Author Topic: peeing as a behavior problem?  (Read 4273 times)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
peeing as a behavior problem?
« on: August 29, 2005, 09:04:55 am »
nikki's had 'accidents' everyday since we've had her. she's 7months going on 8. her PO told us she was housebroken & she NEVER has accidents.

she never pees in front of us. always surreptitiousl y. like.. when i turn my back for 10 minutes, or when we take the other dog for a walk. when does she pee? :

scenario 1) when both dogs are together alone, she never pees, even after 7/8 hrs.
scenario 2) this morn, she peed on the hardwood floor an hour after her morning walk, while we took the other dog out
scenario 3) yesterday, she peed while we were both facing the computer, and the other dog didn't wanna play with her.

I bought weewee pads over the weekend. no effect. we've scolded her the last 2 times right after we 'caught' her, but her submission mode lasts about 2 seconds...

wtf are we doing wrong? anyone w/ training advice much appreciated.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: peeing as a behavior problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 09:13:57 am »
I would start potty training from scratch with her, that is what I had to do with Dilbert when he was just not getting it.

She could be marking??? Harley did this when we were looking after my brothers dog, after she left Harley marked. ( she only did this once and never again)

She could have an infection??

But my best advice is to train her over again from scratch.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 09:15:03 am »
Oh and clean the area that she messed as best you can, so that she won't pee in that spot again.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 09:18:39 am »
Grace did the same thing.  sometimes still does. 
She also had an infection...an tibotics cured the pee issue...to a point. :)  now she does it to be mean. 

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 10:45:53 am »
Kiya has a peepee problem too. I have to get a urine sample to the vet, I am planning on doing that this week. She's been penned up at night for a while now. She will pee in the same spot, only overnight. I get up during the night but I don't want her to get in the habit of going out in the middle of the night. One night I let her out & thinking it would be safe to leave her loose (it was about 4am) wrong, I got up at 5 & the rug was wet.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 07:48:50 am »
Hi.  I think of myself as an expert in this matter.  Call me a connoiseur of pee.  Hee Hee.   Some of these things you may already know  so sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already heard. 

1.  Of course, there could be a urinary issue like a mild infection or something else, so first I would bring Cody to the vet to make sure.

2.  Backyard breeders or a registered breeder for that matter could be completely lying to you.  Some of these people are such good liars, they believe it themselves.  Once they are finished with a dog, they will say anything to make you adopt them.  Some breeders treat their dogs like cattle.  They are not pets, or trained whatsoever.  They are kept in crates all there life either inside or out and they have little to know people experience.  Now I'm not saying that you're breeder was like this but it is something to consider.  The jack russell terrier breeder in my home town had tons of dogs in crates and the dogs were not trained whatsoever.

3.  Clean the affected spot with pet stain remover.  I'm sure you've heard this but it's super important.  Mr. Clean or Lysol is made with ammonia which smells like pee and they will keep peeing there. 

4.  Don't clean up the pee when your dog is watching. 

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 08:00:40 am »
Hi.  I think of myself as an expert in this matter.  Call me a connoiseur of pee.  Hee Hee.   Some of these things you may already know  so sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already heard. 

1.  Of course, there could be a urinary issue like a mild infection or something else, so first I would bring Cody to the vet to make sure.

2.  Backyard breeders or a registered breeder for that matter could be completely lying to you.  Some of these people are such good liars, they believe it themselves.  Once they are finished with a dog, they will say anything to make you adopt them.  Some breeders treat their dogs like cattle.  They are not pets, or trained whatsoever.  They are kept in crates all there life either inside or out and they have little to know people experience.  Now I'm not saying that you're breeder was like this but it is something to consider.  The jack russell terrier breeder in my home town had tons of dogs in crates and the dogs were not trained whatsoever.

3.  Clean the affected spot with pet stain remover.  I'm sure you've heard this but it's super important.  Mr. Clean or Lysol is made with ammonia which smells like pee and they will keep peeing there. 

4.  Don't clean up the pee when your dog is watching.  I find it funny but it could be true.

5.  Put the dog out after eating, sleeping, and playing.

6.  My Saint Maxwell took 7 freakin months to properly house train.  It finally just clicked in his head and he hasn't had an accident in a long time.  (Well, at other people's houses he has had accidents but it's a bit of confusion I think on his part.)  My cocker took like 2 weeks to be trained and he was only 10 weeks old.  Some dogs learn quick and some don't.  We did the same things for both dogs so it wasn't a matter of consistency either.  My Saint was just slow to learn.  My friend had max's older brother and her's was the same thing.  HHHUUUGGGEEE  Puddles.

7.  Try to restrict his mobility during periods of alone time.  I baby gate Maxwell in the hall sometimes at night or when working.  They don't like to pee where they sleep.  When he sleeps in our room we can hear him ask to go out so there's no problem. 

8.  Maxwell would not bark to go out.  He knocks on the patio door with his paw.  I've heard that some people hang bells on door knobs that the dog could jingle.  A lot of people don't like the fact that their dog asks to go out and they think that dogs shouldn't and should only pee when they are allowed to go out.  Personally, I don't follow that philosophy.  I wouldn't want to be told when I can go so I don't expect my dog to enjoy that either.

Well, that's all I could think of as hints.  I hope some helped.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 09:27:18 am »
thanks for that well thought out reply Saintly Girl!
that said, after 2 incidents yesterday, we've pinned Nikki's 'accidents' (which don't seem so accidental after all) to separation anxiety.

after all, the 7mo Saint's (rescued from a desperate family) only been w/ us for a week, and she is showing EVERY classic sign of pet 'separation anxiety'. the hard part is, we're moving into a new (much larger) place in about a week, so even when we train her 'separation anxiety' out this week, she'll p'bly repeat it next week again.

my 4 yr old GR Cody also exhibited 'separation anxiety' when we first took 'im away from the backyard breeder. but w/ a lil trickery and patience, he is really gentle and at peace with the world now.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 10:05:19 am »
Whoops.  My bad.  I totally got your two dogs mixed up this morning.  I thought Cody had the problem and the breeder said he was totally trained.  That's what I get for posting replies first thing in the morning.  I was still sleeping I think.  It's funny.  Oprah was on yesterday and her cocker had seperation anxiety.  I never watch Oprah usually but the topic sparked my interest.  She had a dog whisperer on the show and he gave her tips on what to do as her cocker Sophie was howling avery time she left the house.  You might want to check her website and see if the episode is mentioned and if any tips were helpful.  I can't remember everything he said and as opposed to giving you the wrong info, you should check it out.  http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml

Yup.  It's on her page.  Check it out.  Good luck!!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 01:03:23 am »
HHMMM.. My son's Cocker and my Big boy Aidan had "pissing" wars when Max (cocker) came to live with us. He was 3 years old.  He was not Neutered and we had him "cut" immediately.  Now Aidan still tries to "mark" in the house.  Something he NEVER did before Max came to live.  WE had to go "back to the basics" with both of them.  I have felt like a puppy is inside for 3 weeks now, but it is working.  That and Natures miracle on thier puddles!  Aidans is more obvious, a lake, but hubby is getting way tired of the crap as am I, and lots and lots of outside time.  Easy for me as I don't sleep well anyway and every 3 hours I am up and restless so we go out for "pee time"  CRAZY!  My least favorite past time is coming home from work and taking my babies out of the kennel just to have them pee on the door when they come in!   AAAAHHHHH!!!!!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson