyard. when i tried to adopt in LA, they laughed because i said the dog MAY stay outside. catch 22 or oxymoron??? our st. bernie was obtained off craigslist.com from a desperate family. the golden was an older unwanted stud dog ex backyard breeder in the boondocks of IN. i'm not sure how else to get people off my back. would people rather see these things put down? or is my city apartment a better home? GEE i wonder..

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
Re: berated by friend for my 'big dog obsession' (rant)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 11:42:18 am »
I think it's really stupid when people assume you need a large house and yard for dogs.  I mean, come on.  They'll just want to occupy the same three feet you are in anyway!  phooey on them!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 12:28:51 pm »
Don't know who these California friends are.  Californian's are weird except for me, Jabear and Nickers and any other BPO here in the "golden state".  We get the name "golden state" because of our brown dry grass all over the hills this time of year.  Anyway, I am sure they live in grass houses so they better watch where they throw fireballs.  Just let them put a notch in their gun because their day is comming, guaranteed.

:P
Peggy

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 12:36:55 pm »
i had this exact conversation with marit last night.  i told her i feel bad for having two big dogs ain a not so big apartment (at least its an upgrade from the other one right).  i told her i feel guilt for not having a yard for them to run around and play in and dig holes in and such.  but the truth is, cody had a yard for the first 2 years of his life, we would put him out to go potty, and he would literally stand at the door and cry as soon as he was done cuz he wanted to be inside.  and dont thats cuz we were there, lol, if we went outside, he would still  rather be inside watching from the glass door. 

the good thing about apartments or not having yards, AS MARIT POINTED OUT, is that they get to go on walks every day and meet new people and smell new things.  its easy to have a yard and throw them out there with out walks every day, heck, i did that with cody cuz i was lazy lazy lazy.  but when you are in an apartment, you feel the need to walk them and take them to dog parks and such, so i think that is a nice pay off. 

and no, big dogs dont necessarily need big yards.  even if i had a yard, i would bet my life both my dogs would want to be inside on my couch (thanks jaime)...not in some dirty yard.  lol. 

youve got good food, a good vet, 2 dogs to PLAY WITH EACHOTHER WHICH I THINK MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD, lotsa love....what more could they ask for?

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 12:37:28 pm »
HI there!!!  Some people are very rude and don't THINK before they speak.  We live in a 1300sq ft ranch house with a basement we plan on finishing off soon so double the sq footage, and a HUGE backyard and still we get family and friends telling us Great Danes are too big to live in the house.  Some seem to think Great Danes or any giant breed for that matter should not even be considered a pet because they are too big.  Apparently we're just supposed to chain Koby up outside and let him rot or something.  What I'm trying to say is I know exactly how you feel when it comes to people saying rude things about big dogs and their living situations.  It's very frustrating to hear all the time!  If you think about it though, it doesn't matter what others say.  I've learned to let it go in one ear and out the other.  The love and slobbers I get from Koby makes ME happy, and in my opinion the others are missing out! lol

Andi

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 12:49:14 pm »
Yes, this is totally appalling behavior. Who do people think that they are? Would you come up to someone and tell them that they shouldn't have that second piece of cake because they're lookin' a little tubby? NOPE. Cuz its THEIR business. Same with the dogs. I personally feel that people should have to have big yards and houses for small dogs, cuz those are the ones with the boundless energy! hahahahaha! Cabeza is usually hiding all 100 pounds of himself under our bed, snoozing away. When he's awake, he's (like someone else said) trying to occupy MY three feet of space! hahahaha!

Don't worry about it, Tony. Just come here when you're frustrated. We'll make ya feel better...heheh ehee!

BTW, I see Cody's Paw Print....where's Nikki's? He is a super-cutie, I wanna see pics of him with his BIG sister! hehehe!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 01:01:29 pm »
Would you come up to someone and tell them that they shouldn't have that second piece of cake because they're lookin' a little tubby?

Ugh, my ex-husband used to do that.  He thought I was too fat, so if we were in the grocery store and I picked up a candy bar or whatever, he would say "You don't need that." and basically forbid me to have it  :(

I agree with everything else said - I think a lot of people don't understand that big dogs don't necessarily always have the boundless energy that smaller dogs seem to.  They just think bigger dog = bigger energy level.  

