Author Topic: What do you do when your big-paw falls?  (Read 5662 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
What do you do when your big-paw falls?
« on: August 26, 2005, 05:58:30 pm »
At our current house we have all hardwood floors and I hate them because Zoey keeps slipping on them. I have put area rugs where I can, and I try and to keep her nails short and the fur under her paws trimmed, but occasional slipping seems to be inevitable.

Today when I came home zoey was so excited to see me that she ran around the room and made herself fall. But it wasn't just an easy fall - it took her a full minute to get up and in that minute she just looked at me and whimpered. There wasn't anything I could really do though, and I felt so helpless I wanted to cry  :'( When things like this happen it makes me feel like my next puppy will have to be smaller because I don't think I can handle the stress and heartache of hip dysplacia again.

Is there anything I should be doing to help her when she falls? Is there anything else I can do to prevent it? 
RIP former BPO

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do when your big-paw falls?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 06:20:40 pm »
Oh, poor Zoey!  This happened occasionally to our previous newfie and also to a smaller Aussie mix (about 40 pounds) that my parents had.  It always seemed so awful!  We never found a good solution, but I have two ideas.  Maybe others can say whether they are good ideas or not.  (1) Perhaps Zoey could have some fancy doggie shoes.  I know they look silly, but they might keep her from slipping.  (2) Also, I took ballet classes for many years.  We used to put a little rosin (sp?) on our shoes to keep from slipping.  Maybe there is something like this that could make Zoey's feet less slippery?  I don't know if this would be too drying for her feet though...

I hope Zoey is feeling okay and that you find a solution soon!   :)

Jessica

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:23:45 pm »
we have hard wood floors also and Willow slips all the time...I hate it!!  My vet does chiropractic adjustments and told me to make sure if she has a decent fall to bring her in because the large breed dogs weigh so much it can cause them tohave skeletal problems and be out of alignment

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 06:31:10 pm »
Oh, poor Zoey!  This happened occasionally to our previous newfie and also to a smaller Aussie mix (about 40 pounds) that my parents had.  It always seemed so awful!  We never found a good solution, but I have two ideas.  Maybe others can say whether they are good ideas or not.  (1) Perhaps Zoey could have some fancy doggie shoes.  I know they look silly, but they might keep her from slipping.  (2) Also, I took ballet classes for many years.  We used to put a little rosin (sp?) on our shoes to keep from slipping.  Maybe there is something like this that could make Zoey's feet less slippery?  I don't know if this would be too drying for her feet though...

I hope Zoey is feeling okay and that you find a solution soon!   :)

Jessica

They have paw wax made for dogs that run on ice.  It might work.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 06:58:33 pm »
Do you think that bag balm on her paws would help? That's the only resin-like product I know.
RIP former BPO

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 07:08:26 pm »
Hmmm, I dunno.  Bag balm seems like it might make things even more slippery.... 

I am willing to bet that there is something out there made for show dogs to keep their paws from sliding on slippery show floors... maybe search around a little on the internet?  (BTW - I have heard the rumor that show dogs handlers will sometimes target this problem in a pinch by dipping the pads of their dog's paws of their dogs into Coca-Cola).
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline StBernardGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:19:46 am »
This is a really interesting topic because im renovating my house soon and we are looking at getting wooden floorsand when we get a saint im worried about them slipping..

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 06:54:47 am »
I have the same problem with Riley - he slips on the hardwood all the time.  I've got as many rugs as possible too, but like you said, when they get so excited, I think they really lose themselves and slip all over the place.  I get so nervous that hes going to break something!   I know I couldn't do the bootys because we've messed around and put socks on his paws for fun a couple of times and he has pulled them right off.  I'll do some research on line , but If anyone else finds anything to put on their paws to make them non or less slippery, please keep us updated!
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 11:19:07 am »
We've been talking about this thread at home since we're thinking of putting in hardwood or tile floors. 

My husband had another suggestion to help Zoey (and other slippery big paws).  Since you are in a place that already has hardwood floors, you could put temporary carpets in the places she is most likely to slip.  Such as the entryway, hallway or ???  If you want to go cheap, just see what is on sale or remnant or "lightly used" carpet is available.  Instead of doing a full installation, just put the no-slip rug padding underneath so it doesn't slip too badly.  It wouldn't be perfect or super fashionable, but it might help prevent falls.  Since it's not fully installed, it wouldn't damage the hardwood floors.

I'm still looking for other ideas...
Jessica  :)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 11:29:01 am »
I looked a little further and found this stuff called Sekur-Grip that says it can be used for a variety of things, including dogs paws for showing.... 

http://www.sekur-grip.com/sekurgrp.htm

I don't know anything about it, but I would also be willing to bet that if this exists, something else similar does too....

Hope it helps....
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 12:01:15 pm »
That looks like a neat product.  I'll bet it would help!  I wonder if the doggies would notice their feet are sticky?  I have this image of them pulling their feet way up in the air each time they step...  :D

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 12:15:34 pm »
Since my guys have never gotten hurt falling and their falls are more like out of control lay downs.  I laugh.  Maia will do the slippery foot dance every time she comes into the kitchen.  Rocco is more controlled on his feet but will occasionally wipe out when running around the yard.

I can tell you what not to do, don't mop your floor with furniture polish.  It makes it shine but it makes it slippier than ice.  Not that i have ever done anything stupid like that.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 02:01:08 pm »
Uh oh!  Hehe!  :D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 03:35:30 pm »
I went to petsmart last night and bought a product called 'Excel Paw Protector Wax' that says it protects/conditions paws and also prevents slipping. I am going to try it soon when she is feeling playful and running around. I will report back and let everyone know if it helps.

I wish I could take her falling lightly, but with her hips I really really worry. And lately it seems to be getting worse because she yelps/whimpers when she falls so you know it is really hurting her :(
RIP former BPO