Nikki is right - even if you have a yard, your dogs want to be with you.  How many times have you seen a dog put by itself into a backyard start to just run around and play and wear itself out?  They usually lay down by the door and wait to come in.  They are social and want to be where everyone else is. 

I think it is much better for a dog, ANY dog, to get walks everyday and be exposed to new things, to go to the beach, to go to the park or for rides, even if they do have a yard to spend time in as well. 

Besides, anyone with a large dog doing zoomies around the dining table and wrestling on the bed knows that they can find plenty of exercise and activity in the space they have to work with.... 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 01:01:49 pm »
Tulsa and I live in a 20 unit apartment complex in Clovis, CA. There are 19 dogs, numerous cats, and the greatest neighbors you could hope for, except for the one guy that doesn't have a dog. (All the dogs bark at him when he goes by!) What's up with that?
He turned Tulsa in to the P.D. about a week after we had moved in, when the officer arrived, Tulsa greeted him, sat on command, and demanded his attention, nudging his hand for affection. As he handed me the warning, he was warming up to Tulsa, and apologizing to me about having to do his job. I told him that I understood, we're all bound to certain obligations.
Tulsa still barks and growls at that one guy.
The officer stops when he sees us on a walk and loves on Tulsa, and she loves back.
Sweet!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 02:03:44 pm »
I'm moving to Chicago in the next couple of months.  I'll be out toward Downers Grove.   Maybe we could have a play date sometime.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 02:09:41 pm »
John, I can truly picture the Clovis Police coming out on that call.  The Sheriff or even Fresno PD would laugh it off - only Clovis would issue a warning ticket.  Oh well guess that makes them feel good.

Anyway neighbor, we live between Sanger and Clovis and are planning a BBQ, hope you can make it.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 03:02:33 pm »
greek4,
a frenchie owning friend of mine lives out in Lombard, and Downers Grove has the benefit of that HUGE Fry's Electronics . so yah, hit me up when u move. there are a coupla really nice dog parks (registration and fees required tho) out around there...

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 03:28:05 pm »
tonyc, I live in a very small house with a very small yard in the Chicago burbs with my 3 BPOs, two kids, fish and hubby. Barely a day goes past that someone doesn't ask why I have such big dogs..or my favorite...Wou ldn't they be happier at a zoo? >:( They are dogs, not zebras for crying out loud!!
I like to ask people like that  why they have so many kids...or wouldn't their kids be happier in a small town, or maybe on a farm somewhere...Ya h, a farm, lotsa fresh air, space to run around in....
When they are offended, then I tell them that when they mind their own business I'll mind mine.
You and your BPOs are healthy and happy, so tell those Californians to get a life so they don't have to be butting into yours! (BPO Cali's excepted of course)
Stella

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 03:53:57 pm »
People are idiots!!!...Our home is 2800 finished sq. ft but guess what?...My 2 big guys are confined to two rooms & only go anywhere else in the house by our invitation...T hey are in the basement with me alot as my computer is down here & they don't seem distressed by it at all!...I have 8 cats who do naughty things that I have to clean up if the dogs infringe on cat turf so that is the way it is here...We do have a big fenced in yard for the dogs but for the 1st 6 months Samson was here thre was no fence & somehow he survived on leashed walks...My dogs hardly move anyway...Very low energy dogs as is your St. I am sure...Great Danes are popular apt. pets for the same reason...low energy...I can assure you that I am confidant that my dogs wouldn't have a better life in a 50 room mansion with full run of the house!!!...You know your dogs are o.k...When people say these things to you just smile & assure them that their rediculous little opinion has been duly noted! ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 06:03:43 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 05:46:59 pm »
I hate when people make comments....of most kinds lol...I have had Willow out and people tell me I am going to have to move...lol  Because my house is to small..I say talk to the hand!!!! 

Just don't let it bother you,,,you know yourself and your dogs and that is all that matter....

Grump - I had a relationship like that also...go to order starbucks and get all kinds of dirty looks and comments....so my response - the bird - your outta here!!!  And that was the end of that

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 06:07:02 pm »
Don't know who these California friends are.  Californian's are weird except for me, Jabear and Nickers and any other BPO here in the "golden state".  We get the name "golden state" because of our brown dry grass all over the hills this time of year.  Anyway, I am sure they live in grass houses so they better watch where they throw fireballs.  Just let them put a notch in their gun because their day is comming, guaranteed.

:P
Nicker isn't wierd? :-\ :D